No announcement yet.

What conversions are shops working on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What conversions are shops working on?

I know that there are not a lot of shops that get EPA certification for conversions but does anyone know what conversions are currently going through the process of being certified?

Re: What conversions are shops working on?

That would be next to impossible to determine. There are probably a half dozen fuel system suppliers in the US (a liberal guess) and probably a couple of hundred shops, many of them doing custom installs. The variable combinations are numerous.

On many systems, a change in injector hose length changes the injection delay time which will have an effect on the injection strategy. Changing a shift value on many systems will have a minimal but measurable effect as well.

Until a manufacturer supplies a system that is non adjustable, there will be variables.

Franz

Comment

Sounds like there could be a lot of variations on installing a kit. But, does anyone know of a shop actively pursuing an EPA certified kit on a consumer vehicle?

Comment

Impalas coming soon!
        http://www.naturaldrive.com/
        BLUE 09 GX

Comment

I know of the following new certs coming down the EPA pipe by year-end:

www.naturaldrive.com
          * 08 Impala 3.5 and 3.9 liter dedicated CNG
          * 08 GM 5.3 liter platform, dedicated CNG (Suburban, Tahoe, Silverado, Avalanche, Yukon, Sierra)

www.transecoenergy.com/pages/CNG_Conversions.htm
          * 08 Ford Focus bi-fuel (public announcement due next week)
          * Ford F150 bi-fuel

This is in addition to the current certs out there.
          http://www.ngvamerica.org/pdfs/marke...ses.NGVs-a.pdf

Comment

"I know of the following new certs coming down the EPA pipe by year-end:

www.naturaldrive.com
            * 08 GM 5.3 liter platform, dedicated CNG (Suburban, Tahoe, Silverado, Avalanche, Yukon, Sierra)"

WHOOOOoooooo HOOOOOoooooooo Can't Wait
            Mario
            AAA CNG SYSTEMS
            CSA Certified CNG Cylinder & Fuel System Inspector

Comment

I heard on this forum that the Chevy Malibu was being converted from a place in Arizona.

Comment

A bi-fuel Malibu is being prototyped by a group I know, but not sure where they are on the EPA path. I will ask them if they want this posted.

Oh, and on the NaturalDrive Impala we finally got our EPA confirmatory test date set for Oct. 22nd. Wish us luck

Comment

So how did the tests go?

Comment

No reply from EPA today on the Impala confirmatory test.
                    Should hear from them tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by CNGCARS View Post
                      "I know of the following new certs coming down the EPA pipe by year-end:

www.naturaldrive.com
                      * 08 GM 5.3 liter platform, dedicated CNG (Suburban, Tahoe, Silverado, Avalanche, Yukon, Sierra)"
                      I'm just curious as to why dedicated CNG on these? For the super low emission status? I have a bi-fuel 6.0l suburban and 5.3l silverado, don't think i would like to venture too far from the hacienda if they were dedicated.

Another rant I have is about this long process of the EPA certs. Are we (a nation) interested in reducing our dependance on oil ? Lets cut through some red tape already!

Sorry, I'm still bumming about my regulators not working. I'll have to pull them out and sacrifice some more knuckle meat I guess.

Comment

Generally the saying goes that no news is good news but I think that is the case when you are expecting bad news. But, since we are all expecting good news on the EPA certification of the Impala, no news appears to be bad news. How is the testing coming along?

Comment

Impala DONE!

Steve,
                          We got the cert today
                          http://www.cngchat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=19476

Comment

Woo hoo! I read the post, looks great! Now I need to finagle my way into an Impala some how.
                            Last edited by Steve; 11-08-2008, 01:21 PM. Reason: changed from very poor grammar to poor grammar

Comment

Colorado incentives rock

Steve,

As a Colorado taxpayer you can get 75% of the Impala conversion covered in a tax credit. We can supply you with documentation to prove-out the ULEV standard (it's odd how Colorado follows EPA standards but the tax credit statute follows California).
                              http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/prog...nd.php/CO/5246

The federal $2,500 credit takes the incentive up to a free conversion
                              Go find a used 2008 Impala and take it over to Wes & Holly.

Comment

Working...
                              X