LPG to CNG Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LPG to CNG Conversion

I have a 79 Ford Ranchero with a bored and stroked 1969 429 running a total of 484 cubic inches.

I have been successfully powering this unit with propane for over a decade, running a 4 venturi EcoCarb ~650 cfm with a large Vialle mixer. I have a 1.25" vapor fuel line and a 3/4" liquid line back to a 40 usable gallon tank. All this work was done in Canada in the mid 90's.

Since then I have moved to California and run a 2000 dedicated CNG Ford Crown Vic. Propane is relatively expensive and hard to find, but my CNG access is awesome.

How hard is the conversion from LPG to CNG? Anybody got some good links?

Thanks, oovah

Re: LPG to CNG Conversion

Welcome aboard oovah, thats my kind of car--sounds really great and ought to run like a rapped ape.

Is the Ranchero registered in Calif yet? If it is you are darn lucky! If not, you will have rought time getting it through Calif SMOG unless you find a "Dumb" SMOG tech. The conversion needs to have a CARB EO number (California Air Resources Board Executive Order Number). You might BS your way through, but I doubt it. You will have to pass Ca SMOG in order to get the car registered in Calif.

As for converting the Ranchero to CNG, you may be a little short on air flow if you use try an Impco 425 mixer and model "E" regulator (for CNG not LP). The mixer was rated at about 425 CFM. If you could find an OHG 450 and an X-2 regulator you might enough flow. Although they were rated at 450 CFM, they have been flow tested to 525 CFM. I run a 450 on my 460 Ford towing a trailer on LP and have no problems, but I don't usually go over 4,000 RPM

Good luck and again welcome to CNG Chat

Larrycng

Comment

Hey Larry,

No luck in registering it in California. I have almost given up and just leave the Alberta plates on it. Not the best option, but what can you do.

So, how does one get a CARB EO?

oovah

Comment

I didn't figure you would get by Calif SMOG Oovah. The Alberta plates still sound like the best answer. If you know someone in Whatcom county Washington or some other place that doesn't have a SMOG inspection where you can register the car, you're screwed.

If I remember my Calif law, if you live in Calif you have to have your vehicle registered in Calif., especially if you have a Calif. driver's license. Some get away with having a vehicle registered in Calif, (doesn't help you) if they are residents of some other state and spend part of the year in Calif. Also if you are employed in Calif, you must have a Calif driver's license.

You could buy 3 Rousch Propane pick-ups (or the new CNG pickups they are suppose to be working on) for what it would cost to have the Ranchero CARB certified. (I'd rather have the Ranchero if I had the money). I think CARB is www.arb.ca.gov

Good luck

Larrycng

Comment

create a llc or a s corp out of state and be a employ of said corp and tag it out of state at the corp office and it is your compeny car and they cant make you register in cal as it belongs to a out of state corp and you are just a employ driveing said car not the owner I think nevada has ez corp laws dont know about smog if it is good enouff for big biz it is good for me

Comment

Working...
          X