Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sea Foam and CNG?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sea Foam and CNG?

    Hi:

    Since my own car (gasoline) worked wonders when I made a complete Sea Foam treatment (e.g. 2 bottles with 3/4 brake booster, 1/2 crankcase and the rest into the tank), I was wondering if Sea Foam is safe for CNG cars... I know you obviously can't pour that or other additives into the CNG tank, but I have a some questions:

    1. Are you able to Sea-Foam a CNG car?

    *The following questions only apply if #1 is "yes"
    2. Aside from again, not putting it into the CNG tanks and common sense stuff like not doing it in a closed garage, is there any precautions that should be taken?
    3. If anybody has tried it, is the difference significant enough to warrant Sea-Foam treating a CNG vehicle, or have any side effects?

    Thank You,

    Ed

  • #2
    Re: Sea Foam and CNG?

    I hope someone can answer this for all of us. It works wonders to get rid of check engine lights and improve performance, but other than the crankcase and the gasoline tank, how could the cng system get flushed?

    I had a fuel system cleaning done on a dedicated Crown Vic and Ford's ingredients for their flush kit are similar to Seafoam. But I don't trust myself to work on Fords, I'd probably make matters worse.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Sea Foam and CNG?

      LOL yeah... The car in question IS a '91 Ford Taurus.
      Last edited by EdWaRdW818; 07-19-2008, 01:26 AM. Reason: Caret intended as arrow, not thumbs-up

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Sea Foam and CNG?

        If you think about what a fuel system flush does, which is clean the valves and interior ingine parts of carbon build-up, then there would be no real reason to do this on a dedicated vehicle. The lack of carbon in the engine is a key benefit of CNG. On the other hand, a bi-fuel vehicle that see's some use of gasoline would stand to benefit from a periodic cleaning. In a bi-fuel vehicle the cleaning process would be the same as on a regular gasoline vehicle.
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4586_1441434431016_578[/ATTACH]

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Sea Foam and CNG?

          Originally posted by Curtis View Post
          If you think about what a fuel system flush does, which is clean the valves and interior ingine parts of carbon build-up, then there would be no real reason to do this on a dedicated vehicle. The lack of carbon in the engine is a key benefit of CNG. On the other hand, a bi-fuel vehicle that see's some use of gasoline would stand to benefit from a periodic cleaning. In a bi-fuel vehicle the cleaning process would be the same as on a regular gasoline vehicle.
          Oh OK... I just haven't taken apart his car to see, but 1. According to the previous owner, the car was ran on gasoline for some time before it was converted to CNG, 2. there might be some dust build-up that could've been missed by the carburetor filter, and 3. I'm also kinda trying to figure out a throttle response issue on his car; my car's throttle response went from barely functioning to the throttle response of an Italian race car after I Sea-Foamed it.

          But my main concern is: To do this on a pure CNG vehicle, is there any volatility issues? I don't want to pour it into the brake booster line and have the engine explode on me or something LOL.

          Thanks for your help!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Sea Foam and CNG?

            what is sea foam?

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Sea Foam and CNG?

              Originally posted by Curtis View Post
              If you think about what a fuel system flush does, which is clean the valves and interior ingine parts of carbon build-up, then there would be no real reason to do this on a dedicated vehicle. The lack of carbon in the engine is a key benefit of CNG. On the other hand, a bi-fuel vehicle that see's some use of gasoline would stand to benefit from a periodic cleaning. In a bi-fuel vehicle the cleaning process would be the same as on a regular gasoline vehicle.
              Even the dedicated Fords get dirty from time to time. There's a TSB and a special Motorcraft solvent used to clean out the injectors.

              The problem with bi-fuel is that many don't have a vacuum line to the brake booster going only to the intake. So for those, you'd have to pour into the throttle body.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Sea Foam and CNG?

                Originally posted by Idarusskie View Post
                what is sea foam?
                It's a liquid that cleans out the engine.
                http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTech.htm

                Originally posted by alliedmotors View Post
                Even the dedicated Fords get dirty from time to time. There's a TSB and a special Motorcraft solvent used to clean out the injectors.

                The problem with bi-fuel is that many don't have a vacuum line to the brake booster going only to the intake. So for those, you'd have to pour into the throttle body.
                As in the intake's vacuum line, or actually spraying it in through the butterfly valve?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Sea Foam and CNG?

                  you can fill the CNG filter bowl with it, but I think it has too much oil in it for these injectors. if you use seafoam you should follow with an alcohol type injector flush, like Motorcraft injector flush.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Sea Foam and CNG?

                    Sea Foam works great on CNG vehicles. We take the CNG filter off and fill it 1/2 way with Sea foam then dump the rest in the gasoline tank. This will help with a stickey CNG injector. I have not had any problem letting it pull into the vacume system on a 01 GM 6.0. We use it on every thing. It is magic. As a mater of fact I am doing it to a truck this week end....Mine.

                    Tom

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Sea Foam and CNG?

                      Originally posted by TOMTGT View Post
                      Sea Foam works great on CNG vehicles. We take the CNG filter off and fill it 1/2 way with Sea foam then dump the rest in the gasoline tank. This will help with a stickey CNG injector. I have not had any problem letting it pull into the vacume system on a 01 GM 6.0. We use it on every thing. It is magic. As a mater of fact I am doing it to a truck this week end....Mine.

                      Tom
                      On a duel fuel, I guess. I'd rather have the injectors removed and cleaned off the car myself.
                      Last edited by kierandill; 08-23-2008, 04:47 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Sea Foam and CNG?

                        Tom,

                        Have you ever used seafoam in the filter bowl on a Civic GX? I am wondering if the injectors and regulator would be too finicky for running it through them.

                        -Daniel

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Sea Foam and CNG?

                          We use it on our bi-fuels works great.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Sea Foam and CNG?

                            If I'm going to add sea foam to the filter bowl, is there a way to shut off the gas at the tank so I still have some gas to run the seafoam through the system after I fill it? I have an 02 Chevy Silverado C2500. I don't want to be smoking like crazy at the fill station.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Sea Foam and CNG?

                              Im new to CNG vehicles but my brother-in law uses sea foam on his company trucks and swears by it. Ill be adding some myself.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X