Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New POI for CNG stations, need your GPS data!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TVman
    replied
    Re: New POI for CNG stations, need your GPS data!

I just found this forum, after spending free time for the last week creating a POI of all the current public stations in California. Rats, could have been lazy and leaned on the backs of others. Oh well, at least I have learned something new. Mine is just the basics, location, notes of limited hours and whether or not you need a special access key/card. Since I am new and cannot post it you may have to request it by email.
    Gary

Leave a comment:

• jenki_putnik
    replied

Here is the latest (16 Nov 11) gpx file from AFDC
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• PolishedMetal
    replied

Originally posted by jenki_putnik View Post
    Here is the latest (Oct 26)
    You are a life saver, love the notes and public/ private status... Took 2 seconds to add into my Garmin nuvi 3490LMT

Leave a comment:

• jenki_putnik
    replied

Here is the latest (Oct 26)
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• PeterB
    replied

John - just joined this site. Your post answers part of my question, but here it is: As a new Civic GX owner, I have "CNG station location anxiety", which I suspect is pretty common, but I didn't want to cough up an additional $1,700 for the GX factory NAV system which has that feature. I'm trying to find the easiest/most reliable way to input CNG fueling station information into a portable GPS. I happen to have a Garmin, but the portables are so cheap these days that if another brand either displays CNG stations as a built-in feature or is easy to upload with CNG station data from on online site, that's fine too. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• jenki_putnik
    replied

Here is the entire current AFDC CNG database in GPX format (can be downloaded into garmin via POI loader). enjoy. It is good enough to get you to the pump. I included public and private because sometimes you can scrounge fuel from private stations. I used a spreadsheet and a GAWK script to do the conversion
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• pdiamond333
    replied

OK- Just got a Civic GX and the file with the TomTom data for LA area is totally insane- off the hook! THANK YOU!

Leave a comment:

• CraziFuzzy
    replied

Okay, here's my first draft of the Data. I'm not sure what format most of your nav systems use, but this is one that works for mine (StreetDeck 2). I'm sure most garmin type systems use a much simpler format, but some time in excel and you can convert this to whatever you need (or post an example POI file and I'll do it for you). Hope this helps some people out. It appears some of the sites GPS are just pointing to city center (for those that don't have an actual address) and some have lat/long of 0, because google couldn't find the actual location from the address. As I said, it's a first draft, so any problems found, let me know and i'll try to update it.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• CraziFuzzy
    replied

Well, after waiting for responses from cngprices, i decided to just compile the list myself. I'm making a scrubber that will pull the data from the cngprices web page, and compile it into a .csv file for import into navigation software. If I'm successful, I'll post the file here. Would perhaps warrant a periodic update, but would be the next best thing to an official data export.

EDIT: I've got the data, just have to check it, and create the lat/long values. SHould have it posted a bit later today.
    Last edited by CraziFuzzy; 06-06-2009, 08:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• CraziFuzzy
    replied

I have made the request as well, with no results (or reply). Sad, really, as it is already the best source of this type of information, we are just unable to use it while actually in our vehicles.

Leave a comment:

• K38Bob
    replied

I made the request to download POI for GPS to cngprices.com directly. I really want this!!! I recently had a friend by a cng car and would love to have them get the "new" info
    Thanks
    bob

Leave a comment:

• CraziFuzzy
    replied

Any updates? I'm still craving a method to download cngprices' information. ANY format that would include price, name, address, lat/long would be enough for me, as I could then parse it to whatever format people need.

Leave a comment:

• lcovelli
    replied

Here is what I found..

It's a CSV file so you will need a POI loader to load it in your GPS. (See attachment)

It is for California and it is from 2007 so it is a bit dated as well as listing private CNG stations which it does warn you.

I would love to export the files off of cngprices.com into my GPS....
    what is the update on this feature??

Leave a comment:

• gdoermann
    replied

Why don't we start up a sourceforge project? Then people could submit their changes on a form or just commit them (to be reviewed).

Leave a comment:

• OhMyGas
    replied

You can submit any CNG station to
    http://www.poihandler.com
    those lists are available for free for anyone to download into a format for many navigation system.
    Personally I would prefer the POI list to come from cngprices incl. the prices and I would download on a regular basis, but this is currently not available but in the works.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X