No announcement yet.

(House Bill - Emanuel) NGV Production & CNG Infrastructure Legislation Proposed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (House Bill - Emanuel) NGV Production & CNG Infrastructure Legislation Proposed

Rep. Rahm Emanuel (D-Ill.) says he plans to push legislation to encourage automakers to sell natural gas cars here. The technology is available. European markets have shown strong demand for such cars.
    This is the same guy that destroyed the Republican Congressional elections in 2006.
    He is a can-do guy.

Please, everyone send him snail mail supporting him.
    If you're in his district you and your friend can email him.
    http://www.house.gov/emanuel/index.shtml

Bill summary:
    http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill...70&tab=summary
    Last edited by John Mitton; 03-17-2009, 09:17 AM.
    CH

NGV Production & CNG Infrastructure Legislation Proposed

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    July 14, 2008

EMANUEL ANNOUNCES NEW PROPOSAL TO INCREASE THE USE OF NATURAL GAS

WASHINGTON, D.C.—At a press conference in Chicago, Rep. Rahm Emanuel today announced plans to introduce legislation that will compel automakers to make 10 percent of their fleet vehicles that run on natural gas by the year 2018. Emanuel’s proposal also includes incentives and tax credits that will result in the addition of natural gas pumps at 20,000 fueling stations across the country. The legislation will be formally introduced later this week.
    “This proposal is a hat trick for America: it's good for our environment, good for our national security and good for drivers who are suffering at the pump. Natural gas is cheap, green and American-made and it’s time we encouraged the use of natural gas vehicles here in America,” said Emanuel. “American drivers should be able to buy a car that runs on a cleaner fuel that is currently half the cost of gas. Developing cars that run on natural gas and making it available at the gas station or at home will save money for consumers and help end our dependence on foreign oil.”
    Emanuel’s legislation would compel automakers to make 10% of their fleet vehicles that run on natural gas by the year 2018. The bill would also offer new incentives to make natural gas more readily available for drivers and could enable the construction of natural gas pumps at 20,000 gas stations across the country. The legislation:
    • Offers a $90,000 tax credit to encourage gas station owners to install natural gas fuel pumps.
    • Provides $2.6 billion in bonding authority to states to provide no or low-interest loans to service stations to install natural gas pumps.
    • Requires the gas stations owned by the major oil companies to install at least one natural gas pump in each station by 2018.
    • Includes tax credits for drivers who convert their cars to allow them to run on natural gas and for those Americans who own home “Phill” units, a simple device that can be installed in a garage that allows drivers to use their home natural gas line to refuel their car.

Currently, natural gas costs about half of the price of gasoline and produces approximately one-third less emissions. Additionally, 98% of the natural gas Americans currently consume is produced in North America and current estimates indicate that America has a 118 year supply of natural gas.
    “The United States has abundant natural gas reserves,” added Emanuel. “It’s time to start making those reserves work for us.”
    American automakers have the technology to produce vehicles that run on natural gas. General Motors currently makes four different natural gas vehicles in Europe and Asia and Ford has previously built natural gas vehicles that were used in the House of Representatives.
    The Emanuel legislation would also create jobs and help offset recent declines in the SUV and light truck market. Estimates indicate that increased demand for natural gas powered vehicles and natural gas production could create 500,000 US energy industry jobs.
    BiggJohn
    -------------------
    2000 CNG Camry
    VRA Wannabe

Comment

Re: NGV Production & CNG Infrastructure Legislation Proposed

I think american automakers DID make 10% of their fleet vehicles Nat Gas 5-6 years ago.. hehe... the 2018 goal is a little silly. Maybe it's to give them time to 'work on the technology'...

Well, off to go for a ride in my 11 year old '2018 technology' Crown Vic...
      1997 Factory Crown Victoria w/ extended tanks ~~ Clunkerized!
      2000 Bi-Fuel Expedition --> ~~ Sold ~~ <--

Comment

Re: NGV Production &amp; CNG Infrastructure Legislation Proposed

Originally posted by CraziFuzzy View Post
        I think american automakers DID make 10% of their fleet vehicles Nat Gas 5-6 years ago.. hehe... the 2018 goal is a little silly. Maybe it's to give them time to 'work on the technology'...

Well, off to go for a ride in my 11 year old '2018 technology' Crown Vic...
        I understand your frustration but it's a needed start. No other politician has mentioned CNG! NOTE: This includes the infrastructure which is why CNG failed in the US.

Also, if this catches on there is no reason it cannot be amended to 2015 or 2012.
        If we get the oil companies (own the pumps) and the car co's online so they don't fight it.

Please give Washington DC a chance.
        CH

Comment

Re: NGV Production &amp; CNG Infrastructure Legislation Proposed [threads merged]

I just laugh every time I hear of legislation to fix a current problem in 10 years. If I were in government, I could solve the problems of the entire world by introducing legislation (the Darren bill) to make "EVERYTHING FREE" by the year 3000! Wow, I just saved the world.

Comment

Re: NGV Production &amp; CNG Infrastructure Legislation Proposed [threads merged]

I think that every member and guest on this chat site that is for the issue of CNG could drop a line to their favorite member of Congress asking them to Co-sponsor this legislation. As I live in Ohio I have done this and I will spread the word to friends to do so also. An email to every Communications Manager of a gas company would also be a good idea too. Let them do some lobbying also.

Comment

Originally posted by ch4 View Post
              This includes the infrastructure which is why CNG failed in the US.
              You have to have an attempt before something can be considered a failure. CNG is a huge success for public/private fleets in the US, which, until recently, is the only place that make financial sense. Aside from the relatively tiny numbers of Civic GX's, there has been NO attempt for private CNG use in the states. Not the result of inaddequate infrastucture, just inaddequate reason to do it. Gasoline was just too damn cheap here. (historically, inflation adjusted, 1999 was the cheapest gas prices in the US... ever.)

Comment

Originally posted by CraziFuzzy View Post
                You have to have an attempt before something can be considered a failure. CNG is a huge success for public/private fleets in the US, which, until recently, is the only place that make financial sense. Aside from the relatively tiny numbers of Civic GX's, there has been NO attempt for private CNG use in the states. Not the result of inaddequate infrastucture, just inaddequate reason to do it. Gasoline was just too damn cheap here. (historically, inflation adjusted, 1999 was the cheapest gas prices in the US... ever.)
                Totally agree with everything above - NOW there is a reason and w/ mandated pumps this looks well thought and needs our help to pass.

NOTE: These are not unfunded mandates.

Since we have alot of CNG experience and expertise on cngchat please create your own suggestions on how to improve the legislation. Maybe someone from Rahm's district could email all of our suggestions.
                CH

Comment

I called the good Congressman from Illinois 5th District today to try to find out if the bill had a been assigned a number yet and been assigned to a committee. Congressman Emanuel is on the House Ways and means committee. A good committee to be on. That commitee steers all the bills on to other committees.

I was talking to a small trucking firm here in Ohio today. Their fuel bill is $1200 a day and they are converting so that they can stay alive.

With CNG people are going to vote with their wallets. It would be a good idea if someone sent the good Congressman from Illinois a CNG bumper sticker to one of his field offices. Every bill in order for it to pass will need co-sponsors. The more that pile on for the good of the bill; the better for the issue.

I am a newbie to CNG but let me float this one: How about inviting the Illinois Congressman to a discussion here once the bill gets its number? With all the expertise that we have here that would be very interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabby View Post
                    I think that every member and guest on this chat site that is for the issue of CNG could drop a line to their favorite member of Congress asking them to Co-sponsor this legislation. As I live in Ohio I have done this and I will spread the word to friends to do so also. An email to every Communications Manager of a gas company would also be a good idea too. Let them do some lobbying also.

OK all you Utahtans. Write your Congressmen.
                    http://www.utah.gov/government/contactgov.html

Utah's US Representatives

Christopher Cannon
                    Jim Matheson
                    Rob Bishop

Utah's US Senators

Robert Bennett
                    Orrin Hatch
                    Last edited by ch4; 07-17-2008, 02:52 PM.
                    CH

Comment

Originally posted by ch4 View Post
                      Totally agree with everything above - NOW there is a reason and w/ mandated pumps this looks well thought and needs our help to pass.

NOTE: These are not unfunded mandates.
                      I hope they'll be funded well enough since most oil majors are moving away from company owned gas stations by selling them to anyone that will buy them and pay for the right to display a gas given company name. It won't be long before all gas stations in the US will be owned by mom and pops franchisees. Any mandate will be forcing this class of owners, not big oil to install CNG stations, so if not properly funded, it will shrink their bottom line or possibly put them out of business.
                      Adrian

Navy 2008 Civic GX (wife's)
                      Silver 2012 Toyota Prius
                      Grey 2012 Civic Natural Gas (mine)

Comment

Let's support Sen. Inhofe's initiative too

Please also follow the thread here on the Senate bill being introduced. Let's support these initiatives!

Comment

Re: (House Bill - Emanuel) NGV Production &amp; CNG Infrastructure Legislation Proposed

Gabby, I moved your post on the Senate bill over to that thread:
                          http://www.cngchat.com/forum/showthr...?t=2767&page=2

Let's try to keep separate discussions on the House Bill and Senate Bills so as to better coordinate our grass-roots response to Congress.

Comment

Re: (House Bill - Emanuel) NGV Production &amp; CNG Infrastructure Legislation Proposed

So, if gas stations and big oil companies get involved what makes you think there not going to drive prices up on natural gas? (Just like Oil.) HMMMMMMM.................

Comment

Well, I tend to believe that no-one is truely 'driving up' the price of gasoline. The demand of oil has changed drastically over the last 10-15 years, and the US has until recently been immune. The value of our money has also dropped considerably as of late, so the 'apparent' rise in cost is considerebly higher. There are a lot more expenses in the production/delivery of gasoline than CNG. Oil has to be pumped, transported, refined (which requires a lot of other specialty streams, such as gasses and catalysts), then the gasoline transported again, and delivered. CNG has to be pulled from the ground, slightly processed (water knock-out, filtering) and transported by pipeline for delivery.

As you can see, as the economy weakens, and our dollar gets even weaker, the 'aparent' cost of everything goes up. Since gasoline has so many steps, and each individual step gets a subsequent price increase, the product price at the pump will get hit VERY hard.

There just isn't room in the CNG process for that kind of effect. It is also a much more varied market, with more players. This will lead to a more stable market, as it isn't driven nearly as much by foreign monopolistic organizations. There is enough domestic supply of NG to stabalize the market and prevent foreign 'price fixing'.

Comment

Working...
                              X