X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cng oso
    • Dec 2009

limit on amount of stored fuel?

Does anyone know a link to some DOT regs on the amount of stored fuel that can be mobilized on a vehicle? Is there a volume limit? Could extra cylinders be utilized as a cascade to refuel other vehicles (e.g. ICT's on a small fleet of courier GX's) At the point that fuel is exported from the donor/storage vehicle does it become a re-fueling facility? Curious, as if that would be the case it could be difficult to meet regulatory standards, but possibly open the door for gratuitous incentives available for "refueling facilities" I think TSG sells high cap temp gas supply trailers for this purpose, leading to be belive it may be posible.
  • cng oso
    • Dec 2009

Re: limit on amount of stored fuel?

Found; US DOT and Transport Canada Regs (DOT E13173 and TC-SU-6039) any other suggested reading or thoughts on the topic from the insightful, helpful members of this forum would be appreciated.

Comment

• Curtis
      Co-Founder CNGChat.com
      • Sep 2007

AFV Fleet services sells a fuel transfer hose to accomoodate what u suggest. I don't know of a max fuel capacity for a vehicle. I'd imagine that as long as the tanks were safe and legally installed, you could do as many as u caould find room for. Just remember that you have about 20% of your storage pressure that caan be delivered at full pressure. The max delivery would be at pressure equalization. A trailer makes sense for a fleet of large remote vehicles with no infrastructure access. If all u need is for emergency rescues on a fleet of light duty GX's, just spend the $2k for the transfer hose and you're set. All you really need is a few gallons delivered on the odd occassion from the sounds of it.

Comment

• Gerben
        • Apr 2009

I don't see any real problems. What you need is a couple of cylinders with a manual shut-off valve on each and a transfer hose. I wouldn't expect to fill the recipient car for more than 60% with 3 bottles though (theoreticly you could get 82% if the cylinders are equal in size).

Comment

Working...
        X