Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for MA bi-fuel conversion

Hello Friends,

I am new to CNG forums like this. I appreciate all the effort you are putting into educating people like me to be motivated to buy a CNG vehicle.

Now, I am looking to purchase my first car and hence need help. After reading through your website, I feel that it is better to buy a bi-fuel (gasoline as well CNG). Gasoline is mainly when the vehicle runs out of CNG.

Initially, we have planned to buy one of the following:

Suzuki xl7
    Suzuki Grand vitara
    Mazda CX7
    Mitsubishi outlander

Is there a conversion kit for these vehicles.

I live in Massachusetts and I could not find a service in Mass even after going thru' your list of service centres. Could anyone of you kindly help me to be green.

Many thanks
    Sincerely,
    Nature

Available conversions

Welcome to CNGchat NATUROSES!
    The list of available conversions is here:
    http://www.ngvamerica.org/pdfs/marke...ses.NGVs-a.pdf

The main proponent of CNG in Massachusetts is AVSG, who operate the refueling station network. You may wish to have a chat with Larry Order at AVSG who can give you some pointers on possible bi-fuel vehicles that may be for sale in your area.
    http://www.avsglp.com/about.htm

Comment

Re: CNG service shops - master thread

Hi John,

Thank you for your e-mail. How to contact Larry Order? any phone numbers?e-mail address??

Thanks once again

Comment

Welcome to the group. Always great to have a new face in the crowd. I would suggest you spend some time in the conversions forum to educate yourself on the subject. The simple answer to your question is no, there are no EPA approved kits for the vehicles you are considering.

I might suggest taking a long look at the choices you've sighted. Edmunds now offers a TCO (True Cost to Own) feature on their site. Personally I'd not even consider most of the brands you mention for a number of reasons, but you need to discover them for yourself.

Stay with the top 3 and you'll be glad you did in the long run. The only conversion options that seem to exist today are GM and Ford products. The options are listed in the conversion forums (there are 2 forums titled conversion).
        There are already many fleet vehicles on the road, and coming out of fleet service that can be had at a great price right now. Check Craigslist and Ebay to research your options.

Comment

Hi Curtis, Thank you for your advise. I can also go with ford too. The reason I am going with SUV type is because of family and space issues and CNG fitting is for cost to run.

I have also looked into Ford escape hybrid, but it is very expensive for my budget. I thought of Honda NGV (even though small ) but there is no bi-fuel option.

I am planning to buy a new model (2008) rather than old because I may qualify for low %APR and then convert to CNG.

I quickly tried to do an online (ebay) search with CNG cars or bifuel cars for sale butvey few hits mainly for family cars and no SUV'S at all.

Could some you suggest me how to look and search for these SUV's. I can also go with Ford if these are only vehicles which have the CNG/Bifuel service centres.

My main idea is to go with a 2007/2008 model family car and then convert CNG (to make it a bifuel Car).

Any thoughts and advice will be greatly appreciated.

I will go through the forum more and learn more. Please help me to buy my first car which be green. I live in Jamaica plain, Massachusetts.

Thank you
          Nature
          Last edited by NATUROSES; 04-21-2009, 07:38 AM. Reason: forgto to add a statement

Comment

There are very few models available, and I don't think any of them meets your wants. Unless you change your criteria, I don't think you'll find a suitable bifuel car.
            02 GX
            01 GX
            03 Crown Vic
            06 GX
            Home Fueler

Comment

Re: Looking for MA bi-fuel conversion

Hi Freedml, Thank you, But could you please let me know what are those few vehicles which have this bifuel options?

Thanks again

Comment

Here's the list of current models:
                http://www.ngvamerica.org/pdfs/marke...ses.NGVs-a.pdf

You can also buy a Cavalier or a few other models, but they stopped making them in 2005.
                02 GX
                01 GX
                03 Crown Vic
                06 GX
                Home Fueler

Comment

Nature, a conversion runs about $13,000. Best option is to buy at auction. There's no incentives yet for bi-fuel vehicles to help offset the costs.

Here is a link to the tri-state GSA auction in NY. Perhaps your solution is here... for about $5000.

http://www.tristateaa.com/AboutUs/auctions_gsa.html

Comment

Hi Curtis,

Thank you for the link but unfortunately I am unable to see any vehicles to choose from. One thing I should let you all know that I am new to this country and hence probably may not be good enough to buy a car in an auction myself or for that matter not even know the quality of cars here in USA going thru' auction and more importantly added to this situation is that I am a first time car buyer (my first ever car).

Also, I wanted to update you all on one thing.

Today, I contacted Ford and they can do a CNG-Gasoline (Bi-fuel version) of Ford Focus (~23K) as well as Fusion (~29K). The person with whom I spoke to is very friendly and probably has lots of patience. But, I explained him my need (space in the trunk for strollers, big diaper boxes etc.,) and asked him about an SUV and he said that in 6 months time (presumably, lot less than that) they will do CNG conversions for Ford Escape and it comes to around 30-32K which is a lot of money for me to spend to get a Bi-fuel car. This person also said that the ford factory warranty will still be there too as well 8 year/80,000 miles on CNG fittings as well!. He also said that once they sell the car to me they will set up a ford dealer for servicing the car as well in Boston!!. They shipping is free to a local ford dealer too.!!!

Today, I am surprised that many of my work colleagues suggested me to buy a Honda, Toyota or any Japanese car and not an American Car. I am really surprised.

My Disappointment: Looking at the prices of CNG or CNG-Gasoline Bi-fueled cars, I am really feeling that that I cannot buy any one for my budget. CNG conversions of my chosen models (like Honda CR-V etc.,) is hard to find and new bi-fueled cars cost a fortune for a family man like me. Yes, there is an option of buying a used/pre-owned CNG-Gasoline car but I am worried about the quality of the vehicle as well the CNG fittings especially in terms of leakage etc.,. I do not want my infant and ourselves to be at risk.

To be green is hard and difficult. Can someone help me to be green.

Many thanks,
                    Sincerely,
                    Nature

Comment

GSA vehicles often are low miles and well maintained. They are also inspected and repaired (if needed) prior to being put up for auction. They tend to be very affordable these days as well. I noticed that the link didn't take you to the cars they are auctioning, but digging around will reveal the upcoming auctions and vehicles available.

I suspect you may have an issue with getting a loan given your imigration status. I would do some checking to see if you can get pre qualified for a loan. That will help you determine what you're shopping for. The banks have been very skittish since the mtg melt-down. Lots of cars went back to them along with the house.

Your friends are right, domestic cars don't tend to hold up as long as the Japanese cars, but selection is limited to domestics for your needs. It is what it is. Things are changing and more vehicles will become available as time goes by, as the Ford dealer indicated.

My cohort here on cngchat, John Mitton is working on a GM conversion for the Chevy 5.3L, but I don't know that it will have a dual fuel capability. Something to check on. He also has the Impala, which you can check out on the top right corner of the forum header. Again, not dual-fuel.

Hang in there, brother. I think the auction may be your best bet, along with Craigs-List. A lot of things were converted in the early 2000's that might fit your needs and they pop up for sale from time to time.

Comment

Hi Curtis:

Thank you for your e-mail. More improtantly, thank you for your valuable time.

From the day you told me, I have been checking on craigslist boston as well as Ebay for bi-fuel cars.

The reason I went for a mid-size SUV is because of the baby stroller which needs to be taken everywhere as you may understand and then after that we also go to BJ's and Costco for shopping and hence thought space is important. Also, if it is CNG bi-fuel, the tank will occupy most of the place in the trunk.

Yes, loan may be a problem hence not trying to depend so much on loans. I can afford to pay around 10 grand for a decent vehicle. But once we find a vehicle, I can also pay some money as a downpayment too. So, I am very pleased that these auctions are there, but I will need some help when I go there to choose one car/suv.

Sincerely,
                        Nature

Comment

Working...
                        X