• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safety of Gas vs. CNG - example

Many people ask me if CNG is safe. I say safer than gasoline in a minivan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vLiC-wnmqU

Re: Safety of Gas vs. CNG - example

A single example is a bad way to justify your answer. Someone could easily shoot back 'what about the GX whose tank launched like a rocket in the Northwest' or 'what about the airport van that exploded near LAX'? Those two beat your one. But all are poor examples.

Natural gas is safer because it is lighter than air and dissipates if released. Gasoline forms a pool on the ground and the combustible vapor which comes off the liquid is heavy and tends to stay on the ground waiting to be ignited.

Natural gas is stored under high pressure which can be a danger if the tank ruptures (no known examples of this except the LAX example where the vehicle was in an accident and not inspected after the body work was done). If the tank is heated too much (such as in a car fire) a pressure relief valve is supposed to open and release the pressure. If it fails it could be a danger (the Northwest example).

Over all I believe CNG is a little safer than gasoline, but both are very safe overall.
    02 GX
    01 GX
    03 Crown Vic
    06 GX
    Home Fueler

Comment

CanAm et al,

The definitive study on CNG safety was done in the late 70's (I think) in New York. It's called the Ebasco Report and took a worst case scenario of two vehicles involved in an accident in the middle of the Holland Tunnel.

To make a long story short, I agree with 'freedml', CNG is safer than gasoline.

I get nervous now when I move the switch on my dash to gasoline! Actually the switch says, 'US or OPEC'. It just depends on who you want to support.

afvman/Bill

Comment

Originally posted by afvman View Post
        I get nervous now when I move the switch on my dash to gasoline! Actually the switch says, 'US or OPEC'. It just depends on who you want to support.

afvman/Bill
        LOL! That's good stuff.

Comment

Working...
        X