What happened to the IANGV Forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to the IANGV Forum?

I've been out of CNG vehicles for 5 years until I recently got a 99 Civic. Back then the IANGV Forum was the place for owners of these cars to discuss everything CNG related. Now I check that sight and it's nearly dead without a post in over a year. What happened to that forum and where did all the member go?

Re: What happened to the IANGV Forum?

That must have been before my time, as a NGV driver for almost 3 years I found the forums on Yahoo and Edmunds.
    THIS is the forum for NGVs!
    I suggest re-routing any existing people from any other forums here, it has worked for the above mentioned forums. This is the place.....we have the CNG/NGV expertise here. (I'm not an expert!)
    Welcome to the forum!
    Last edited by jetboatjohnny; 04-11-2009, 11:18 PM.
    BLUE 09 GX

Comment

Johnny is right, this is the hot spot for NGV's. Virtually anyone in the industry (that knows about the site) hangs out, contributes, or moderates this forum.

This is the largest ngv owners community on the internet and we've got members from around the world. It's really exciting to get member input from the different countries and hear about the different models and practices in their respective countries.

Welcome to the group, read through the different forums and feel free to offer any ideas as to how we can make cngchat more relevent, more exciting and anything you'd like to see here that might be missing.

Enjoy your stay. We look forward to seeing your posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis View Post
        It's really exciting to get member input from the different countries and hear about the different models and practices in their respective countries.
        Exciting Curtis? I'd lean more towards depressing..
        1997 Factory Crown Victoria w/ extended tanks ~~ Clunkerized!
        2000 Bi-Fuel Expedition --> ~~ Sold ~~ <--

Comment

I don't know that you've been paying attention, so as a reminder...
          Alternative fuels have gained the publics attention like no time in the history of alternative fuels due to environmental issues and recent high oil prices. Public infrastructure is being built as fast as it can be constructed and there are more stations in the pipeline than at any time in history. Our government is pouring billions into developing alternative fuels and infrastructure. Governments around the globe are embracing cng and new models of cng vehicles continue to break onto the scene.

While this country lags behind due to our historic low oil prices, the current legislation is pushing it ever forward. If we get caught up in this minor setback with FM, we lose our forward momentum. 99% of fleet owners and 80% of GX retail customers do not have Phill units and use public/private infrastructure for their fueling needs.

Yes, there are Phill's and FM units in the field that need service, customers that have paid for equipment that have not received it, but it may be premature to think the sky is falling.

Several entities that I'm aware of are trying to get units to market, FM may rise out of the ashes better than before, and members supporting each other may be able to assist with needed repair parts in the interim.

This site continues to grow and emphasize the point that we are out there and we have a voice. We demonstrate through our presence that there is a need that must be filled.

Case in point, is it possible that the negative press from this site dissuade potential Phill buyers? You bet it did. Did it increase the demand for used FM-4's and FMQ2-36's? You bet it did. Did this site have anything to do with the feeding frenzy at GSA auctions last year? You bet. Do we effect decisions at levels stretching from the utilities to politicians... yes and we will continue to do so in an organized, civil, grass-root fashion.

I would encourage all of you to drop the Chicken Little mentality and let us see how this plays out, and as a coalition, made up of some of the most influential members of the cng industry/community, become a force in the resurrection of a better FM product.

I heard from an inside source at FM that they were working on a field serviceable Phill unit. How much better would that have been? Were they listening to us? You bet they were. We probably put a big dent in their FM sales to the retail market in this country. We are no small concern and we are only growing in size and influence. Let us stay the coerce and support the market in any way we can.

Home refueling isn't dead. It's had a temporary setback that we can weather. Hopefully, as I've said before, a better company, a better product may yet emerge. We'll know soon enough. Sit tight, hold your negativity until we know how this is going to play out. There's plenty of time to raise the roof later on.

Comment

Originally posted by atikovi View Post
            I've been out of CNG vehicles for 5 years until I recently got a 99 Civic. Back then the IANGV Forum was the place for owners of these cars to discuss everything CNG related. Now I check that sight and it's nearly dead without a post in over a year. What happened to that forum and where did all the member go?
            Thanks for the question Atikovi and my thanks to Bill McGlinchey for alerting me to it.

The IANGV forum was terminated about 3 years ago, partly for technical issues but also because much of the content was consumer based and 'local' in it's focus - 'Where can I get my car converted?', 'Where can I refuel?', etc. These questions are better served by local and national forums such as this one (which is clearly doing a great job keeping members and viewers engaged).

We are however, in the process of establishing another initiative that will allow input from the NGV community, an NGV Wiki. This will cover all aspects of the industry (including extensive country profiles) and visitors will be able register and contribute content to ensure it is kept as up to date as possible. (It may also have commenting facilities but we're not certain yet).

We are also establishing an industry bulletin board which we will use to solicit industry input and consensus - mostly on issues that are global in nature (e.g. Standards harmonization). This will work similar to a forum but the content will depend on what is on our plate at the time. Initially this will be a members only facility but we expect to make some sections public in due course.

In the meantime, if you haven't already, all are welcome to subscribe to our weekly newsletter, NGV Global (follow the link to subscribe or pick up an RSS feed). We'll publish an item on the Wiki once it is launched and look forward to your input.

All the best.

Brett Jarman
            Executive Director
            International Association for Natural Gas Vehicles (IANGV)

Comment

That's great news, Brett. This industry has been a lot of small business' scattered around trying to build the NGV infrastructure/market in their own corner of the world. IANGV has been a tremendous asset to CNG, as well as a uniting force, from the small business on up to the political arena. Keep up the great work.

If there's any way that cngchat can assist you, or features we can add to the site to assist the commercial end of things, please let us know. A link exchange, special forums, whatever we can do... we're in.

Comment

Working...
              X