Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it safe to use an old CNG tank as an air compressor tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it safe to use an old CNG tank as an air compressor tank?

Hi, i hope this is an appropriate question to ask here; can i use a CNG tank (exp. date 2028) as a remote air storage tank for my 200psi air compressor? some guy said, "Aluminum and copper develop failure of the metal when used with natural gas." if that's the case then will using a used CNG tank for my air compressor for a prolonged amount of time, years after the expiration date, not be a good idea?

-Thanks

There should be no problem with using it as an air tank. Because there will be no drain You will want to dry the air before it goes in the tank.

Comment

awesome, ill make sure to attach a descant. thanks.

Comment

Don't some tanks have a bung on each end? Mount it upright and put a drain at the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by hypermilinggx View Post
          Don't some tanks have a bung on each end? Mount it upright and put a drain at the bottom.
          Yes, mine does. i will fill from the top and put a drain valve on the bottom.

Comment

The bung & plug is going to have an oddball thread size. If the plug is thick enough, maybe you can drill and tap it to 1/4" NPT.

Comment

Originally posted by hypermilinggx View Post
              The bung & plug is going to have an oddball thread size. If the plug is thick enough, maybe you can drill and tap it to 1/4" NPT.
              yes, you're right. I went ahead and bought some NPT taps. the bung is fairly beefy. 3/4" npt inlet and several 1/2" for running 1/2 hose.

Comment

Working...
              X