Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Group Question-What is the max range on your CNG vehicle?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Group Question-What is the max range on your car?

My latest fill: 235.7 miles, two bars left, low fuel light did not come on yet. 6.21 gge filled to 3900 psi. 54F exterior temp.

I added a K&N air filter, which seemed to help, but so far I've only had 2 fills with it. Also, I modified my highway driving a little bit. I set the cruise to 65mph, but when going uphill, sometimes you will shift into 4th gear, revving higher and wasting gas. I have a scan gauge ii. I noticed that when the TPS (throttle position sensor) increases to about 50% on cruise control, the transmission will downshift to maintain your speed. So, then the TPS reaches 45% I click the decelerate button one time in order to stay in 5th gear. Also, when I am in the 55-60mph range, I notice I do not need to monitor the TPS because it is usually below 40%, even on hills.

Does anyone have driving tips for economy? I hear about people getting really good mileage (>40) but I can't figure out how they do it! What am I doing wrong, or how can I improve? Also, how does rain affect mileage? It seems like, in the least, there is increased rolling resistance of the tires, not to mention the net inertia of rain drops to overcome...

Comment

try running with out speed control.. cruise control is reactive, it can't see the hill ahead. it is easy to accel on flat ground than pulling a hill. proactive is seeing the hill ahead and gathering speed before. try this for a few weeks.
      Mark Sprowls
      Joe Marina Honda
      Tulsa, Oklahoma
      918-760-3136
      08 GX Black

Comment

Originally posted by kujosan View Post
        (snip)
        Does anyone have driving tips for economy? I hear about people getting really good mileage (>40) but I can't figure out how they do it! What am I doing wrong, or how can I improve?
        (snip)
        kujosan,

I've posted a couple of times on this thread with mileage from 39 to almost 45 mpg. I'm finding that when I can do at least 130 miles of freeway driving with the cruise control set at 60-65, my mpg ends up in that range. The couple of times I've gotten mileage that high its by driving on wide open freeways, on the weekend. Freeway driving in rush hour wouldn't fit the above scenario, so the mileage would suffer.

Bill

Comment

i'm reposting this msg here just to add to our database of knowledge.

i took delivery of my '08 the first week in january and it came with a partial fill, so it wasn't until my second refill that i could compute some reliable data.

my first fillup was at a pump that had 3600 psi with an outside temp of around 18F so i got a good fill. over the next week i drove 206 miles (the last 5 miles with no bars showing on the gauge) and refilled at the same pump and pumped 7.7 gge with an outside temp of 6F. that cut it pretty close on an 8 gge tank.

some on this forum are skeptical that i could really pump 7.7gge but the cold temperatures may account for this. also, i never rush the fill so i wait for a couple of minutes until the gauge on the pump reads the full 3600 psi. that last gallon seems to take a long time to reach 3600 psi. that may account for how i managed to get a 7.7gge fill.

my range is probably shorter than expected because all of my driving is in the mountains and i often cross parley's summit between salt lake city and park city.

tom

Comment

I have a 2001 GX and spend a lot of time in the 220-235 range, I drive pretty heavy on the throttle. I fill up at the Placentia station most often because I live in Yorba Linda. Anyway, I recently have been getting 7-7.5gge fills and ranging 240-250 on a tank. 2 days ago registered 252 and hadn't run out, however I was worried I was going to be pushing it.

Comment

I am lucky to go over 200 in my 1999 GX, the longest I have gone is 197 miles, 23 with the light on and I did not top off.
              Friday night I filled with the 3,000psi pump cuz the RTA leased busses have some new routes and seem to be there (Hemet) every night. Saturday I filled (after 8 miles) from a starting pressure of 2,500 to about 3,750 and it took 2.6 GGE. I went about 75 miles until I hit the full mark, after that I can go another 150 safely, about 20 miles with the light on. So with a good top-off I could maybe go 230 miles. If Murf tells me when I can come get my 6.8GGE tank installed, I will test it for sure!
              The last 2 times the light came on were both at 171 miles with about a 4gge fill at 3600psi
              I have figured out my gauge at the full mark is about 2,400psi, the halfway mark about 1,600 and the light comes on right about 1,000psi.
              J
              BLUE 09 GX

Comment

Went 231 miles on my f150. All tanks are over 200 miles now, I guess the exhaust and cold air intake are helping. All city driving.

It is impossible to check mpgge here in Utah, cause the fills are never the same.
                01 F150 dedicated, std cab, long bed, 2wd, 4spd auto w/ 5.4 Triton.

Comment

1996 Ford Crown Vic P71; with 3000 PSI 9.9 gge tanks
                  Rear axle ratio: changed from 2.73 to 3.73:1

Mileage and Typical Fill-up Range: (usually just before warning light)

All City: 12 - 15 mpg and 100 to 130 miles

All Highway (65 mph): 25-26 mpg 225 mi easily w/no worries, 240 miles depending on conditions

Comment

2004 Civix GX with extra 3 gge tank (thanks CNGMotors.com) in trunk.

I had car fitted to handle 300 mile plus range. My commute is up to 155 miles/day. Walnut Creek to Sacramento.
                    With extra tank I know I can go 50 miles after light comes on with about 10-20 mile margin (remaining pressure 100-200 psi at time of fill, gauge near dead bottom).
                    With my PG&E station (in Concord) recently going to 3600 psi - I now can go the 290-310 miles before fuel light comes on. 36-38 mi/gge.
                    Max fill has been 9.3 gge.

Comment

240 with my 96 Vic with an extended range tank, depending on the quality of the prior fill.

Comment

I am new to this forum, lots of great info. I just bought a 2001 civic with 53k miles. I have been keeping track of my milage. I will attach a copy of the spreadsheet I am using. The red text is data I entered.
                        Attached Files

Comment

2006 Honda GX, additional fuel tank installed (trunk now fits only a single gym back, two tennis rackets and a computer bag, tetris style).

350 Mile Range on all highway, average 300 in City.

New 2007 Mercury Marquis I have in the fleet has 13 GGE on board and averages 250 miles to fill up.

2006 Chevy Express 15 passanger van has 20 GGE on board and gets 280-310 miles to the fill.

Comment

[QUOTE=Clean Energy - CO;3519]2006 Honda GX, additional fuel tank installed (trunk now fits only a single gym back, two tennis rackets and a computer bag, tetris style).

350 Mile Range on all highway, average 300 in City.

What size is the extra tank you put in the trunk?

Comment

2003 Chevy Cavalier bi-fuel approx 125 to 150 miles for about 5.1 gge fastfill at only 3,100 psi for mixed driving; solid highway driving then 175 miles on 5.1 gge ; record of 205 miles on 5.7gge excellent fastfill while drafting between truckers (all highway driving)

2001 Honda Civic GX approx 200 to 220 miles before low fuel light comes on for mixed driving and decent fast fill ; record of 253 miles with NO light on yet when Completely full from 4,100 psi pump in Indianapolis, IN (Kyler HVAC at only $1.51 . . . filled at night, then topped off again in morning)

Comment

Recently acquired 1994 Dodge Caravan, with extra tank - 300 miles max highway; max fast-fill so far is 13.5 GGE.

Second 1994 Caravan with stock tanks- 170 miles max, about 8 GGE.

Comment

Working...
                                X