I've just watched Gasland on HBO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've just watched Gasland on HBO

Gasland, on HBO by Josh Fox. What an eye opener! I didn't realize the way in which some of our natural gas was produced. Not to say that the film is 100% accurate, if it is only half way correct for even 10% of the gas we use, what a shame. All I would do is to encourage everyone to at least see the film, which, I believe, exposes a real problem, then maybe get together to find a better way than is described in the movie to mine our clean gas. Don't get me confused with anybody that has strong political or environmental beliefs, I'm driving my Civic for the sheer economics and advantages of less competition for freeway lanes. I've done some googling, and have found various takes on the "documentary", regardless, it still makes one think.
    Chuck J

Who wants to see another 8th Gen Civic, anyway?
    Addicted to Unique Rides

Re: I've just watched Gasland on HBO

DEBUNKING GasLand THE MOVIE Page 1 of 3
    Josh Fox makes his mainstream debut with his fictional rant film targeting natural gas – but how much of it is actually true?"

One glaring error in the film is the suggestion that gas drilling led to the September fish kill at Dunkard Creek in Greene County. That was determined to have been caused by a golden algae bloom from coal mine drainage, (from CONSOL Energy discharge), NOT natural gas drilling.

Attached below are 2 reports from the Colorado Oil and Gas Conservation Commission. The Commission investigated the Markham and McClure water wells, each referenced in the movie Gasland. Sample results showed that the water wells contained naturally occurring biogenic methane gas. In each case, the Commission found that the complaints were unrelated to oil and gas activities.

Read all

Comment

Is everything featured in the recent movie "Gasland" accurate?

June 18, 2010 The movie "Gasland" promotes ideas that have found to be false, inaccurate and misleading about natural gas drilling.

"Gasland" Claim: Natural gas extraction is exempt from federal regulations.
      Fact: The process is subject to a host of federal, state and local regulations that cover everything from initial permits to well construction to water disposal.

"Gasland" Claim: Natural gas drilling caused flaming tap water.
      Fact: Colorado regulatory authorities investigated the claim long before Gasland was made and issued a statement that they fully investigated the claim. Their investigation found that the methane in the water well had nothing to do with natural gas drilling and was naturally occurring.

"Gasland" Claim: A 35 mile fish kill in Dunkard Creek in Washington County, PA was caused by natural gas drilling.
      Fact: The Environmental Protection Agency investigated this incident and tied the fish kills to coal mine runoff.

"Gasland" Claim: The makeup of fracturing fluids is unknown.
      Fact: The chemical additives have always been included on the material safety data sheets at drilling locations. Drilling companies also voluntarily post the additives at fracfocus.org. A recently passed bill in Texas, HB3328, requires the posting on a well-by-well basis on the same site.

http://bseec.org/content/debunking-g...Fad_Qgod22QABA

Feb 2011...Colorado Oil and Gas Conservation Commission, which tested Markham's water in 2008, there were "no indications of oil & gas related impacts to water well." Instead the investigation found that the methane was "biogenic" in nature, meaning it was naturally occurring and that his water well was drilled into a natural gas pocket...

http://www.anga.us/the-truth-about-gasland

June 21, 2012...Congressional testimony of EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson: "I am not aware of any proven case where the fracking process has affected water."

http://www.anga.us/blog/2012/6/21/th...ecord-straight

June 20, 2012 "This video, like other pieces that are attributable to Mr. Fox, is irresponsible and meant to drive fear. It has no place in credible, science-based discussions about our nation's energy future."

http://www.anga.us/media-room/press-...n-flawed-video

June 8th, 2010...HBO’s decision to air the GasLand documentary nationwide represents Josh Fox’s first real foray into the mainstream...

“I’m sorry,” Josh Fox once told a New York City magazine, “but art is more important than politics. … Politics is people lying to you and simplifying everything; art is about contradictions.” And so it is with GasLand: politics at its worst, art at its most contrived, and contradictions of fact found around every bend of the river. Against that backdrop, we attempt below to identify and correct some of the most egregious inaccuracies upon which the film is based (all quotes are from Josh Fox, unless otherwise noted)...

...“What I didn’t know was that the 2005 energy bill pushed through Congress by Dick Cheney exempts the oil and natural gas industries from Clean Water Act, the Clean Air Act, the Safe Drinking Water Act, the Superfund law, and about a dozen other environmental and Democratic regulations.”

This assertion, every part of it, is false. The oil and natural gas industry is regulated under every single one of these laws — under provisions of each that are relevant to its operations...

Far from being “pushed through Congress by Dick Cheney,” the Energy Policy Act of 2005 earned the support of nearly three-quarters of the U.S. Senate (74 “yea” votes), including the top Democrat on the Energy Committee; current Interior secretary Ken Salazar, then a senator from Colorado; and a former junior senator from Illinois named Barack Obama. In the U.S. House, 75 Democrats joined 200 Republicans in supporting the final bill, including the top Democratic members on both the Energy & Commerce and Resources Committees...

http://www.energyindepth.org/debunking-gasland/

Comment

Re: Is everything featured in the recent movie "Gasland" accurate?

Hopefully, the up and coming FrackNation documentary will help correction some of the misperceptions:

"TV spot advertising FrackNation, a feature documentary about one journalist's journey for the fracking truth. Premiere on Mark Cuban's AXS TV on Tuesday Jan 22nd, 9PM ET. Directed by Phelim McAleer, Ann McElhinney and Magdalena Segieda. For more information go to FrackNation.com, facebook.com/FrackNation, twitter.com/FrackNation."

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqRyyzoARJo

As "Executive Producer" (I donated $20), I get to attend an exclusive theatrical premiere and after party in LA on Jan 10th!
        Backers on the east coast get to attend an earlier event in NY on Jan 7th. Maybe someone there can give some early feedback.
        White '09 GX

Comment

Re: Is everything featured in the recent movie "Gasland" accurate?

Good to see that hype and inaccuracies of GasLand are being set straight.

Lingo still needs help as "Fracking" term doesn't make sense since the process is FRACTURING formations in deep underground wells (now many that are horizontal) to release the oil and gas. There is no K in fracture. Guess we're stuck with it however.

Anyway, industry needs to get past this and UTILIZE the NG reserves here in USA and immediately put them to use for transportation fuel . . CNG/LNG!!

Comment

Working...
          X