Diesel Bi-Fuel legal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diesel Bi-Fuel legal?

So I'm kinda confused now. I was under the impression that bi-fuel conversions were illegal as well, but after reading another thread on the site, it seems like maybe they're not, as long as they leave the emissions within reasonable limits? Wow, so the way it SHOULD be for gasoline engines, is how it IS for diesel?

Or are we just looking the other way with diesel discussions? If it's legal to do diesel bi-fuel conversions, I'm going to start looking really hard into that!

So what's the verdict? Legal or not?

Re: Diesel Bi-Fuel legal?

Jury still out on that I think, I know Bully Dog which does something very simular does not have an EPA cert. And technically it is not bi-fuel but rather blended.
    sigpichttp://WWW.CNGMOTORS.COM
    SAVE TIME. SAVE MONEY. SAVE THE ENVIRONMENT.

2003 Hummer H2 bi-fuel
    2000 GMC Yukon XL bi-fuel
    1999 International 4700 dual-fuel
    2007 Chevy Avalanche bi-fuel

FMQ2-36 Fuelmaker w/ 24 GGE cascade

Comment

I hate doing this.

If you're dealing with "blended fuel" the fuel is stored mixed in the fuel tank as is Hythane (20% H2 and 80% cng) and they don't separate.

You are talking a "dual fuel" system; the vehicle has two separate fuel systems and engine runs on both fuels at the same time. This paraphrased defination is from FMVSS 303 (49 CFR 571.303). and California (CARB and the SMOG boys) has it backwards from the Feds

The bi-fuel system has two separate fuel system but runs on only fuel at a time. This is hardly the case with the system you are talking about; it can run on diesel alone, but the system can not run on the CNG (LPG or H2) alone.

Just a bit of nit pickin to keep terms straight and help reduce confussion. No offense intended.

Larrycng

Comment

Originally posted by larrycng View Post
        I hate doing this.

If you're dealing with "blended fuel" the fuel is stored mixed in the fuel tank as is Hythane (20% H2 and 80% cng) and they don't separate.

You are talking a "dual fuel" system; the vehicle has two separate fuel systems and engine runs on both fuels at the same time. This paraphrased defination is from FMVSS 303 (49 CFR 571.303). and California (CARB and the SMOG boys) has it backwards from the Feds

The bi-fuel system has two separate fuel system but runs on only fuel at a time. This is hardly the case with the system you are talking about; it can run on diesel alone, but the system can not run on the CNG (LPG or H2) alone.

Just a bit of nit pickin to keep terms straight and help reduce confussion. No offense intended.

Larrycng
        No offense taken. I'm glad you could set me straight. The terms are all kinda muddled. So clarity is refreshing.

Nevertheless, I'm trying to find out if it's "legal" to install a system which will run a mixture of natural gas and diesel at the same time, or be able to just run straight diesel, if CNG is not available.

Comment

Working...
        X