Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting LP farm tractors to CNG

Folks,
    I'm a newbi so forgive me if I've posted in the wrong place. I'm looking for information to help my brother convert a couple of farm tractors from LPG to natural gas. If anyone has info or can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.
    Thanks,
    Mike
    Last edited by cnghal; 11-22-2008, 12:29 PM.

Re: Converting LP farm tractors to CNG

Mike,

It's an easy conversion...about a half a days work, but why would you want to? They're both a gas when they get to the intake and both have the subsequent advantages over liquid fuels, plus LPG has a storage advantage.

It must be that you have free gas? If so, I'd be glad to walk you thru it.

Give me some more details and I'll see what can be done.

Best regards,

afvman/Bill

Comment

it is a snap add a hp regulator and change the tank we have a MM we did this to we are useing well head gas the btu is close to propane and runs fine if you are useing pipeline gas you may have to fool with the fuel air mix ajustment your tank will be about two times biger for same number of hours I also have some tanks 2400 psi that are fine as long as the fill station is on site they hold only two thirds as much as a 3600 tank the same size that work well for mounting on tractors they are about 3 foot tall and are in getting a new hydro right now should be back in two weeks you can reach me at [email protected]

Comment

Cowboy et al,

If it's an IMPCO mixer, they made a special air/gas valve for lower BTU gas in digesters. Direct from the well head, I'd expect it to be higher.

Have you ever had a sample tested? Anything about 900 BTU/ should be OK for the standard AV-1-14 air valve.

Good luck,

afvman

Comment

yes our gas is 1450 btu at the head pipe line is max 1150 per fed so lpg stuff works well on the the MM being fed cng from the well head but did have less power when we use pipe line gas which we dont do any more than we have to as I am a cheap skate and it eats me up to pay for gas

Comment

Man...that is HOT gas. In WV we were happy with 1100-1200 BTU. LPG is typically lower so if you're loosing power on CNG something else is wrong. I'd crank the distributor around some more and see if that helps.

Base timing on CNG should be around 15 deg. BTDC. Also check the centrifugal (sp?) weights. They always stick.

Good luck and keep us posted.

afvman/Bill

Comment

From that btu level, I assume there is some propane in the gas stream, maybe some ethane as well. Anytime I see gas that hot, I have to de-tune the timing to avoid pinging.

The base timing from Bill is a good starting place but it also depends on the static compression ratio of the engine. Older tractors used compression ratio's in the 6:1 range to allow for lower grades of fuel. If you are using propane, you might get away with it but on natural gas with its high octane, you might find a hot exhaust and possibly burned exhaust valves if the timing is not enhanced.

This is a case of "it all depends on what it depends on!"

Good luck!

Franz

Comment

There is an old trick that usually works when you are not sure of the ignition timing to get optimum power.

Load the engine (use the PTO, beats running along side the tractor) and twist the distributor (advance) until you just hear it ping; then retard the timing until ping is gone and then back off a couple of degrees just to be sure and allow for any variations in fuel composition. Check the setting with a timing light so you know where you are. Make sure it doesn't kick back during starting, if it does retard it a bit.

You also might want to go a couple of heat ranges colder on the plugs. Whatch the plug color for mixture

It has always worked for me and never lost an engine. Of course the longest I ran an engine with that setting was about 40,000 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by larrycng View Post
                  There is an old trick that usually works when you are not sure of the ignition timing to get optimum power.

Load the engine (use the PTO, beats running along side the tractor) and twist the distributor (advance) until you just hear it ping; then retard the timing until ping is gone and then back off a couple of degrees just to be sure and allow for any variations in fuel composition. Check the setting with a timing light so you know where you are. Make sure it doesn't kick back during starting, if it does retard it a bit.

You also might want to go a couple of heat ranges colder on the plugs. Whatch the plug color for mixture

It has always worked for me and never lost an engine. Of course the longest I ran an engine with that setting was about 40,000 miles.
                  Where can you get the parts?

Comment

Where do you get the parts to convert?

Comment

Is there any new farm equipment that runs on CNG, LNG, or propane? I want to have information for farmers conversions, or new purchases. I have placed this chat on my links.

Comment

RON i HAVE CONVERTED THE OLD LPG TO CNG WITH JUST A IMPCO 3600 AND A LITTLE FOOLING WITH STOCK MIXERS DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT THE NEW STUFF

Comment

Found this http://www.farmshow.com/view_articles.php?a_id=1399

Comment

Thanks, I will be actively looking. There is a new tractor too http://www.farm-equipment.com/pages/...as-Tractor.php. I will be advocating the switch. I live in corn and bean country in central Illinois, and would like to save farmers some money. Another Steyr link:http://gas2.org/2011/12/02/steyr-int...-farm-tractor/
                            Last edited by Ron Wagner; 10-09-2012, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X