AB 1500 signed by governor!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AB 1500 signed by governor!!!

Just got an email that Governor Schwarzenegger has signed AB 1500, which extends carpool access for white sticker vehicles until 2015.

Press release from Assemblymember Lieu's office follows:

Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger has signed Assembly Bill 1500, by Assemblymember Ted W. Lieu (D-Torrance), to continue California’s commitment to encouraging the use of low-emission, alternative fuel vehicles by extending access to HOV lanes until January 2015.

“Over the past few years the state has taken the lead to reduce reliance on petroleum and transition to more alternative fuels and cleaner vehicles,” said Assemblymember Lieu. “Continuing the HOV lane incentive for buyers of alternative fuel vehicles is consistent with our past and current efforts and should be continued.”

Access to HOV lanes has been an important non-monetary incentive for fleet owners to buy alternative fuel vehicles. Because fleet owners need adequate lead time to make vehicle replacement decisions, it is important that they be assured the single occupancy HOV lane access will be continued beyond the current sunset date of 2011.

“I am very pleased that the Governor recognizes the importance of this legislation which will improve air quality and reduce greenhouse gasses by encouraging the use of electric and natural gas vehicles,” said Assemblymember Lieu.

“I applaud the Governor for approving this critical environmental bill that will promote green vehicles that operate on natural gas and other clean fuels,” said Tim Carmichael, President of the California Natural Gas Vehicle Coalition, sponsor of the bill. “AB 1500 provides a real incentive for Californians to drive cars that enhance the state’s clean air, energy security, and global warming goals, while also fostering job creation and green tech growth here in California.”

AB 1500 is strongly supported by Clean Energy, CalStart, Energy Independence Now and Honda. It takes effect January 1, 2011.

Assemblymember Ted W. Lieu represents the 53rd Assembly District, which includes El Segundo, Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach, Torrance, Lomita, Marina Del Rey, and portions of the City of Los Angeles.

Re: AB 1500 signed by governor!!!

I was reading that we may be getting green stickers, instead of our white ones. I hope they mail out replacements and we don't have to fill out another form and wait for the DMV. Only 40,000 available. I think it was for electrics, NGV's, and plug in hybrids? Not sure about the plug in Hybrids, but NGV's and electrics for sure.

Comment

Green Stickers? Where did you read this information. Please post a link.
      Thanks!
      Silver 09 GX
      Phill G:1.5

Comment

The bill allows SULEV and ILEV cars which includes the Prius. Although the CARB website says the no hybrids will be allowed. Anybody care to explain the apparent conflict ? As to the issue of stickers ? Where did you read that new ones were going to be issued ?

CARB boilerplate:

Yellow Clean Air Vehicle Stickers were provided to 85,000 qualifying hybrids. These stickers will expire on December 31, 2010. However, there is pending legislation that would extend the use of these stickers until July 1, 2011.

White Clean Air Vehicle Stickers are available to qualifying Federal Inherently Low Emission Vehicles (ILEVs). Cars that meet these requirements are typically certified pure zero emission vehicles and compressed natural gas vehicles. These stickers will expire on December 31, 2010. However, there is pending legislation that would extend the use of these stickers until January 1, 2015.

Pertinent AB1500 text:

(1) A vehicle that meets California's super ultra-low emission
        vehicle (SULEV) standard for exhaust emissions and the federal
        inherently low-emission vehicle (ILEV) evaporative emission standard,
        as defined in Part 88 (commencing with Section 88.101-94) of Title
        40 of the Code of Federal Regulations.
        (2) A vehicle that was produced during the 2004 model-year or
        earlier and meets California's ultra-low emission vehicle (ULEV)
        standard for exhaust emissions and the federal ILEV standard.

This site will be updated once any pending legislation is signed.
        Last edited by p71; 07-08-2010, 10:30 AM.

Comment

The Prius and other hybrids meet the SULEV standard but they do not meet the ILEV emissions standards and are excluded from AB1500.
          GOTO
          http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/faq.htm
          You will find that the ILEV standard from the EPA eliminates any vehicle that uses gasoline.. This includes
          PRIUS- As it has a gasoline engine
          PRIUS PLUGIN- Yep gasoline engine
          VOLT- Whoa... Gasoline.
          Tesla- No Gasoline- PGE is very happy on this one.. Qualifies
          Leaf- No Gas- PGE is running those windmills at full... Qualifies
          Beloved NGV's- No Gas...Methane..Qualifies
          Silver 09 GX

Comment

This just extends the date for existing stickers though right? It doesn't open any more, for example, when I get my Leaf end of this year/early next year, I won't be able to apply for a sticker will I?

Matt

Comment

Thanks for clarifying the fact that both State and Federal hoops must be jumped through. Of course the final word will be CARB's and when it comes to them ....oh well

Comment

iMiev - OK - but don't run the air conditioner

Comment

Originally posted by mathewbeall View Post
                  This just extends the date for existing stickers though right? It doesn't open any more, for example, when I get my Leaf end of this year/early next year, I won't be able to apply for a sticker will I?

Matt
                  The DMV site has white stickers available but the are numbered.
                  Silver 09 GX

Comment

Originally posted by lcovelli View Post
                    Green Stickers? Where did you read this information. Please post a link.
                    Thanks!
                    Here it is. Scroll to the bottom of the page. Under the highlights.
                    http://www.mercurynews.com/mr-roadsh...urce=autofeed#

Comment

Originally posted by ajgiorgi View Post
                      I was reading that we may be getting green stickers, instead of our white ones. I hope they mail out replacements and we don't have to fill out another form and wait for the DMV. Only 40,000 available. I think it was for electrics, NGV's, and plug in hybrids? Not sure about the plug in Hybrids, but NGV's and electrics for sure.
                      There is a second law pending SB 535 which would allow 40,000 green stickers for plug-in hybrids till 1/1/2015 and extend the yellow stickers for regular hybrids to 7/1/2011. This has not yet passed.... I don't believe there is a limit to the white/silver stickers (AB 1500) for CNG or electric vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by johnson12345 View Post
                        There is a second law pending SB 535 which would allow 40,000 green stickers for plug-in hybrids till 1/1/2015 and extend the yellow stickers for regular hybrids to 7/1/2011. This has not yet passed.... I don't believe there is a limit to the white/silver stickers (AB 1500) for CNG or electric vehicles.
                        There is NOT a limit on the white stickers for ILEV's.
                        This SB535 is a VERY bad idea. It was not a bad concept to include REAL
                        EREV's (Extended Range Electric Vehicles) that have a substantial benefit and require incentives, but the way it was recently watered down it would allow very weak PHEV's such as the Prius gen 3.

This is nothing more than another attempt to put an almost 100% gasoline vehicle into the carpool lanes (single occupant) again. It was a major F'up the first time, and would only serve to line the pockets of Toyota, raise dealer prices, and Delay the advancement of true clean fuel vehicles. It pretty much removed almost all incentive for people to get EV's and CNG's, and advance infrastructure.

It is known that if weak hybrids were not given the HOV gift, the proliferation and state of the technology in CNG's and EV's/EREV's would be much farther along.
                        So for the common person, why step up to a true Clean Fuel Vehicle if you can just buy another gasoline car (Prius)? A 10-12 mile plug in range is a total Joke. Now the Volt, with a 45 mile range and something like 45 mpg there after COULD require some incentives, as it is an EREV vs the Prius a PHEV. The Volt is 100% Electric drive. (and it is a lot more expensive, and worth it. I've driven it)

This SB535 NEEDS to be ammended or stopped.

I have been involved and driven Electric Vehicles since the inception of the EV-1, brought several very significant EV charging/parking benefits to the community. I have fully supported CNG's and related infrastructure since GM took back my 3rd EV-1.
                        Once you drive pure EV and it fits a major part of your life style, you come to realize how superior it is. For longer missions, CNG certainly holds the superior capability and I drive the GX as my only car.

I am working with the folks who are involved in supporting Plug-ins to take a stance against this destructive bill.

For those who like the Prius, I do too. I rent one when over I'm in need of a rental and I can get one. It's a high mileage gasoline car, and shouldn't get the HOV lane benefit, because:
                        it has no need for the incentive, and merely serves to destroy the value of the incentive to push for major advancement of TRUE Clean Fuel Vehicles. Driving CNG's and EV's requires some paradigm shift and effort in their adoption. To get people to get off their parked positions and do something requires high value incentives. This is just that incentive.
                        Aloha,
                        Jeff

Comment

Also this SB535 doe snto take effect until 2012 and by then the 10 freeway and 110 freeway in LA will be HOT lanes, further reducing any incentive to get ANY of these cars. It will also be a rush to the door to see who can get which behicle fiorst, as they are all on dofferent timelines, waiting lists, etc.

***More importantly, RE the original post about SB1500, has anyone noticed that the legislation says only SULEV/ILEV vehicles get the white sticker, but when you go to CARB's website, the state lists the civic GX as neither, but as a APTZEV (same as hybrid). I called them to ask if the white sticker would be extended/issues for the GX still and they had no idea, they needed to research and said to check the webiste for any changes in classification.*** Remember the state is fairly inept.

Comment

Originally posted by gassipper View Post
                            ***More importantly, RE the original post about SB1500, has anyone noticed that the legislation says only SULEV/ILEV vehicles get the white sticker, but when you go to CARB's website, the state lists the civic GX as neither, but as a APTZEV (same as hybrid). I called them to ask if the white sticker would be extended/issues for the GX still and they had no idea, they needed to research and said to check the webiste for any changes in classification.*** Remember the state is fairly inept.
                            So to quote the AB 1500 law:

"(1) A vehicle that meets California's super ultra-low emission
                            vehicle (SULEV) standard for exhaust emissions and the federal
                            inherently low-emission vehicle (ILEV) evaporative emission standard,
                            as defined in Part 88 (commencing with Section 88.101-94) of Title
                            40 of the Code of Federal Regulations.
                            (2) A vehicle that was produced during the 2004 model-year or
                            earlier and meets California's ultra-low emission vehicle (ULEV)
                            standard for exhaust emissions and the federal ILEV standard. "

To figure out which cars meet California's SULEV definition, you need to know the difference between SULEV, LEV, ULEV, ATPEZ, and ZEV.

LEV: Low Emission Vehicle. All new cars sold in California starting in 2004 have at least a LEV emissions rating.

SULEV: Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle. SULEVs are 90% cleaner than the average new model year car.

PZEV: Partial Zero Emission Vehicle. PZEVs meet SULEV tailpipe emission standards, have zero evaporative emissions and a 15 year / 150,000 mile warranty on its emission control components. No evaporative emissions means no unburned fuel escapes from the fueling system.

AT PZEV: Advanced Technology Partial Zero Emission Vehicle. AT PZEVs meet the PZEV requirements and have additional "ZEV-like" characteristics. A dedicated compressed natural gas vehicle, or a hybrid vehicle with engine emissions that meet the PZEV standards would be an AT PZEV.

ZEV: Zero Emission Vehicle. ZEVs have zero tailpipe emissions and are 98% cleaner than the average new model year vehicle. These include battery electric vehicles and hydrogen fuel cell vehicles.

In other words, LEV is the worst in terms of emissions, while ZEV is the best. CNGs are AT PZEV which have less emissions that SULEV and thus meet requirements for the white sticker. CNGs have nearly zero emissions! If the person you spoke to at ARB doesn't know, call them back and fax them their factsheet before they get confused and start denying white stickers to CNG vehicles.

www arb ca gov/msprog/zevprog/factsheets/driveclean.pdf (put a period in the spaces -- stupid website won't let me post a URL)

PZEV, AT PZEV, and ZEV all meet requirements of SULEV and are cleaner that SULEV vehicles!

Comment

I am SOOOOO happy right now!!! At least, we do not have to worry about it for another 4 years. Thank you Ted Lieu for introducing the bill, Arnold for signing it, and all of you for pushing them for it! YAY YAY YAY!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X