its all new to me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• its all new to me

I have a 2000 chevy 2500 4x4 with a 5.7 bi fuel setup. I go stuck with no phone in about 5 degree F weather with a bad fuel (gasoline) pump. I had just got the truck and the cng was filled by me but it didn't work. When I found a fuse (40 amp) missing under the hood I took my heater fuse and got the truck started but the cng tank started to leak out of the fill valve. I had no choice but to get out of were I was so as I drove the leak got less with speed and the indicator would drop. As I slowed down the leak came back. I did get home with the windows open and freezing. I understand that this was dangerous but in this situation I wasn't going to freeze to death and I was within 15 miles of home. I have no idea why the tank leaks even when the key is on and the fuse is in it leaks. Is there a pressure relief valve or something else that could cause this. The tank holds cng fine except for when you turn on the truck. By the way it is a ex dot truck fresh out of service with 141000 miles.

Thanks for your help, Brent

Re: its all new to me

Brent,
    Got wicked chilly around Woosta, didn't it. That's why I moved from the Cape to the desert.
    Sounds like you've got a high pressure line/fitting leak alright, and it sounds like you have electric solenoid valves on your cng tanks. Pull that fuse back out and take it to a cng shop or mechanic for repair. You don't want to mess with high pressure gas without proper training.
    Call AVSG at (617)242-8755 or http://www.avsglp.com/contact.htm and see who's in your area.
    Good luck, stay warm and let us know how it works out.
    Your Friendly Nazi Squirrel Administrator

Comment

Thanks for your input it helps a lot because this is my first cng vehicle. I will have to get it checked out. I thought I screwed up when filling because the gas was coming from the fill port, straight up into the air.

Comment

Ask for Larry

Scroll down to the 8th post here:
        http://www.cngchat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119

Click on the AVSG name and select "send e-mail" or "send private message." this is my friend Larry at AVSG who as Hal states can certainly point you in the right direction. Good luck and be safe...

Comment

Originally posted by 2000chevy25004x4 View Post
          Thanks for your input it helps a lot because this is my first cng vehicle. I will have to get it checked out. I thought I screwed up when filling because the gas was coming from the fill port, straight up into the air.
          Brent,
          If you have gas leaking out of the recepticle, you have a bad recepticle and/or a bad or missing check valve.
          There should be a check valve built in to your recepticle and another one between the recepticle and the tank(s) and line to the high pressure regulator, probably under the hood.
          Keep us posted on who you find in the area.
          I also think chat member CNGPARTS is in/around Dartmouth and has some experience, parts and trucks for sale.
          Last edited by John Mitton; 01-04-2009, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Thanks again for your help and I will check into all the info you all have given me. When I get it fixed I will let you know the results.

Brent

Comment

I did find out what was wrong with my bi fuel cng tank leak. The receptacle was leaking so I called chevy and it listed for 775.00 WOW my cost 547.00. I took the receptacle off and found out who makes it, GFI now Teleflex in Canada. They put me it touch with a vender of theirs AFV in California and my price from them was 266.88 plus 20 shipping. WOW no wonder Chevy is having problems. In the mean time I was playing with the old receptacle and I took it apart and cleaned it and fixed an o ring and it works just fine until I can get the new one. However I don't suggest any one doing what I did for their own safety sake, I didn't have pressure because of the leak and I have experience with pressurized systems in both aviation and robotics.
              Again I thank every one for your input and much needed help

Thanks and be safe Brent

Comment

Brent,
                Good to hear you found and fixed your leak.
                I have always found, when I am in need of a good belly laugh, all I need to do is call my local dealer and ask for a price on any ngv part.
                I had to replace 3 recepticles on some Dodge vans for a fleet. The dealer wanted $800.00 each and his parts system said there was only one in the whole country.
                I called FAB in Fontana, CA and got 3 delivered the same week for $60 each plus shipping.

Comment

WOW who would have thought.....the fleecing of america? buy our own car manufacturers? LOL what a joke
                  And now the latest bail out the **** industry? I thought the news guy said corn like maybe alternative fuel. Oh no ****? Where is our bailout?

Comment

Working...
                  X