Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are CNG prices rising... or going to go up anytime soon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are CNG prices rising... or going to go up anytime soon?

This excerpt from a recent NGVi article, which references the Clean Cities Alt Fuel Price Report, might put your fears to rest and serve to confirm you made a smart choice with CNG. Since the advent of the shale deposits about 2 years ago, and CNG permanently disconnected from it's age-old habit of tracking oil prices (less about 40%), CNG has been the most stable fuel in the fuel market. How do you spell ENERGY SECURITY.

CNG Fuel Price Report
    From Clean Cities Alternative Fuel Price Report published by Argonne National Laboratory for DOE's Clean Cities Program

Overall Average Fuel Prices
    (as of October 2011)
    Nationwide Average Price for Fuel This Report Nationwide Average Price for Fuel Last Report Change in Price This Report vs. Last Report Units of Measurement
    Gasoline (Regular) $3.46 $3.68

$0.22

per gallon
    Diesel $3.81 $3.95
    $0.14 per gallon
    CNG $2.09 $2.07
    $0.02 per GGE

Re: Are CNG prices rising... or going to go up anytime soon?

Not at my house. LOL
    Oct 2011 $.73
    Nov 2011 $.69
    Dec 2011 $.80
    Jan 2012 $.79

Comment

Excellent point AmFuel in Wisconsin !!! Great chart to be PUBLISHED on cngchat would be effective COST of home cng refueling in all 50 states based on actual NG cost and estimated electricity costs and estimated compression/equip cost. Anyway you compute it, end price per gge would be enticing for others to join in.

Home refueling with VRA is definitely the way to go for individual drivers of NGV's. Would even be better if Fuelmaker or competitor could offer mini fast-fuel capability with say 8 gge's of storage in a tank that sat outside garage.

What's shocking about Curtis' stats from NGVi article is that VIRTUALLY ALL of California, New York, Colorado, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and Nevada are ALL about 20% to 25% MORE that national average for cng!!! WOW, we know who the predominant provider of public cng is involved.
      Last edited by KSneedsCNG; 02-03-2012, 06:53 AM.

Comment

If you look at the futures price trend for natural gas, prices at the pump really ought to be dropping:

http://www.oilnergy.com/1gnymex.htm

I've been surprised that prices haven't changed at all in the LA area in the time I've had my Crown Vic, last 6 months. Have been meaning to contact SoCalGas, just out of curiousity about how they set prices. I think we all know how worthwhile it would be to contact Clean Energy...

Still a great deal relative to gasoline or diesel though. And wouldn't mind SoCal earning some good profits on this business line for a while if it meant expansion into markets they don't serve currently. LAX airport station to compete with CE, please!!

Comment

last I checked, Azusa station was at $1.89 per GGE, from $1.96, so it went down.

Comment

Here is the socalgas rate tarrif http://www.socalgas.com/regulatory/t.../pdf/G-NGV.pdf Looks like $.91 / therm for compression and about $.35/therm for cost of gas plus taxes. The rates are a little different at the station, as they have slightly different cost of gas in each "BTU DISTRICT"

Comment

wow - love this forum! fascinating there is so much "fixed" cost in this, i.e. $1.27/gge in compression, procurement, etc. cost for gas itself currently is similar to the residential price quoted by Amfuel in WI, $0.60-0.70/gge depending on BTU district. Comforting to know that even if the underlying natural gas futures price doubled from current, expected pump price would only go to $2.25-$2.60/gge. for SoCalGas stations, anyway. Not so with gasoline, where the prices at the pump seemed to move almost percent for percent with the futures price.

I think this insight would be great fodder for a marketing campaign for SoCalGas, or even CE...

Comment

Enjoy the low price while you can. Commody price has been all over the map fot the last 5 years, hitting $10 in 2008 and well under $3 in the last year. We have a huge n.g. market imballance now, in the us. This will not last..............

Headlines 2011-Germany announces it will shut down all nuke power plants in the next 15 years, most replacement generation-n.g. as fuel.......Headlines 2011- after the disaster in Japan, The government convinces Tepco to shutdown a currently operating large nuke power station, until retrofitting can be done to guard against another disaster. Japan is building new thermal plants- N.G. fuel to replace the station with 5 ruined reactors, and also planning for increased elec. demand....Headline-China is still growing it's elec. demand , and is having a hard time finding enough coal on the world market for it's coal thermal generating plants .................................................. .................................................. ..............

Headline - a whole bunch of LNG tanker ships are under construction in asia, and a whole bunch of LNG infastructure is being built in the U.S. There goes the 100-200 year supply of U.S. natural gas...to europe and asia.
                Last edited by Lakewood90712; 02-15-2012, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Hi all. Newbie here. It's $1.85 here in Oklahoma City. I'm looking to buy a CNG or bi fuel truck and know nothing about it except it's cheaper. I'll start a new thread when it lets me. lol

Comment

I think these numbers for diesel/gasoline are too low, but that's my opinion.

The Natural Gas Conversion Hits a Speed Bump

Comment

Over here on Long Island
                      Average for regular unleaded $3,99-$4.05 gallon
                      Diesel $4.39-$4.49 gallon
                      CNG $2.65-$2.75 GGE (That is from general public stations which has $1.00 markup in it)

Comment

In utah you have to legislation for the price to rise as far as i'm aware. It's nice! there are however the tax credits and expire and are renewed that effect the price.

Comment

Working...
                        X