No announcement yet.

Chevrolet Cavalier or other options...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chevrolet Cavalier or other options...

I'm looking to buy a used car and decided that the best option is a CNG bi fuel (cost of gas, pollution).

At first I wanted to get another used car from CHP (as I have right now) and convert it to CNG, however there are two reasons I won't:

1. The cost seems to be astronomical - $13500 is 3x the cost of the car - is this a new form of tax? Shouldn't government be helping with the alternative and sound energy sources for cars? Makes no sense to me, seems like a preventive measure rather than an endorsing one. Sorry to get off topic, it just really got me as I expected the price to be more like $2000.

2. It seems that Crown Vic can be converted to CNG only and not bi fuel - that's what I get from the FAQ and such on this forum. I go on trips often and don't want to get stuck somewhere.

Thus I started to look at bi fuel used cars and their mpg, etc. and it seems to me that Chevrolet Cavalier is a good option. My question to those who either have or have had this car is how reliable is it? Any known issues? I saw from other posts that 2003-4 models are better, because of the fuel injection. Any other thoughts welcome. Is it a car you would recommend or is there a better choice? I have to say I'm used to the spacious Crown Vic for trips...

Thanks so much
    Lidia

Re: Chevrolet Cavalier or other options...

As a bi-fuel car, the late model ('03/'04) bi-fuel Cavalier is the best choice out there. Very reliable, excellent CNG fuel injected engine, respectable fuel economy. Common issues would be the foam in the seats break down over time, a crack in the dash occurs in many cars after long sun exposure, and the bushings in the struts wear out causing suspension noise. It is a nice driving car however, it is a small, inexpensive car. Compared to a Crown Vic, it is noiser on the highway and has limited rear seat and trunk room. Front seat room is fine but again not as large as the Ford. Because it is a much smaller front wheel drive car, the Cavalier gets far better fuel economy then the Ford--and it is a bi-fuel. If you can live with the lack of space, it will make a fine car for you .

Comment

He makes all good points. Most things in life are a trade off. In this case it's size for mileage. All I can say is; if you'd started with a Cavalier and moved up to a CV... you wouldn't know what to do with all the trunk space. Those driving the Cavaliers have been making do for some time.

The other option is to watch CraigsList and EBay and wait for an SUV or Van to pop up. They are out there and many are bi-fuel. Again, there will be some trade offs. You just have to decide what your priorties are, mileage, size, range...

Comment

Thank you both for your thoughts. I'm glad to hear the issues are not with the vital parts of the car.

I go camping a lot and between me and my friends I often fill up Crown Vic to the brim (inflatable kayaks, sometimes also water, and all the usual camping stuff). Perhaps I can get the Cavelier for every day commute and still keep my Crown Vic for the longer trips...

I see many 2001 Chevrolet Cavaliers for sale. They are much cheaper than 2004 models. I don't think I can afford a 2004 model since my budget for the car is below $5000. Is it still worth it to get a 2001 Cavalier? The look of the car does not matter much to me as long as it is reliable. Prices I see online vary so widely, it's hard to tell what a Cavalier is really worth. Specifically since most price estimating sites don't talk about CNG or bi fuels... Is there a web site that would be a good resource for estimating Cavalier's value (e.g. give year/mileage)?

Thanks
        Lidia

Comment

One more question for those who own(ed) Cavalier: what's the upper number of miles on the vehicle that you've seen for a 2000/2001 models? I'm looking at a 2001 Cavalier with over 90k miles. Is it going to last much longer? What's the expected "life span"?

Thanks again
          Lidia

Comment

If I was going to get a Cavalier, I would try hard to put a '03 or '04 in my garage. Beyond the improvements in car, the newer cars will usually have lower mileage and less time for the sun and other elements to attack the car. In addition, all CNG cars (until recently) have a 15 year life limit on the tank---replacement of which costs more then the value of a 15 year old car. The newer car gets you more remaining time on the tank. As to your $5000 budget, you should still be able to get a GSA car in that price range. The value of these cars is directly related to gasoline prices and they are on the rise so now is the time to make the decision . No matter what year you buy I think it would be wise to get one with less than 75,000 miles. This should give you at least another 50,000 miles of driving without any major problems providing you maintain it properly---fluids, hoses, tune-ups, etc. As to model years, all CNG cavaliers share the same body. You should buy a 1999 or newer. 1999 through 2002 share the same engine and CNG fuel system. An improved 4 speed automatic transmission came along in 2001 and continued through the 2004 model year. 2001 and newer have a tachometer in the dash . Later models also had an additional power outlet in the console and power trunk release standard--someday you might find out why. The 2003 got the new, higher power, fuel injected Eco-Tech engine along with a face lift on the front end. Most cars were built as base models although they can be found with power windows, locks and cruise control. Last but not least, the newer cars are more desirable then the pre-2003 models which means they will hold their value better then the older models. Just my thoughts--good luck car hunting.

Comment

Working...
            X