GSA Auction vehicles specs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSA Auction vehicles specs...

Does anyone know who the government uses to convert their chevy, ford, and dodge vehicles?
    Because I want to know if they qualify as an alternative fuel vehicle by the IRS. A complete list of qualifying vehicles can be viewed here
    http://www.lifetotes.com

Re: GSA Auction vehicles specs...

The "Big Three" haven't manufactured any CNG vehicles since 2004-05.
    Most of the GSA vehicles, except the Hondas, are from 2004 and before.
    Anything after that is an aftermarket conversion.

BAF does Fords in Texas & Baytech does Chevys in California at a premium price. John and Kevin at Natural Drive do the Impala and soon 5.3L pickups, SUVs and Express vans. Altech-Eco does the Ford Focus.

The IRS will recognize any EPA/CARB certified conversion.

Any idea what in particular your looking for in vehicles?
    Last edited by cnghal; 06-05-2009, 12:11 AM.
    Your Friendly Nazi Squirrel Administrator

Comment

Hi Hal!
      appreciate the info. what i'm looking for is a cargo van or delivery box truck running on CNG. What and where do you suggest looking? Whats the largest van with the best economy? I know the Chevy has the smallest engine a 4.8L

Obviously I've scanned the GSA auctions. Problem is I'm located in Boston and the auctions tell me they do not ship so I have to wait until one is available at an Manheim NE auction. The one coming up this month does not have a cargo van. So my next option i think is Ebay...

Comment

The Chevrolet's were 3/4 or 1 ton. Had about 9.5 GGE capacity in two Faber tanks under the rear. 31 gallon gasoline tank standard. They were built with 5.7 litre V8's until 2003 when it went to the newer style 6 litre. Fumigation system until 2003 and then fuel injected. I just bought a 2001, 155" WB one ton cargo van with 23,000 miles from a GSA auction. Runs good, gets about 12 mpg in town, so figure about 110 miles on a tank. I don't know about the Ford or Dodge so someone else will have to speak for them .

Comment

Originally posted by cnghal View Post
          The "Big Three" haven't manufactured any CNG vehicles since 2004-05.
          Most of the GSA vehicles, except the Hondas, are from 2004 and before.
          Anything after that is an aftermarket conversion.
          Hey Hal,
          So are you saying that the "Big Three" produced these CNG vehicles right off the assembly line?
          Anyone know the best van from the early 2000's? dodge, ford or chevy. I've seen varying opinions on this board...

Comment

GreenRentals,
            Some were off the line, some were post line upfit.

I've driven or owned most of them. I find the Dodge and Chevy vans have too big a turning radius for in town work compared to that of the Fords (50'). I am very intimate (not by choice) with the Ford dedicated vans from the late 90's to '04 and have converted a fleet of 2005-2006 vans and find them easy to maintain and work on. I own one 99 E350 shuttle van that has 562,000 miles on it when it was retired from service. I also have a 2002 E350 passenger van with 30 gge stock tanks with a 100,000 miles on it that runs like a top. They last when well maintained.

I also own a 95 Dodge cargo that I absolutely abuse and it's still around.
            I have to replace the tanks in 2010 but it will still live on.

Don't get sliding doors if you can help it.

If you have any other questions or need some help, feel free to PM me.
            I have converted and upfit several delivery, service and paratransit fleets and am willing to help when I can.

BTW, I'll be up at my house on the Cape in a week or so if you'd like to get together and talk.
            Your Friendly Nazi Squirrel Administrator

Comment

Working...
            X