Tank valves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank valves

What in the world is going on with solenoid operated tank valves? It seems like lately people are having trouble with GM, Ford and Honda valves with shorted coils (in most cases) the failure mode. I hope we are not seeing a trend here as the valves age .

Re: Tank valves

Just like with compuvalves and high pressure regulators, the vehicles with failures are about 10 years old and out of warranty. Most of the vehicles started out in fleets and failed parts were under warranty or paid for by someone with deep pockets. The disturbing thing is $$$$ " Non-Serviceable" assemblies. This would not be tolarated in vehicles sold new to retail customers. As the industry progresses, I think some third party firms will start to offer rebuilt parts. ( At least I hope so ).

If OEM's do return to the light duty vehicle market, customers will demand options other than " Take it or leave it "

Comment

Honda has some pretty expensive non-serviceable assemblies on the GX -- fuel sender, hpr, tank/valve -- that have been sold to consumers. In CA at least they are covered for 150k/15years.
      02 GX
      01 GX
      03 Crown Vic
      06 GX
      Home Fueler

Comment

Originally posted by freedml View Post
        Honda has some pretty expensive non-serviceable assemblies on the GX -- fuel sender, hpr, tank/valve -- that have been sold to consumers. In CA at least they are covered for 150k/15years.
        My tank valve just failed after 1 year, 31K miles. Honda is supposed to repair this under warranty, however they advise that the replacement is only under warranty until I reach 36K. They kindly offer to sell me their $2400 extended warranty which only gets me another 60K miles. With a $12K tank replacement job, looks like my GX investment could become worthless next time the valve fails.
        Last edited by raskell; 10-20-2009, 11:41 AM.
        '11 Fusion Bi Fuel & FMQ2-36 VRA
        (Former owner '09 Civic GX)

Comment

Shop around on the net for other genuine Honda warranties. Try this place. It usually is lower than most. They sell the genuine HondaCare warranty for much less than your local dealer will.

http://www.myhondawarranty.com/

Comment

The tank valves Mercedes O405NH CNG buses we have in Australia lasts pretty long, no defects since their delivery in 2000, almost 10 years now.
            Enthusiast of CNG buses, and voluntarily fueling them down under in Australia

Comment

Originally posted by TangaraG33 View Post
              The tank valves Mercedes O405NH CNG buses we have in Australia lasts pretty long, no defects since their delivery in 2000, almost 10 years now.
              Originally posted by raskell View Post
              My tank valve just failed after 1 year, 31K miles. Honda is supposed to repair this under warranty, however they advise that the replacement is only under warranty until I reach 36K. They kindly offer to sell me their $2400 extended warranty which only gets me another 60K miles. With a $12K tank replacement job, looks like my GX investment could become worthless next time the valve fails.
              I'm sure the tanks are Lincoln which means the tank valves also come from Lincoln. You might be able to locate a Lincoln dealer and get a better price.
              Robert
              "Whether you think you can or think you can't - you are right." Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by vaughnr007 View Post
                I'm sure the tanks are Lincoln which means the tank valves also come from Lincoln. You might be able to locate a Lincoln dealer and get a better price.
                Lincoln with not sell the tank valve for a Honda Civic. They claim that it is a Honda part and you can only get it from Honda.
                Jared.
                Mountain Green, Utah
                2003 CNG Cavalier
                2003 CNG Silverado 2500HD

Comment

OK

Is there is any difference between the valve the Honda Dealer sells and valve that Lincoln buys from GFI. We can compare it to a Ford valve!

Here is the challenge: I have a couple of Ford valves that are cut-a-ways (I made). Does anyone have the electric tank valve from a Honda/Lincoln tank??? I'll pay the shipping (for the valve), do a photo comparison with measurements and return the valve to you in the same condition as I received it. -- unless you don't want it back.!! (If you are in southern Cal, we can meet and do the comparison). We flip for the coffee.

I will post the report on CNG Chat for the world to see

The only parameter that may not be able to compared is the resistance on the coil. (I don't think that will be a factor).

ANY TAKERS??

Let's put this question to rest.

Larrycng.

Comment

Originally posted by Highmarker View Post
                    Lincoln with not sell the tank valve for a Honda Civic. They claim that it is a Honda part and you can only get it from Honda.
                    Yeah this is a Honda part. I have had this problem with my car and it was a nightmare. Finally after 3 months we had to have it modified to have another valve from a Chevy put in. The solenoid is produced by Teleflex but is then modified by Honda and Honda holds the patent for the part and will not allow it to be sold as a replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by freedml View Post
                      has this statement been validated for all GX models? i have a 98 civic gx and worried about potentially expensive repairs down the line. the warranty booklet that was originally issued does not specify this warranty.
                      98 civic gx - the hov lane runner
                      97 supercharged mustang - 440rwhp gas hog
                      02 pathfinder

Comment

Originally posted by venomous99 View Post
                        has this statement been validated for all GX models? i have a 98 civic gx and worried about potentially expensive repairs down the line. the warranty booklet that was originally issued does not specify this warranty.
                        Sorry, the 15 yr /150,000 coverage is for vehicles sold with "SULEV" emissions
                        sold in California. This started with the 2001 model year.

Comment

If I recall, the '98-'00 was covered by an 8yr/80k mi warranty on emission related parts.

Comment

Curtis, federal vehicles emission are covered with an 8/ 80 on components above a specific cost, I believe it was around $300 or $400 dollars

Larrycng

Comment

I believe all ZEV states (13 of them I think) all carry the 150K/15 year tank warranty, but I don't think that includes the tank valve?? I could be wrong on the tank valve part. It's no doubt a problem that needs to be addressed. Replacing a $8 to 10 thousand tank for a $4 or 500 dollar valve is not good PR, lets hope there is a way to make this easy.

When the mandate comes down for Alt Fuels and CNG stations start popping up all over, Honda will have a head start. If Toyota and GM jump in on the CNG band wagon, you bet your G"ASS", stations will start going in, because those to MARKETING MONSTERS will turn the world up side down with their product that runs on CNG. Honda will just benefit because they have 12 years of experience and a qualified sales and service staff/department.

Comment

Working...
                              X