SB 535 Would Kick Older Crown Vic CNG Cars out of HOV Lanes In 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SB 535 Would Kick Older Crown Vic CNG Cars out of HOV Lanes In 2011

One of the two pieces of legislation dealing with HOV access for clear air vehicles (SB 535) would remove the HOV lane access for the older Crown Victoria's that were ULEV, not SULEV as of 1/1/11. SB 535 would also remove hybrids on the same date, but create a new category for plug-in hybrids, which would be allowed in HOV lanes.

The other bill, AB 1500, would remove the hybrids, not allow the plug-in hybrids, and continue to allow the ULEV Crown Vics.

Presumably only one of these bills will ultimately be passed, and their provisions reconciled i some way. However, if you drive an old Crown Vic, this could affect you.

Re: SB 535 Would Kick Older Crown Vic CNG Cars out of HOV Lanes In 2011

Funny how $$$ motivates one's interests.

I just got off the phone with the member of Sen. Yee's staff assigned to SB535 and he informed me that the amendment as worded was incorrect and had just been amended to change the error.

2004 and earlier ULEV type vehicles (such as the Ford Vics) will be allowed to continue to use the HOV lanes past the 2011 sunset date, in this regard the bill more closely matches AB1500.

Comment

Just as I called to have them make the change that CNG cars would continue to be exempt from the Bay Bridge toll, an exemption that was taken away in error in an earlier version of AB 1500.

One of the earlier committee analyses commented (either on this bill or AB 1500) that there would be a practical problem in taking away access from the old ULEVs, in that they have the same white sticker as all other CNGs. It's one thing enforcement wise to take away access from all yellow-sticker (Hybrid) vehicles, but another to take away access from only some white-stickered cars.

Originally posted by p71 View Post
      Funny how $$$ motivates one's interests.

I just got off the phone with the member of Sen. Yee's staff assigned to SB535 and he informed me that the amendment as worded was incorrect and had just been amended to change the error.

2004 and earlier ULEV type vehicles (such as the Ford Vics) will be allowed to continue to use the HOV lanes past the 2011 sunset date, in this regard the bill more closely matches AB1500.

Comment

That is great news!!

Thank you both VERY much for taking action. I can't believe how quickly you were able to make the correction! That's awesome!! HOV access saves me countless hours every year and allows me to spend more time with my family, instead of stuck on a freeway.

I would have been back to commuting by motorcycle much to my wife's chagrin! So she and I thank you very much!

Comment

Hi Any more information or movement on this issue??

Comment

Working...
          X