Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I get rid of a car with Expiring Tanks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I get rid of a car with Expiring Tanks?

I have a 1997 Crown Vic with about 10 months left on the tanks, but I don't drive it anymore. I have a newer F-150 that has become my daily driver. The issue is that I don't know how or where to get rid of the Vic.

What are the odds that there might be a school or training center that mighttake the car in trade (for teaching students how they work) in exchange for some free service/preventative maintenance over the next couple of years?

Frank Q.

Re: How do I get rid of a car with Expiring Tanks?

What does the odometer read? What condition?

Comment

Our member GREENFLEETS had some newer Crown Vic CNG tanks in stock which could be used to prolong the vehicle life. Please send him a Private Message from here:
      http://cngchat.com/forum/member.php?674-GREENFLEETS

Comment

That's right John. We will be updating/upgrading several mid to late 90's Crown Vics with 3,600 psi tanks and fillers good thru 2019/2020. I'm also working on extended range packages and possible PI intake upgrades as well.
        We will be doing a lot of transport business to/from CA, UT, TX, and OK before the end of the year, so if anyone is interested.....
        Your Friendly Nazi Squirrel Administrator

Comment

Personally, Id like a source of cheap expired tanks from a crown vic, to upgrade my Towncar to cng- these stupid expiration rules are just another example of a government on steroids- spinning wheels to impress superiors and liberal dumasses, passed without substance.

Comment

rtry9a
            I'm really sorry you feel that the safety rules that are in place are "without substance." Is also possible that you feel that property damage, personal injury and human death are also "without substance"

Maybe you can suggest some practical rules and safety procedures that would provide some reasonable amount of protection the public and CNG community?

Your turn

Larrycng
            Last edited by larrycng; 09-02-2010, 09:19 AM. Reason: typing cought up with brain

Comment

All the reports say the same thing... safety inspections of automobiles do not improve public safety. Until I see something that indicates undamaged tanks will rupture after the date expires, Im skeptical. The only ones who profit from these faux safety regs are the techs/mechanics who charge for unneeded labor. Ive worked with and manufactured wound composite pressure tanks most of my working life- they dont rupture unless damaged by significant overpressure, sunlight degredation, or something physical that penetrates or cuts fibers. IMHO, the only real problem is linked to hoses and fittings, those leak- not particularly dangerous from explosion or fire hazard.
              Last edited by rtry9a; 09-03-2010, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Sigh, and we wonder why we lose hair!

Comment

Originally posted by Franz View Post
                  Sigh, and we wonder why we lose hair!
                  That easy... you worry about unimportant things that have no relevance. How long do you think we suffered through owning automobiles (and innovating improvements) before the government got involved? Im all for safety, but that responsibility is mine, not some high school dropout masquerading as a mechanic working for minimum wage at the local tire shop.
                  Last edited by rtry9a; 09-03-2010, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Why not train the "the high school dropout" I've seen many HS dropouts that turned into darn good mechanics -- but they wanted to learn

Larrycng

Comment

Now that we have went a few different ways with this thread, I could sell this car to some "sucker", but then I would have to live with my conscience. I only have about 85,000 miles on the car and the engine is solid. However, suspension is weak, paint sucks, and one window doesn't roll up or down without assistance.
                      I was looking more towards how can I find a CNG training program at a local community college where I could donate the car to the program in exchange for a little "free" preventative maintenance labor in the near future on my other CNG vehicle.
                      This way, we can hopefully assist the above mentioned high school drop out in becoming a CNG mechanic (which are very lacking today) that can further assist our community as well as assist in expanding the non-fleet privately owned CNG vehicle community.

Frank Q.

Comment

Rio Hondo College has such an alt fuels program, as well as College of Desert. I believe John Frala heads up Rio's program. I'm sure he'd love the donation, although I'm not sure about the other half of your proposal. It's worth discussing. You should be able to Google John and come up with some contact info. Tell him Hi for me.

Comment

If that lead turns up nothing, and you are interested in donating to another state. You might want to give Michael Millet at Salt Lake Community College (SLCC) in Salt Lake City, Utah a call. He is an automotive instructor there. He might be interested in taking the car as a donation. Of course, Utah has plenty of Crown Vics going around.
                          Jared.
                          Mountain Green, Utah
                          2003 CNG Cavalier
                          2003 CNG Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Rtry9a, I applaud your libertarian spirit. DOT is too ineffective, lazy or whatever to sufficiently collate existing data on these vehicles or otherwise allow for any retesting to demonstrate that without obvious exposure to elements or other negligent damage these tanks would all last significantly longer than 15 years. I know the guru's disagree and they are at liberty to do so whilst we can hold other opinions.
                            BTW, I spoke to someone recently who said they have seriously considered granting another 5 year extension to the 15 in recent legislation. Can anyone confirm if that is accurate?

Comment

Originally posted by bruin View Post
                              BTW, I spoke to someone recently who said they have seriously considered granting another 5 year extension to the 15 in recent legislation. Can anyone confirm if that is accurate?
                              With the current NGV2-2007 regulation, tank manufacturers can now make tanks with a 25 year service life, if they choose to do so. Of course, this ruling does not make previously certified tanks good for 25 years. They still have their 15 year service life.
                              Jared.
                              Mountain Green, Utah
                              2003 CNG Cavalier
                              2003 CNG Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Working...
                              X