X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curtis
    replied
    Re: Are We All Killing A Great Idea?

I'm not sure what compressor you need unless I know your driving habits. In general, the ups and downs of the various options are listed in the refueling forum and it would be inappropriate to get into that discussion outside the propper forum. I would do s search for FMQ2-36 and review the info already posted on that unit. Additional filterinfg is not needed if you're not on well gas. Repost the question there if you can't find the answers you need.what you need.

Leave a comment:

• GAgreen
    replied

Thank you, Curtis. I called Nalley (closest to me), and they indicated they have certified staff on hand. They service the City of Atlanta's GX fleet. The service advisor I spoke with said service for consumers was no problem. He then transferred me to internet sales, and they are researching their ability to bring a GX to the dealership for me. (might as well give them the business...they'll be servicing it...and this spares me a major logistical problem)

Can you give me some details on the compressor I need? I don't like what I've read about the Phil. Will the FMQ2-36 be ok? What type of nozzle should I request when I purchase it? Also, when it's installed, should I have the technicians place a filter between my home service and the compressor? If so, can you recommend a filter? It seems to me that the compressor and the car will benefit over the long haul if the NG is pre-filtered.

Any other advice you have would be appreciated. You need not worry about insulting my intelligence...I'm way down on the learning curve.

Oh yeah...they asked how I found out about them. Gave you some cred on the contact.
    Last edited by GAgreen; 07-30-2008, 05:55 PM. Reason: style

Leave a comment:

• Curtis
    replied

Here are your local GX authorized dealers in the Atlanta area.

Nalley Honda
    4197 Jonesboro Rd
    Union City, GA 30291
    (770)306-8236
    7.8 miles away

Curry Honda
    5525 Peachtree Industrial Blvd
    Chamblee, GA 30341
    (770)451-2700
    19.0 miles away

I hope this helps. As they are "Fleet Only" dealers they should have techs on staff.

Leave a comment:

• GAgreen
    replied

You raise interesting and valid points. Why hasn't Chrysler moved its Powerbox (CNG SUV hybrid) to the factory floor already? Me? As soon as I can locate CNG service for a Civic GX in Atlanta, I'm buying one. My commute is 115 miles/M-F. The payoff at $3.50 was $18k over 5 years (with me driving the GX and wifey parking the SUV and commuting in the Stratus instead), and that doesn't even take tax credits into consideration. Another reason that justifies the GX at any cost: today our concern is gas PRICE. Tomorrow our concern may be gas AVAILABILITY at any price. With a CNG vehicle, you get a better price and a more secure energy source.

So...anyone got a lead on Mr. CNGoodwrench in Atlanta?

Leave a comment:

• younkin
    replied

As soon as something is not Economically Viable anymore it will go the way of the Stone Age, I have talked to others from New Zealand, Australia and Argentina that have used CNG and Propane their whole lives, in the US we are facing that choice now, our children and grandchildren may not even know what Unleaded Gas is? Jim

Leave a comment:

• lbliss
    replied

Originally posted by younkin View Post
    I am sure a few people will remember gas when it was $.19 a gallon. In 1968 I was paying that in Rigby Id as I filled up my Pea Green 49 Chevy Deluxe (it blew up later and I gave it to Joe Buzzards Junkyard in Pocatello but that is another story)
    The gas is high and it will go higher. Does it put a strain on everyone? Most everyone but some of us will find alternatives, better MPG's, Motorcycles, AFV's, bicycles and Electric Cars. The market will correct and someone will help us find a cheaper way to drive and some of us may stop driving all together. We Americans are very inovative and we always come out on top in the end, I choose to remain positive, Jim
    I heard someone say "the Stone age did not end because we ran out of Stones"

Leave a comment:

• lbliss
    replied

You are right,
    most people follow the money. Economics is why I am looking at CNV.
    I now have to figure out how long I need to keep my car to get my investment out of it.

Until it is economical to convert to CNG most people will not do it.

Leave a comment:

• CraziFuzzy
    replied

Originally posted by mecklen View Post
    I'm very concerned as I read posts focusing on price per gge as the motivating factor. Prices change, economics change. If that's your reason for being here, you might be gone next week/month/year. Factors like geopolitics and the environment tend to be longer lasting, more stable issues.
    TBH Mecklen, most people could honestly care less about those reasons. The bottom line is the most important factor in almost all decisions made by the average american, followed closely by ease and convenience.

Sure, if there is an option that costs the same, or less, is just as easy to use, but is better for the environment, it will be used, but if the higher priority things are there, the decision making process won't even GET to the environment.

I, for instance, bought my first CNG car a few years ago. Not for environmental reasons (priority 3). It wasn't even for the cost (priority 1). At the time, I was commuting 65 miles each way to work, in LA rush hour, and the CNG car got me the carpool stickers. This gave it HUGE points in convenience (priority 2).

Fast forward to earlier this year. CNG is a lot cheaper than gasoline. My wife bought a bi-fuel Expedition. Again, environmentalism wasn't a reason (it's not really much cleaner than the Impala she had been driving). She got it because it was the only economical way she could get justify getting an SUV (her driving costs with the CNG expedition are about the same as they were with her gasoline impala). It also helped in the convenience, because it has gotten us to the point where it is cost effective to go with home refueling. But, like I'd point out, clean air was not the issue.

Leave a comment:

• mecklen
    replied

I'm very concerned as I read posts focusing on price per gge as the motivating factor. Prices change, economics change. If that's your reason for being here, you might be gone next week/month/year. Factors like geopolitics and the environment tend to be longer lasting, more stable issues.

Right now, the price of gasoline has dropped below $4 per gallon (national average). I wonder how many SUV drivers will be happily roaring down the road tomorrow thinking that they "dodged a bullet"?

Leave a comment:

• rkcarguy
    replied

I have to speak out against the people "doing the math".
    Lets look at it in a broader/different perspective. Lets say 2 individuals buy the same rig, one is a gasoline_____, the other spends the extra $$$ for a CNG powered____. Then gas goes up to $8/gallon. All the sudden Mr. gas doesn't have enough monthly income to make ends meet anymore, and gets to choose between eat/pay mortage/drive to work.

We all invest to make more money and get ahead, but sometimes we have to invest just to stay afloat during hard times.....

Leave a comment:

• UtahGasBill
    replied

I agree Freedml - and above everything else... when we are nearing the end of life and our grandkids ask " Hey Grandpa, did you ever do anything to help my generation solve the environmental problems this planet faces"? And we look at them and say "Naw, it came down to a decision to spend the extra money on purchasing a clean burning CNG vehicle or just stick with my gas burning polluter". "Oh, so what did you do Grandpa"? Well
    I figured I could buy the same vehicle (gasoline only) for about $3,500. $6,500 will buy you 1,625 gallons of gasoline at $4/gal. And at 30 miles/gal you will go 48,750 miles on that $6,500. That is about 3 - 4 years of driving.
    How long must we all wait to change
    This world bound in chains that we live in?
    To know what it is to forgive,
    And be forgiven?
    It's been too many years of talking now.
    Isnt it time to stop somehow?
    Air thats too angry to breathe, water our children can't drink
    You've heard it hundreds of times
    You say your aware, believe, and you care, but...
    Do you care enough
    To talk with conviction of the heart?

Kenny Loggins - Conviction of the Heart

Sorry Kid!!!

Leave a comment:

• freedml
    replied

Used CNG cars are appreciating now, but that may or may not continue. Those of us who bought CNG cars months or years ago were lucky (or smart ) But, you DO know absolutely that you are saving $1-$2-$3 or more on every gallon of fuel you use TODAY. A bird in the hand...

Leave a comment:

• m-couper
    replied

Originally posted by Highmarker View Post
    dkellas,

People just don't do the math. If you pay $10K or more for a 2001 or 2002 Chevy Cavalier CNG. Look at www.edmunds.com and you'll find that you could buy the same vehicle (gasoline only) for about $3,500. $6,500 will buy you 1,625 gallons of gasoline at $4/gal. And at 30 miles/gal you will go 48,750 miles on that $6,500. That is about 3 - 4 years of driving. People just don't do the math.
    Depreciation is key here. The true cost of something is only the amount lost from the time of purchase to the time of sale. Since the vehicles are not only keeping their value, they are in most cases appreciating. The cost of ownership is an initial investment. Add up all of the fuel saving during the time of usage and then sell the vehicle at market value to determine how much your really saving.

Leave a comment:

• freedml
    replied

that's gasOLINE supplies.

Leave a comment:

• magDaddy
    replied

What is missing from the ROI calculations is the very high probability that gas supplies will be interrupted by world events. Does anybody remember the gas rationing in 1974 when were on importing 24% foreign oil ? Now that the number is 70% imagine the consequences. CNG vehicles would be able to avoid this situtation completely - factor that !

Leave a comment:

Working...
X