CNG vs LPG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CNG vs LPG?

Your LPG is cheap. We are paying 2.80+ here in Washington state. Better than $4+ for gas though.

Comment

Originally posted by dovh49 View Post
      What would be nice is to take a dedicated CNG vehicle and then make it bi-fuel with LPG. Then you can go anywhere, be clean, and have a simpler more effecient set up than the normal bi-fuels with gasoline.
      ... and it would qualify for the full $4,000 (up to 8,500 GVWR) to $8,000 (over 8,500 GVWR) federal tax credit since both fuels are alternative

Comment

Originally posted by rkcarguy View Post
        Your LPG is cheap. We are paying 2.80+ here in Washington state. Better than $4+ for gas though.
        I'm on the canadian west coast and it's 2.83

Comment

Well, thanks for the good discussion on it.

I wondered if there was something significant because I had read of people dumping LPG addons in favor of CNG and I did not know if there was a reason. It sounds like it is mostly economics of which fuel is cheaper. But the CNG tanks are much more expensive initially.

I really think the Gov, Oil companies, and auto manufactures want to look like they are doing something - without really doing nearly as much as they could. Otherwise we would see more advertising and promotion of CNG, which is less tied to big oil....

Comment

be careful comparing prices between LNG an CNG if your state adds road taxes to the propane. Seems like years ago many people converted to propane here in Idaho then the state figured out they needed to charge them road taxes.

just wait until they start charging road tax for home fueling CNG.

Comment

One other difference between LPG and CNG is LPG is heavier than air, while CNG is lighter than air.

CNG will dissipate and remove itself from the immediate leak area, should a leak occur.

Since LPG is heavier than air, LPG can invisibly puddle in to the lowest area of an underground parking facility.

That is why some underground parking facilities and Condo buildings won't allow LPG vehicles to park in underground parking.

BOOM !
              LPG
              CNG

Comment

Originally posted by Dmitry View Post
                Curt, I live in Monterey Bay area, CA. LPG at Suburban Propane, Marina is $3.60. CNG at PG&E, Salinas is $2.60, CNG at Monterey-Salinas Transit filling station is $1.12 for 3600 psi, but it's not available to the public. How do you get LPG "as motor fuel" - is there any legislative basis to this?

I personally believe the drive towards alternative fuels is strictly economic. So maybe propane IS a better option given the overall cost/benefit factor. Have you heard of any OEM LPG cars for sale in US? I know they have them in Japan and in Europe, but that's a sore subject. Thank you.
                LPG as motor fuel is simply dispensed through a legal dispencer and charged road tax. Bottle propane runs about $1 more in the area's I'm familiar with. I agree that it's all economics. The problem with LPG is that there are almost no epa kits nowdays. Rousch just came out with a F150 propane truck. I saw it at Vegas but don't recall who did the conversion, unless it was Rousch. There was an IMPCO Mustang conversion from Texas too, owned by IMPCO. They must be doing some of the Ford motorgroups.

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis View Post
                  LPG as motor fuel is simply dispensed through a legal dispencer and charged road tax. Bottle propane runs about $1 more in the area's I'm familiar with. I agree that it's all economics. The problem with LPG is that there are almost no epa kits nowdays. Rousch just came out with a F150 propane truck. I saw it at Vegas but don't recall who did the conversion, unless it was Rousch. There was an IMPCO Mustang conversion from Texas too, owned by IMPCO. They must be doing some of the Ford motorgroups.
                  So this is where I get confused - why is the same fuel + road tax actually less expensive by close to 30%? Where does that extra dollar come from - to pay the guy who is filling up the bottles?

And is there any resource we can use to locate the "motor fuel" LPG stations? I've been searching online, but all kinds of "U-haul" type places pop up.

I realize this is CNG forum, but maybe the fight between CNG and LPG is not over. In consumer terms it makes more sense to spend less now. I vote LPG. I am sure vendors are here, can anybody quote me an LPG conversion of a Crown Victoria?

Comment

I've discovered that these stations don't always list themselves in the Alt Fuels Data Center (AFDC) site.

Try altfuelprices.com and cleancarmaps.com.

Comment

It appears that a number of propane converters are still out there:

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/articl...175456,00.html
                      Devin

http://www.cnginfoguide.com

http://feedproxy.google.com/CngInformationGuide
                      http://feedproxy.google.com/CngForSale

Comment

Originally posted by Devo View Post
                        It appears that a number of propane converters are still out there:

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/articl...175456,00.html
                        There were 2 companies here that quit for lack of CARB approved, and possibly EPA, kits. I think they dropped the service when OBDII came around. Many kit's still come from Canada with no US approvals.

Comment

I believe TechnoCarb has a few EPA certified LPG kits, though they would only be for new/near new cars, as I doubt they will continue certification for more than 1 or 2 model years old. It appears they have EPA certified bi-fuel and dedicated LPG kits for most ford 4.6 and 5.4 applications (2005-2007). http://www.technocarb.com/index.php?...d=10&Itemid=76
                          1997 Factory Crown Victoria w/ extended tanks ~~ Clunkerized!
                          2000 Bi-Fuel Expedition --> ~~ Sold ~~ <--

Comment

http://www.gotpropane.com/

Now here is a propane kit.

Comment

I have read that price of LPG is somehow tied to the price of crude oil. LPG is a by-product of gasoline and natural gas production. It is not the case of CNG. CNG is a cleaner burning fuel, and, if greenhouse emissions is an issue, CNG is a cleaner option. I was told that in comparison to gasoline, LPG produces 30% less CO2 and CNG produces 70% less CO2. A gas, very similar to CNG, can be "squeezed" out of coal.

Comment

And at one time they just burned off LPG, how times have changed.
                                John

Comment

Working...
                                X