Pre-1996 Vehicle Conversions & Legality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-1996 Vehicle Conversions & Legality

I understand that the topic of 'illegal' non-EPA approved conversions can be contentious and is not allowed here.

However, I would like to clarify something... would non-EPA certified conversions of older vehicles, e.g. pre 1996, be illegal? My understanding is that the EPA regulations relate to the sensors mandated in 1996 and newer vehicles.

I have an interest in exploring the possibility of a low-cost conversion of an older vehicle, but I do not wish to pursue this matter on the forum if it is illegal and contrary to forum policy.

Comments on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by blueandwhiteg3; 06-29-2008, 05:31 PM. Reason: Clarification

Re: Pre-1996 Vehicle Conversions & Legality

Welcome to CNGchat.
    My understanding is if the older vehicle has no OBD controls you are OK. Keep in mind, however the cost of the conversion vs. the remaining life of the vehicle to see if it will pencil out.

You might want to contact the nearest installer listed here to discuss your options:
    http://www.cngchat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27

Comment

I am located in Washington State, not far from Portland, OR. Sadly, no installers seem to be located near me on that list

Comment

Blue,
        What engine are you thinking about converting?
        Your Friendly Nazi Squirrel Administrator

Comment

I don't yet have something specific in mind. I have a few older vehicles on hand and have been considering purchasing another older vehicle (smaller car) for daily use and possible conversion. This would mean that I could select whatever made the most sense.

The most fundamental problem I am starting to see here is fueling. There are no CNG stations very near me at all. (Portland, OR/Vancouver, WA) And the only one in the area (~20 miles away) runs around $2.65/gge right now - yet I know they pay under $1/gge for natural gas, so they're either moving very little volume or getting a huge profit.

Natural gas would cost under $1.50/gge if I fueled up at home, but a $4000 investment into a compressor would take quite some time to recoup. There are no state tax incentives here.

Comment

Originally posted by blueandwhiteg3 View Post
            ...Natural gas would cost under $1.50/gge if I fueled up at home, but a $4000 investment into a compressor would take quite some time to recoup. There are no state tax incentives here.
            Where can you get a $4000 compressor in today's market?

I might have to buy it just for resale
            2008 GX (extended range, trunkless version)
            Polished Metal Metallic 2012 Civic Natural Gas
            Fuelmaker FMQ-2-36 (since 2001)
            Previously owned: 2000 GX (11 years), 1995 Bi-fuel Sonoma, 2000 Bifuel Tahoe, 2000 Bi-fuel F150

Comment

Working...
            X