Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the U.S.A abandoning the 3000 PSi Standard ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the U.S.A abandoning the 3000 PSi Standard ?

I seem to be reading more and more on this Chat facility that newly constructed CNG stations are only supporting the 3600 PSi filling standard.

The new Anaheim station at 2100 Harbor Blvd, and the Albuquerque Airport only support the 3600 psi standard.

But, the new San Juan Capistrano station will be supporting both the 3000/3600 standards.

Does anyone know if the U.S.A. is thinking of abandoning the 3000 psi standard ?

In Canada, at least in the Vancouver area, we only have the older 3000 psi standard.

If some stations only support one of the 2 psi standards, I'm wondering if there needs to be, perhaps yellow coded flags for 3600 psi and blue coded flags for 3000 psi for each station on www.cngprices.com

Sorry Todd. More work ?

Stu Man

Re: Is the U.S.A abandoning the 3000 PSi Standard ?

Originally posted by Stu Man View Post
    If some stations only support one of the 2 psi standards, I'm wondering if there needs to be, perhaps yellow coded flags for 3600 psi and blue coded flags for 3000 psi for each station on www.cngprices.com
    That is actually a really good suggestion.

Think of it as pressure flair ..

?Innovation is driven by having access to things.? -- Gleb Budman, CEO of backblaze.com

Comment

I hope we see eventually some import from European cars running on CNG (maybe even bi-fuel), but most if not all are using 200bar (3000psi).
      It would be unwise to not providing the proper infrastructure.
      And yes I also like the suggestion with color coding the psi setup in cngprices.com. Maybe color code the ones where only 3000 or 3600 is installed, and keep the color neutral if both are available.
      Last edited by OhMyGas; 08-11-2009, 12:45 PM.

Comment

The newest station in my area of the Inland Empire (IE) is in Temecula and they have 3,000/3,600 pumps, still not sure of Visa/MC access. I have not seen any other stations on Southern California without 3,000psi pumps.
        BLUE 09 GX

Comment

As far as I know in the US, the 2000 model year Ford's were the last vehicles built for 3,000. Hondas and Toyotas always were 3600 , and 01 and later Ford's . Mid 90's dodge went to 3600 .Not sure about GM. Heavy duty vehicles ( Transit bus, trash truck, sweeper , etc. ) have been built for 3600 for a long time.

The stations used by taxicabs still have a lot of older crown vics w/ 3000 , but most everyone else is 3600.

Comment

Originally posted by OhMyGas View Post
            Maybe color code the ones where only 3000 or 3600 is installed, and keep the color neutral if both are available.
            I was thinking a blue diamond for 3k, a yellow diamond for 3.6k and a vertical split of the diamond one half blue, the other yellow for 3k/3.6k.

I always think it is cool how one topic can generate different ideals!

?Innovation is driven by having access to things.? -- Gleb Budman, CEO of backblaze.com

Comment

There's going to be 3000 psi vehicles on the road for years to come. That's why I chose to install both presures on my station. I think anyone that installs only 3600 psi is being a bit short sighted and going to miss out on revenue.

It's easy enough to switch the pump back to 3600 psi in 10-15 years when the number of these older vehicles has dwindled to near non existence.

Comment

I also noticed the San Bernardino station is 3600 only. glad I got rid of my 3000# car now... ;-)
                1997 Factory Crown Victoria w/ extended tanks ~~ Clunkerized!
                2000 Bi-Fuel Expedition --> ~~ Sold ~~ <--

Comment

Thanks, All, for the timely feedback.

It is good to know that the 3,000 PSi standard will probably be around for a while.

I forgot about all the 3,000 psi European influence that may (hopefully) be heading to North America.

Stu Man

Comment

Well, in all honesty, since there really is little component difference between 3000 and 3600, I would envision any future European based cars that might make their way to the US shores, would be sold as 3600# vehicles. Really, the only reason they aren't sold as that in Europe, is there isn't any 3600# infrastructure there.
                    1997 Factory Crown Victoria w/ extended tanks ~~ Clunkerized!
                    2000 Bi-Fuel Expedition --> ~~ Sold ~~ <--

Comment

San Juan Capistrano eliminated 3000 psi as of March 2011 and the one in OC did the same months ago. This will cause people to adopt their 3000 psi to 3600 with nozzle changes. Bad news.

Comment

Working...
                      X