Adsorbed Natural Gas Technology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Adsorbed Natural Gas Technology

Anything new going on in the area of ANG? It would seem that the time is ripe for this technology to make it's way into production...
    Last edited by twh_mn; 01-19-2013, 08:47 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

There is new stuff afoot in this area of research. I met with a CNGChat member in Oct, who had a new material that would add 100 miles of range to a standard GX tank, when added into the tank. A partnership with a tank manufacturer to test the material was my suggestion. His goal was a smaller tank at lower pressure to get the same range, but bring the pressure to 500 psi, which would reduce the cost of the infrastructure to dirt cheap.

So what would you rather have? 1) 100 miles more range, or 2) the same range and a $1500 home compressor, or maybe even $500, for a Phill style unit.

Comment

Sure would be nice to get the material to add to my tank. That might be a 500 mile range.

The technology will get here, it is just a matter of when, this year or next decade?

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis View Post
          There is new stuff afoot in this area of research. I met with a CNGChat member in Oct, who had a new material that would add 100 miles of range to a standard GX tank, when added into the tank. A partnership with a tank manufacturer to test the material was my suggestion. His goal was a smaller tank at lower pressure to get the same range, but bring the pressure to 500 psi, which would reduce the cost of the infrastructure to dirt cheap.

So what would you rather have? 1) 100 miles more range, or 2) the same range and a $1500 home compressor, or maybe even $500, for a Phill style unit.
          There are pros and cons to each evolution. Yes, lower pressure would be idea, but what would that have to do to the existing infrastructure? Also, what is the adsorbtion time of the ANG material? Would this relegate it to only slow fill use? If so, then it is going to be useful for commuters only, who in most cases, don't need the extra range to begin with. You could, potentially still use the 3600psi fill connection, and then an onboard regulator to limit the fill to the 500-600 psi, but most likely this will result in just a small partial fill to 500, then it will shut off, and then, once that gas is adsorbed, you're back down to 200psi, and a nearly empty tank.

For the commuter though, the cheaper home unit would be a huge benefit - but I'm wondering if it would really be that much cheaper. There isn't much difference in construction costs of a 4000 psi compressor, and a 500psi compressor. Just lower lawyer fees.
          1997 Factory Crown Victoria w/ extended tanks ~~ Clunkerized!
          2000 Bi-Fuel Expedition --> ~~ Sold ~~ <--

Comment

This could become an enabling technology for future conversions in my view. Two big issues with conversions is the amount of trunk space lost for the tank and the high pressure 'stigma' in many peoples minds. This seems to address both, making it possible for smaller tanks to become 'tucked away' rathern than being the oversized pig behind the back seat. If I could get 200 miles range on even 1000psi-1500psi, instead of 3600, I would imagine that such a compressor could have a prolonged lifetime between rebuilds, compared to existing HRA's
            '11 Fusion Bi Fuel & FMQ2-36 VRA
            (Former owner '09 Civic GX)

Comment

If I were to pick . . . I'd choose option D . . . ALL of The Above!!

Need: greater storage/range , more home VRA options (faster like FMQ2-36 / Coltri - - outdoor), plus low cost alternative to Phil (in garage), AND lots of vehicle options that run on CNG!!

CNG industry needs to RUN, not walk, towards all these options and rapidly work out any bugs. Thomas Edison didn't figure out the lightbulb on his first try. Time to innovate and become world leader is now. President Obama speech today reinforced that USA needs to LEAD the way again!!

Comment

Originally posted by KSneedsCNG View Post
                If I were to pick . . . I'd choose option D . . . ALL of The Above!!

Need: greater storage/range , more home VRA options (faster like FMQ2-36 / Coltri - - outdoor), plus low cost alternative to Phil (in garage), AND lots of vehicle options that run on CNG!!

CNG industry needs to RUN, not walk, towards all these options and rapidly work out any bugs. Thomas Edison didn't figure out the lightbulb on his first try. Time to innovate and become world leader is now. President Obama speech today reinforced that USA needs to LEAD the way again!!
                just remember thomas edison found a thousand ways not to build a light bulb before he found 1 way to build it

Comment

Any new news on absorbed natural gas (ang) or metal organic framework (mof) for increasing storage capacity of on-board cng in cars and light trucks? BASF has been in trials for over 3 years. Energtek is selling small tanks in India for 3-wheelers. I'd like to get pellets to add to my high pressure cng tank to extend the range of my Scion xB beyond 90 miles. I love this car and it runs great on cng but don't have room for another high pressure tank. Any body know how I can extend my range?

Comment

I spoke with GTI at an LNG conference about the status in low pressure/adsorbed technology last November in Houston. Sounds like things are proceeding slowly, it's easy enough to get the gas to adsorb , harder to get it to let go when you press on the gas pedal.

Comment

• Re: Adsorbed Natural Gas Technology

BASF made a big splash at the NGV America conference a couple of months ago with a display booth and a Class 8 tractor as shown here:
                      http://www.catalysts.basf.com/p02/US...-storage/index

They offer the tractor for over the road trucking companies to borrow so as to get empirical data on improved storage densities. They wouldn't say what improvement they are seeing but word on the street is it provides up to 15 - 20% more fuel onboard.

Comment

• Re: Absorbed Natural Gas Technology

The adsorption rate is about 4%, too low to be practical. And the real problem is in getting the gas back out. Good idea just not ready for prime time.

Comment

ANG storage tanks being developed by EnerG2, Seattle to be tested by NW Natural, a gas utility in Oregon. NW Natural announced plans to run bench trials followed by vehicle testing:

http://www.worktruckonline.com/chann...e-systems.aspx

Comment

See the comments to WorkTruckOnline link that says the low pressure Adsorbed Tank technology is being developed by University of Missouri at Columbia and Midwest Research Institute (Kansas City) !!! It is called ALL-CRAFT (Alliance for Collaborative Research in Alternative Fuel Technology.

Hoorah, this might have chance of making it since Exxon is not involved !!

http://all-craft.missouri.edu

Comment

Working...
                            X