saw my first fake Civic GX yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• saw my first fake Civic GX yesterday

On 134 W, merging onto I-5 (I was exiting the HOV lane and think they were, too), I passed a white Honda Civic and immediately noticed three strange things:

1. LX/EX badge was missing
    2. Blue CNG sticker in the middle of the rear window
    3. Yellow(!) HOV sticker in the center of the rear bumper (only saw one sticker)

No NGV stickers on the doors, either.

Clearly someone was trying to pull a fast one. I wonder if the police are trained to spot fake alt-fuel vehicles...

Re: saw my first fake Civic GX yesterday

I saw a relatively new black Ford Fungus (Focus) westbound on the 210 in La Crescenta last week. It had one yellow sticker under the Ford badging, on the rear.

I wonder if the CHP is sharp enough to catch the imposters. If they were, they'd probably only stop them for driving in the carpool lane.

Bill

Comment

Get the plate number and Report it to CHP. I am sure they would love to catch these guys with fake or stolen carpool stickers on their car at their home.
      Mario
      AAA CNG SYSTEMS
      CSA Certified CNG Cylinder & Fuel System Inspector

Comment

Are you sure they can't just buy HOV access? You can buy access here in Utah, so anyone could actually just pay the extra and get a plate.
        2000 Escalade (option 3 conversion) FOR SALE
        2004 F150 XLT (OEM conversion)
        2000 Camry (Awesome Car!!)

Comment

My favorite is the brown Toyota Sienna (minivan) driving around Orange County with white hov stickers. I've seen it exit twice at the Lincoln/Nohl Ranch off-ramp from SR-55.

Next time I'll get its plates.

Comment

Ha ha ha thats funny a poser.
            I.R.A.D
            Team Director
            Jerrold Rhodes

Comment

Originally posted by Yroc View Post
              Are you sure they can't just buy HOV access? You can buy access here in Utah, so anyone could actually just pay the extra and get a plate.
              You can't buy access in CA. You have to apply for white stickers based on the vin#.

As for the CHP catching the "posers," good luck. I doubt they're any sharper than the average DMVbot that returns our applications because all the yellow stickers are used up.

Public awareness of cng related issues is almost non existant. Before this, and the Yahoo groups, most ngv owners were nearly as clueless. The average CHP has most likely never even stopped a ngv due to the scarcity (in general) of them on the roads.

That's why this site is so important. Education is the key to public awareness. One reason Toyota sold so many Prius's is that shoppers had no clue there was an AFV alternative.

Comment

I saw a Toyota Yaris with a ca. carpool sticker, and a hybrid badge in Pomona a couple of weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Yroc View Post
                  The Express Lane Pass is only a window sticker. It costs $50 /month and is limited to 2200 for the state. They issue a sticker for the front and rear windshield but no plate.

You have to have an actual clean fuel vehicle to get a clean air plate. They are still letting hybrids have them but dual-fuel cars will be ineligible after the first of the year.
                  2004 Toyota Avalon bi-fuel
                  2013 Tesla Model S 85

Comment

Saw a 07/08 Camry hybrid with yellow HOV stickers in LA. They probably traded in a old prius and pulled the stickers before dumping it or just forged them.
                    -------------
                    moore101
                    2000 Toyota Camry CNG
                    FuelMaker Phill v1.0

Comment

This also bring up the question how important is the little HOV certificate that comes with the stickers is? My two used CNG cars did not come with the cert. I figured if we ever get stopped I can show the registration with the special fuel type or even show them the fill nozzle or tank.

A GX/CV/Camry would be very easy to fake 100% at least exterior wise, the OEM CNG stickers and badgeing would be about $50-75. It's the reflective HOV stickers that would be hard to forge, thank goodness.

Has anyone ever been stopped and hassled because you didn't have the certificate even with all the HOV stickers?
                      -------------
                      moore101
                      2000 Toyota Camry CNG
                      FuelMaker Phill v1.0

Comment

Originally posted by bretlott
                        Who cares?
                        Well us CNGers that live in the traffic choked northern and southern CA regions care. Normal traffic lanes are basically stopped during rush hour and the HOV lanes are only 20 to 50% better in most cases.

Every a$$hat that isn't supposed to be in the HOV lane just slows the rest of us law abiders down. Not that it will matter much if the plan to convert some of the HOV lanes in SoCal to toll roads goes through (hopefully it won't).
                        -------------
                        moore101
                        2000 Toyota Camry CNG
                        FuelMaker Phill v1.0

Comment

The paper you refer to is actually the registration for the stickers. My 04 came with it, but when I contacted DMV to change the registration from them... I couldn't get anyone that knew there was a form to change the sticker reg, so I gave up and keep the old card in my glovebox.

I can't recall, but it may be the same form that you use to get replacement stickers after an accident.

Comment

About a year and a half ago, I had my CV repainted, and got new stickers for it ahead of time. Two days after i put the new stickers on, i was pulled over from the carpool lane in Hwy. 60 East in Ontario, by a CHiP on a bike that KNEW my stickers were fake because they were new, on an older car (One that he SWORE was too old to be Natural Gas), and because I had an empty infant seat in the back (proof positive that I'm a creep).
                            I did end up showing him my brand new cert along with my registration, and that appeased him. I didn't get too upset because I was just glad that SOMEONE was trying to catch the guys. This was right back when it was starting to get to be a major problem with stickers being stolen.
                            He did tell me that I was probably going to get stopped a few more times, because they did look so fake, and that he was 'one of the smarter one's'... i haven't been stopped again since...
                            1997 Factory Crown Victoria w/ extended tanks ~~ Clunkerized!
                            2000 Bi-Fuel Expedition --> ~~ Sold ~~ <--

Comment

Working...
                            X