This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Import cng conversion

I received a call from a fellow doing his own conversion on an import (obviously not a certified kit). I can not find the fuel pump relay, where is it located on a 2003 BMW?
    Here is the scoop --- There is no relay --- The fuel pump is turned on by the "SIM" module located in the right B pillar. The "SIM" is connected to the gateway computer "ZGM" which is connected through the CAN bus to the "DME". The wire between the "ZGM" and the "DME" is called the "BYTEFL" or (byteflight) a fiber optic cable. You need a scanner to verify that the request from the DME is sent to the ZGM then from the ZGM to the SIM (You cannot pierce a fiber optic wire and check signal voltage).
    Manufacturers are turning fuel pump control over to the seatbelt module as it receives information from the crash sensors and will turn the fuel pump off in an accident. In a nutshell, check restraint codes when looking for fuel pump problems as the restraint module actually turns it on and off.
    Another short story in the "buy it cheap, bolt it on, and it works like magic" world. He is not my customer so I gave him the information and told him to watch this site for others to chime in.
    Anyone out there who can answer this SIMPLE fuel pump question any better, please feel free to do so. This bolt on kit is beating him up & he needs some direction. If you would like to talk directly to him I can provide information so you can help (he does not live in Utah).
    Stan

Re: Import cng conversion

Is he afraid the fuel injectors will leak while he is running on CNG?

Otherwise, why does he need the fuel pump relay? The fuel regulator should cycle the fuel pump off automatically, unless its mechanically controlled, in which case it still wont matter, unless the fuel injectors leak when they are closed?

Collision detection possibly?

Comment

Good questions. I asked him --- he is afraid the fuel pump will wear out running constantly while driving on cng & it is an expensive part. I asked him a couple more questions. He is trying to use a fogger unit because it was less expensive. The instructions told him to inturrupt the power to the fuel pump and injectors.
      At that point I told him he was on his own. He is trying so hard to save money that he is creating a lot of problems for someone to fix by the time he is done. I believe this thread is over --- there is no use to even try and help him. I was just trying to be a nice guy. Why someone would be so willing to mess up an 03 BMW to save a few bucks on fuel is beyond me!
      Stan

Comment

Stan,

Don't waste your time helping these people install illegal conversions. For now I will close the thread. Send me a PM if you really feel this discussion is in keeping with our rules and I will discuss it with the other moderators.
        http://cngchat.com/index.php?pid=9#furtheringillegal

Comment

This is a perfect example of why the average, or even above average talent. shadetree mechanic can not do these conversions themselves, and why it's ill advised to try. Cars aren't what they once were. They are computers with wheels and even the gasoline versions require highly specialized equipment to diagnose and work on...

Yeah, let's hack this system up... and add some stuff that the manufacturer never intended... into stuff that we don't understand... to get results that we can't anticipate... Great idea!

Comment

Working...
          X