CNG Certification Class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CNG Certification Class

I'm looking for a CNG certification Class, nearest Oklahoma and was wondering what the requirements were to attend it?

Re: CNG Certification Class

I'm not familiar with anything planned in your area. I would check with the local colleges in your area to see if their curriculum has anything to offer, as well as whoever is doing the ASE certifications for mechanics in your neck of the woods. You may also visit the AFVi website to see if they have any type of training you may attend (www.afvi.com). Best of luck.

Comment

ASE F1 cert test coming up

I understand the national ASE F1 (this is the compressed natural gas certification) test is scheduled for Nov 18th and you need to sign up by tomorrow, Oct 17th if you are going to take it. Otherwise the next one is in 6 months.

Can someone confirm this?

Comment

As far as I know the sign up date for the Fall Test has past, also to take the test you need to be working as a mechanic, Check the ASE site for Schedules, Jim
        Jim Younkin
        www.younkincng.com

Comment

I am a little bit confused on the ASE F1 (CNG) certification. Does that just verify you know what you are doing, or is there some level of teaching involved in the process?

Comment

It just tests what you know based on a series of prepared by an pannel for the industry, it this case, natural gas vehicles. You don't have to be a teacher.

Some community college have altenative fuel programs that will prepare you to take the test and whole lot more. That is what I use to do before retirement.

ASE will be re-evaluating the F-1 test in Febuary of '99 to determine if it is relative to the industry and to determine what changes, if any are necessary to the keep the test current with the industry. I was taking with ASE this morning on about the F-1 and that is latest "skinny"

larrycng

Comment

correction that is February of 2009

Sorry

larrycng

Comment

well, you're missing it because we're taking the class starting today going through Friday at Oklahoma City Community College. the instructor's name is John (I forgot his last name) and he is the instructor for the US Postal Service Training center in Norman so you can track him down there and see when his next class is. To touch a CNG vehicle in Oklahoma, you must be state certified. He has a 5-day class developed to train people on the principles, safety information and laws and has the state rep come in on the 5th day and give the test. You can try and take the test alone through the state but there is no training involved. the test is basically the knowledge of the laws. I don't believe anything in the test actually deals with any knowledge of the CNG safety or operation. Kyle

Comment

Hardman et al,

If his name is John Cook, you can't do much better. (I taught him everything he knows. Tell him Bill McGlinchey said 'Hey'.)

Seriously, Cook was an instructor for the USPS, very proactive in the early NGV days. They had a great program. Let me know what you think.

But, 'certification' is a tricky thing. There is no certification other than the 'you were breathing and sat thru a course' type. ASE's F-1 is the closest thing to a CNG Technician certification as Larry has already pointed out.

There IS a certification for CNG Fuel System Inspectors if you're interested see: http://www.csa-america.org/advisory_...certification/

Good luck!

afvman

Comment

yes it is John Cook actually, thanks Bill

Oklahoma does have a certification test. nobody can legally work on or install a CNG kit without being licensed by the state. I believe both Texas and New Mexico have licensing as well.. Kyle

Comment

Working...
                    X