Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 Cavalier not getting Full Fill Up

Hi,

I have a 2002 Cavalier. I've had it for almost two years now and everything runs great. I have started having some issues with the tank not holding a full fillup. I consistently can only get 3.5 gge with 4 gge max. The station I fill at has a digital pressure reading and even if it finishes at over 3600 I still can only fit 3.5-4 gge. Any thoughts?

Dave

Re: 2002 Cavalier not getting Full Fill Up

When you go to refuel (or when changover to gasoline occurs) what fuel level does the gauge in the dash show? After you refuel, what does the dash gauge show? What kind of range are you getting from the car on a "full" tank? If the tank is truly empty, you should be able to get nearly 5.5 gge on a fast fill and a bit more with a slow fill. Although the dash gauge computes fuel level by using both tank temperature and pressure, changeover occurs due to low tank pressure only. A defective tank pressure sensor can cause this or (less likely) liquid buildup in the tank itself.

Comment

The gauge will show "Empty" when switching to gasoline. After a "full" fillup which is only 4 gge the gauge will read just above 1/2. I am only getting around 100 miles/tank.

Comment

You need to get to a dealer or someone who has a Tech2 to see what the tank pressure sensor is reporting. Although the gauge is reading "Empty" there may still be fuel in the tank that cannot be used if the sensor is wrong. At your station, look at the pressure at the start of the fill and watch it until it reaches 100% and shuts down. The initial fill pressure should be very low (near 200 psi) if everything is right with your car and the final pressure should be around 3600. If the gauge zooms right up to say 1500 psi, I would almost bet that the pressure sensor is failing and is way out of calibration. I can't remember off the top of my head but I think if you pull the plug on the fuel pressure sensor, the fuel gauge (of course) won't read correctly but the engine will not switch to gasoline until the actual pressure in the tank drops to near zero. It could be worth a try.

Comment

Working...
        X