All about tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: All about tanks

I agree this really doesn't prove anything. The car next to it looks pretty good, was burnt a little from the fire but does look like explosive damage to it. And this was arson. If this was in the real world hopefully the driver was smart enough to get out of the car when it's was on FIRE. This explosion occured because the PRD failed. The same thing can happen to a gasoline vehicle or maybe I've seen one too many films. Don't think your gas tank has a PRD.

Do not play with matches and Smokey says only you can prevent forest fires.
    sigpichttp://WWW.CNGMOTORS.COM
    SAVE TIME. SAVE MONEY. SAVE THE ENVIRONMENT.

2003 Hummer H2 bi-fuel
    2000 GMC Yukon XL bi-fuel
    1999 International 4700 dual-fuel
    2007 Chevy Avalanche bi-fuel

FMQ2-36 Fuelmaker w/ 24 GGE cascade

Comment

With as many illegal shops and shadetree mechanics as there are at work in Utah these days, I'm thinking this Fourth of July could be a doozie.
      "And the rockets red glare, CNG tanks bursting in air......"
      Your Friendly Nazi Squirrel Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by cnghal View Post
        To clarify, no NGV-2 cylinders (Types I, II, III, and IV) can currently be recertified for another 15 years.
        I am not trying to debate your statement (as if to say you do not know what you are talking about), but explain why this sticker exists? It clearly specs a retest date ...
        Attached Files
        Last edited by jblue; 07-16-2008, 05:11 PM.

?Innovation is driven by having access to things.? -- Gleb Budman, CEO of backblaze.com

Comment

Originally posted by jblue View Post
          I am not trying to debate your statement, but if what you say is true, why does this sticker exist? It clearly specs a retest date ...
          Might it be the re-cert sticker is from a previous era when you could recertify tanks?
          2008 GX (extended range, trunkless version)
          Polished Metal Metallic 2012 Civic Natural Gas
          Fuelmaker FMQ-2-36 (since 2001)
          Previously owned: 2000 GX (11 years), 1995 Bi-fuel Sonoma, 2000 Bifuel Tahoe, 2000 Bi-fuel F150

Comment

Some steel CNG tanks can be recertified.
            02 GX
            01 GX
            03 Crown Vic
            06 GX
            Home Fueler

Comment

I am only guessing as well.

Any company can have any sticker made. Re-Test is not Re-Certify.

It looks like a service company made it as advertisement/documentation the they inspected (tested?) the tank. CNG tanks are supposed to be inspected every three years or 36,000 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by Larryect View Post
                It looks like a service company made it as advertisement/documentation the they inspected (tested?) the tank. CNG tanks are supposed to be inspected every three years or 36,000 miles.
                Did you look at the sticker?

An inspection was done in 03 and the retest date is 2014. A wee bit more than the 3/36 spec.

?Innovation is driven by having access to things.? -- Gleb Budman, CEO of backblaze.com

Comment

Jblue,
                  Do you have this tank or know it's date of manufacture? 1999?
                  This sticker has many levels of confusing information. Is it an inspection sticker or retest/recertification sticker? Is the tank Dot 3AA or NGV2-2?
                  As far as I know from NGV Cylinder Inspector Certification Class, NGV-2 cylinders are no longer pressure tested due to it's destructive nature and are certified by the manufacturer for 15 years (20 years on some Canadian cylinders) from date of manufacture and that's it. They are required to be visually inspected every 3 years or 36,000 miles, which ever comes first.
                  DOT 3AA cylinders or bottles which are used in stations, storage trailers and boats for use on stoves are pressure tested and recertified every 5, 10 or 12 years, depending on type of use. If certification stamp or marks are no longer visible, a stamped metal plate may be used for identification. DOT 3AA cylinders are no longer certified for use in NGVs in the United States.
                  Your Friendly Nazi Squirrel Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by cnghal View Post
                    As far as I know from NGV Cylinder Inspector Certification Class, NGV-2 cylinders are no longer pressure tested due to it's destructive nature and are certified by the manufacturer for 15 years (20 years on some Canadian cylinders) from date of manufacture and that's it.
                    cool. Thanks for rehashing that for me!

I think what they did is use a 3AA sticker and filled in NGV2 info ...
                    Last edited by jblue; 07-17-2008, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X