does anyone have a handy table of common conversions

eg. x btu = 1 therm
    x cubic feet = 1 gge
    x btu = 1gge
    scfm / btu
    Last edited by cng oso; 12-06-2009, 08:13 AM. Reason: typo

Re: wanted conversion table

I believe these numbers to be correct:

123 SCF (Standard Cubic Feet) with a BTU Factor of 1000 = 1 GGE (Gasoline Gallon Equivalent)

The BTU factor is a property of the gas that tells how much energy is contained in 1 SCF of gas or how much heating ability is contained in that SCF. The standard BTU Factor is 1000 but gas companies are allowed to sell you natural gas with a BTU Factor as low as 900 which means that you would require more SCF to equal 1 GGE. Because of this, I have seen numbers as high as 138 SCF to equal 1 GGE. I have seen BTU Factors as high as 1250 from the wellhead of a gas well which would require less SCF.

So to calculate GGE = SCF * BTU Factor / (123 X 1000). Example: 1000 SCF * 900 BTU / 123000 = 7.32 GGE. If BTU Factor = 1100 then 1000 SCF * 1100 BTU /123000 = 8.94 GGE

Is that what you were looking for?

Bob
    Last edited by BobBaldwin; 12-06-2009, 06:25 PM.
    Bob Baldwin
    2009 Ford Focus Bi-Fuel
    2000 Ford F-150 Bi-Fuel

Comment

Thanks Bob, that gives me what I needed.

And it’s 100000 British Thermal Units in a Therm right?

Comment

Good explaination Bob and you made a suttle point. The BTU value of the gas changes with the source and season. When I started in this business, 114,000Btu's (1.14 therms -- 100,000 Btu's per therm) was considered a GGE, but that seems to have changed. The Diese gal. equivilant (DGE) has also changed. I first noticed it several years ago when different fuel stations providers used different values for the their GGE and DGE definations

I got a look at the Heat value from one gas company over a year and I believe there was 6 to 8% variation in the heat value over from the base 100,000 BTU per therm (I'll post the chart when I get back to the states). This factor can cause a variation in fuel miliage and engine performance. One of down sides of CNG or LP. A small inconvenience.

Later

Larrycng

Comment

A therm is the energy in 100 SCF with a BTU Factor of 1000.
          Bob Baldwin
          2009 Ford Focus Bi-Fuel
          2000 Ford F-150 Bi-Fuel

Comment

Working...
          X