Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fiber wound tanks,and regulator mistries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiber wound tanks,and regulator mistries?

I don't know if this question has been asked before ,Why do you see cng tanks fiber wound over aluminum core ,insted of using steel type .?

I have a dodge diesel with a lpg added system on it ,It addes about 35 hp and cleans up the soot particals,there no anoying black clouds of smoke.

I want to change the system to cng ,

One thing I have found out is how diffcult is is to find the needed parts,
    All I need is:
    tank and mount
    regulator to go from 3600 to below 312 psi
    fill fittings valves and hoses

with these parts I could use the exsisting propane parts that are already mounted on the truck.

I found a lot of parts in other countries ,they have their problems with export and money exchange.

There is a methane regulator for dispensing welding gas that looks promising.

Re: Fiber wound tanks,and regulator mistries?

The main reason for fiber wrap is weight. a full steal tank weighs a lot more than a hoop wrap tank. There a several off the shelf regulators for this purpose GFi makes some. this type of regulator needs hot water run through it.

Comment

contrary to what some believe. Adding propane or cng to the intake of a diesel engine does not make it run cleaner infact it makes it run very dirty. Visible emissions may be reduced but the Co and N0x are greatly increased.

Comment

Hmm,I asked the guy testing my truck for emmisions,, if I should turn it off (propane)or leave it on ,He said let"s try it on and see.When he returned I asked if it passed ,The responce was" I left the propane on ,and it was the clean'est diesel I have tested this weeks".

Comment

New on this. What do I need to look when buying a tank? New or used?

Comment

If buying used, the expiration date is a big factor. Make sure that you have a reasonable time to expiration. Thanks are normally rated for 15 yr service life, but can vary with the manufacturer. Exterior damage, nicks, chips, cracks, in fact, have it professionally inspected prior to placing it in service. Any damage at all and it wouldn't go in something I drive. New tanks are expensive and run a range of types (4 total) from all steel, carbon fibre wrap over aluminun, fiberglass wrap, etc. Type l is usually the cheapest, the most common is a type lll. New is a safe bet and yield longest life.
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4586_1441434431016_578[/ATTACH]

Comment

Working...
            X