CNG <carpool access> Rentals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CNG <carpool access> Rentals?

Does anyone here see a BIG need for a dedicated CNG Carpool lane access cars for rent? I am thinking of offering a couple of my dedicated CNG cars up for rent in the future for those that have a car in the shop or either had their car wrecked or stolen.
    Last edited by CNGCARS; 12-31-2008, 12:56 AM.
    Mario
    AAA CNG SYSTEMS
    CSA Certified CNG Cylinder & Fuel System Inspector

Re: CNG &lt;carpool access&gt; Rentals?

Depending on location, type of vehicle, and gas prices, it could be nice.

Before I got my Contour, when my Jimmy got totalled, I made the other driver's insurance company pay for a like vehicle for a month. If my Contour got totalled, I'd want a like vehicle until I got my vehicle replaced.

Comment

I would vote yes - seems like a prudent idea for those of us committed CNG'ers. Should do OK in the S Calif area. Give it a try...
      But from Oregon, that would be a long way to go to get a rental!
      '13 Chev Silverado 2500 Ext Cab Factory Bi-Fuel
      '08 Green Tea Metallic GX
      FMQ-2-36 Fueler

Comment

There's one company near LAX that does this. They started with a GX or two but now I think they only have Priuses. Just not enough demand from us CNG weirdos.
        02 GX
        01 GX
        03 Crown Vic
        06 GX
        Home Fueler

Comment

CNG &lt;carpool access&gt; Rentals Available in mid 02/09

Ok I am going ahead with this. Starting in mid February I will have the first CNG vehicle available for rent. I have completely serviced the vehicle and changed all the fluids and filters. The first vehicle available for rent will be a 2000 Ford Crown Vic. The second CNG vehicle for rent will be available in mid March will also be a Ford Crown Vic. Both vehicles of course are dedicated CNG vehicles and will have the carpool decal. Of course getting in the carpool lane is what its all about. So if anything should happen to your vehicle and you MUST have a rent a car with carpool lane access I am only a phone call away. Rates starting at $35 per day
          Last edited by CNGCARS; 01-31-2009, 08:16 PM.
          Mario
          AAA CNG SYSTEMS

Comment

Mario I like the idea. Next time I need to rent a car down there I'm giving you a call.

A few questions for you:
            Would you deliver the car to nearby airports? (LAX, Orange, etc)
            How does the insurance work?
            Do the Vics have Ext. Range tanks?
            www.CNGUtah.com

Comment

Derek? I think it is?

1) I will deliver the car or pick you up and bring you to the car.
              2) You have to show proof of full coverage or pay $10 a day for my Insurance.
              3) Only one of the Crown Vics has extended range cylinders. So you have your choice if both are available at the time.
              4) GPS for rent $10 a day loaded with all CNG stations in California
              Did I miss anything? baby seats? HA! I have those too available
              Last edited by CNGCARS; 02-01-2009, 01:57 PM.
              Mario
              AAA CNG SYSTEMS

Comment

Mario, Are you still renting any CNG cars? Thank you

Comment

Hello katfish and welcome to CNGCHAT,

Mario seems to have dropped off the radar about a year ago.

As to the rental subject, EV rentals is long gone. They were a great company to deal with. They had cng , hybrid and full electrics for rent. gm, toyota, honda, and nissan had full electric cars in very limited quanitys back then. Toyota with the rav 4 electric was the only one you could buy. All others were a lease and when the lease was up , the cars were taken off the road forever.

I rented a gx and bought a cng crown vic from them in 2002. I don't think anyone else has had cng cars for rent , ever.

Maybe someone with deep pockets and a lot of time on thier hands might set up renting cng vehicles again , when the hybrids get kicked out of the carpool lane in california this july.
                  Last edited by Lakewood90712; 01-09-2011, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Biggest challenge I see is getting people familiar with the re-fueling procedure, how to find a station and the whole safety code/watch the video issue. Once you own one, you have to figure it out and its pretty easy after that first initial curve. I have three CNG vehicles now and even borrowing one to a friend or family member has brought up all those challenges and usually at some point they just say no thanks....

Comment

I rented a Crown Vic from EV Rentals in 2001, I wanted to spend some time with CNG before I made the leap and got rid of my gasoline powered car.

Back then the car came with all the fuel cards you could ever need here in So Cal - Pickens; So Cal Gas Co.; SDG&E - I don't know if it came with a PG&E card. I don't remember them giving any training or anything, but it was 10 years ago. I even ran it out of gas to see how much of a pain it was; other than waiting for a tow it was simple.

I bought my first CNG CV from Pickens in Seal Beach shortly afterwards and haven't looked back since.

It's a shame that EV has gone the way of the Dodo, as it would be nice to be able to rent CNG if my car is ever off the road for an extended period of time. I can only imagine that the liability issues with Mario's proposal to rent his cars would be a nightmare.

Comment

Working...
                      X