Mechanic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mechanic?

Does a certified mechanic HAVE to install you Cng conversion kit for it to be legal and where does it say that he has to do it? Also where is it written that the system has to be EPA approved?

Re: Mechanic?

Pezer, I am continuing to look into the kits that are available. Like was stated EPA kits as far as I can tell are sold to the shops that install them. Most of these kits are for late model American cars and trucks. I have seen web sites that sell more generic kits that are not EPA approved. One in particular is made by iyoiyoyy a company out of Argentina. In a state where you don't need to have the car emission tested I would think you could put one of these kits on any car. According to the Emissions board where I live (Springville Utah) as long as the car retains the original smog equipment and passes the tailpipe standards for that year and is not OBD II you should be fine. The OBD II Cars that are converted need to communicate with the cars computer and be able to set all the readyness codes. An old Mechanic, Jim
    Last edited by younkin; 06-07-2008, 08:41 AM.
    Jim Younkin
    www.younkincng.com

Comment

Originally posted by casainc View Post
      For your second question - It isn't.
      You know, casainc many of us are getting tired of your misinformation regarding the requirement for all vehicles (conversions included) to conform with the Clean Air Act. So I have an idea: why don't you go ahead and start promoting and selling the non-conforming kit you are so fond of and I will ensure the EPA provides you with the education you lack in this area of the law.

Comment

nice comment casainc!!! thats exactly what I have observed.

Comment

Casiac, John and Bretlott, I will never own a factory installed CNG car, they are all either too expensive or American cars (I have yet to find any EPA approved kits for Import cars), I do however want to put CNG on my own cars. I will never own an American car again (except for my 62 Studebaker) because I hate working on them, they break down and they have low resale value. I have my reasons for this prejudice (like 30 years repairing 1000's of cars) but to each his own. The cars I want to convert are a 69 VW camper bus and a 90 Honda Accord. After I acquire the kits and get them running I will let everyone know how it goes. I will become a AFV certified shop and mechanic, I am in the process of doing that now but everything takes time. I think there should be room on this board for all views, EPA or non EPA, An old Mechanic, Jim
          Jim Younkin
          www.younkincng.com

Comment

belive me , when you go to school and learn the systems, and the regulatory agencys that control , such as nfpa-52 you will not want to install , repair until your properly trained, no one is telling you ; you can;t do it yourself, or use outlaw kits;go for it, it will be like working on a airplane, that you are not trained on, use south american , non certifyed parts, of which you are going to fly on!! the answer lies in the training, please get some befor you blow someone up, could be you!

Comment

Working...
            X