Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any special requirements for a CNG pressure gauge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any special requirements for a CNG pressure gauge?

Besides the obvious need for the gauge to be rated for the pressure, is there anything else?

Or is a gauge is a gauge is a gauge?

?Innovation is driven by having access to things.? -- Gleb Budman, CEO of backblaze.com

Re: Any special requirements for a CNG pressure gauge?

It is my personal preference is to use a liquid (silcone) filled gauge, this is not a requirement. NFPA 52 requires a gauge with a restrictor orfice and must read 1.2 times system pressure.

Larrycng

Comment

Originally posted by larrycng View Post
      NFPA 52 requires a gauge with a restrictor orfice and must read 1.2 times system pressure.
      What is the operational purpose of the restrictor orifice?

Can you point me to any mfg's or suppliers?

?Innovation is driven by having access to things.? -- Gleb Budman, CEO of backblaze.com

Comment

any hydraulic or welding supply like airgas usually keeps gauges in stock. 4000-5000 psi would be good.. I just need a female connector for the fill port and can make one for myself... I have several gauges floating around the garage

Comment

The orifice is there to reduce the flow if the gauge is broken off. Top shelf gauge suppliers include WIKA and Ashcroft, with others as good as. Just remember the 1.2X safety factor, minimum.

Any adapter you might make should hold at least 4X the max pressure in the system. I recently saw a 1/4"NPT galvanized elbow on a CNG system. This had a 125 psig working pressure but it actually held 3600 psig.

Franz

Comment

Originally posted by Franz View Post
            The orifice is there to reduce the flow if the gauge is broken off.
            Roger.

Is there a spec on the size of the orifice?

Comment

I guess the only thing remains is the 0.055" (or #54 drill) orfice size requirement (NFPA 52 - 5.6.2). Without the restriction, if the the tube in the gauge ruptured the flow would be equiviliant to a line breaking. That is why the pressure gauges are not allowed in the passenger compartment; tube rupture, gas flow and gauge len material flying all over the place, it ain't pretty

Larrycng

Comment

Working...
              X