Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone make a portable CNG tank to use if you run empty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone make a portable CNG tank to use if you run empty?

I'm talking about like the red 1 or 2 gallon jugs they sell for gasoline, but for CNG. Anybody make something like that?

Re: Does anyone make a portable CNG tank to use if you run empty?

Nothing factory made I know of. One could hack something together with a steel hydrogen cylinder , valve, hose , fill fitting and coupler. The coupler and hose will be the highest cost . With new parts you are looking at a couple of thousand for a small amount of fuel.

Comment

Smallest cng tanks likely those for forklifts at about what 2 gge??

See some for sale on Ebay at:
      http://cgi.ebay.com/SET-OF-4-CNG-COM...3A1%7C294%3A50

However, price already up to $760 for 4 forklift cng tanks !!

Connectors, valves, hose, etc. could easily run $500 or more, so this project won't be cheap. Awhile back I think someone on CNGChat found a ready made small portable tank connected to a dolly but I thought it was $2,500 or more!! Search through the old threads of CNGChat.

Also, the whole problem of SAFELY moving this thing once it has fuel is an issue. I'm sure you'd be "breaking laws" to get it from one place to the next.

P.S. Nice if cng vehicles had an extra connector for hose that could fuel your stalled vehicle with "ambilical cord" method until pressure equalized between the two vehicles. I've heard that large city bus fleets have a way of doing this.

Comment

I looked into having small portable emergency fuel cylinders made up at one time. Something in the fashion of a fire extinguisher mount in the trunk that could be carried for emergincies. As it was explained to me, and the industry guys can probably explain this better... it's illegal. A violation of fire code, probably NFPA 52, and may even cross into regulations that govern "transportation of motor fuels".

There are portable refueling cylinders out there. I almost bought one on EBay that looked like a welding dolly with about a 8gg-10gge tank, hose and nozzle setup. Initially I thought it was some type of home made rig, but was being sold out of service from a city yard in Washington somewhere. I could have gotten it for $100, but had no way to pick it up (as specified in the auction).

There is a fuel transfer hose available through AFV Tech but runs $2000. The most affordable way to handle the problem is to get AAA+ and get towed if you're unfortunate enough to have one of those very rare instances where you run out of fuel. That's what the rest of us do. You rarely are more than 100 miles from fuel in most areas of the country.

Comment

AFV has a picture of a portable unit in one of their brochures.

Comment

curtis I have not found cng with in 100 miles of most places in the country if you have some list better than mine please post it or a e address for it my experance has been more like 300 to 500 miles this is why I think 500 min range is a good idea thanks cowboy ps if the list is a copy right problem please e mail it to me

Comment

I think something like this (that could be rated to 3600PSI) would be perfect:

http://www.powertank.com/products/sfID1/18

As said before the nozzle and hoses would be very expensive.
              -------------
              moore101
              2000 Toyota Camry CNG
              FuelMaker Phill v1.0

Comment

A type 4 2 gge tank is about 9" x 40" and weighs about 40 lbs. A dot AAA steal tank that is about 2.5 gge is about 9" by 48" and weighs 110 lbs.

Comment

it really would depend on what rules it falls under. Transporting it as a compressed gas is different regulations than transporting it as a vehicular fuel. Assuming you used the DOT compressed gas regulations, it would not need to be a 'CNG' tank, just any chemically suitable, DOT approved cylinder, that is rated for the pressure.
                  1997 Factory Crown Victoria w/ extended tanks ~~ Clunkerized!
                  2000 Bi-Fuel Expedition --> ~~ Sold ~~ <--

Comment

I believe that it would be covered by Haz Mat regulations. Check with your friendly CHP Motor Carrier Inspector (the guy with the blue coveralls)

Larrycng

Comment

I've thought about this a decided that the real solution is a bi-fuel for propane. This would be pretty simple conversion with mostly just programming for propane fuel, all the same lines and injectors would work.

You could have just a small propane tank and you can get propane almost anywhere. I know there are bi-fuel CNG propane conversions out there, maybe someone on here will know more about actually doing this.
                      2000 Escalade (option 3 conversion) FOR SALE
                      2004 F150 XLT (OEM conversion)
                      2000 Camry (Awesome Car!!)

Comment

Instead of a portable CNG cilinder, you could use a service nozzle and hose to equalize the pressure. You could just call someone who also has a CNG vehicle to equalize the pressure with. Carrying full portable cilinders is dangerous.

Comment

The best solution is a bifuel vehicle I keep my pickup on cng- it automatically turns to gasoline when it its time to refill. We are supposed to run occasionally on gasoline anyway to lube the valve stems.

One idea to consider... the scba tanks used for diving/emergency (firefighting) operations. They are rated to 4500psi as I remember.

Comment

The real problem with this idea is that using a small volume container to try to add pressure to a larger volume container isn't as helpful as you would think.

Basic physics means that Pressure and Volume are inter-related, and that once you connect your "spare tank", all you can do is equalize the pressure, you can't just empty one into the other.

p1v1=p2v2

Lets pretend that you want to use a small 1gge tank as a "backup" to a car that has a 5gge tank. If you run out of gas, you want to use the "backup" tank to give your 5gge tank a little extra fuel to get to the next station. As soon as you connect it, you now have a 6gge tank, and the pressure that was in the small tank equalizes in the new system. If you could only fill the small tank to 3600 psi (at a regular station for example) then you get:

1gge (3600 psi) = 6gge (x psi)
                            x = 600 psi

So in this example if your 5gge tank was empty (assuming no pressure at all, I don't know what base pressure to assume here), you would only be able to give yourself a 600 psi fill... so you'd better hope that the station is pretty close!

It's even worse of course if your car tank is larger. If you have a 12gge tank, and you try to "fill" it with a 1gge "backup", all you get out of it is a measly 275 PSI!

Things work out a bit better though if you are using a larger supply tank (like a fast-fill setup). Lets say that you have a 5 gge tank. and your goal is just to get that tank to 3000 psi. Lets pretend that you have an extra 10 gge tank that you will use as the "supply" tank.
                            Then:
                            10gge(x psi) = 15gge(3000 psi)
                            x = 4500
                            (where 15 is the new total volume once you attach your tank to the supply tank)
                            Your 10 gge tank would need to have a pressure of approximately 4500 psi in order to fill you cars tank to 3000 psi.
                            However, if you increased the size of your supply tank to 20 gge, then the pressure in the tank would only need to be 3750 psi, and if you filled it to 4500 psi, then you could get a 3600 psi fill.
                            Last edited by kirkbenge; 04-15-2009, 12:57 PM. Reason: grammer-clarification

Comment

People are not going to drive around with an extra 15 gge of cilinders. Especially not 'portable'. If you want to be driving around with a full spare cilinder and do it safely: have an extra cilinder installed in the vehicle so that you can manually open and close the cilinder valve. Have the vehicle re-approved. Then drive around with a full but closed cilinder. Open when needed. Or just leave it open and remember to refuel in time.

Comment

Working...
                              X