Can you put LPG into a CNG tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you put LPG into a CNG tank?

I'm new here. Spent a few hours reading up on this forum and didn't find the answer to it. I realize you can't do it the other way but is it possible to put LPG into a CNG tank? I'm guessing it's possible and probably safe but the fill and the valves aren't correct. I would also assume once it's used for propane it can't go back to CNG. I know it's a long shot but I remember somebody at some point on some forum claimed you could (reliable info I know).

I live in Portland Oregon and I own several classic cars I'm interested in doing a dual fuel conversation (gas and propane) on. However Portland is a big black hole for CNG fill stations and even though PGE and Eaton promised a $500 compressor it seems that is still not a reality. I also find a lot more lightweight used CNG (still a long ways from Hydro date) for cheaper than I can find a lightweight propane tank.

Nothing is impossible. But, switching from CNG to LPG would be a major effort. Why would you want the extra weight? And you're right all the valveing, transfer lines and regulation would have to be swapped out. I think it would be better to tear out the CNG system in start from scratch. Respectfully submitted AFV man

Comment

Agree with afvman. Even the lightest weight carben fiber cng cylinder will be about 3 x the weight if a steel LPG cylinder.

On the low cost cng compressors, It would be more likely to have a merger of the united states and north Korea. Those press releases on compressor tech and price were pure hype.

Comment

Working...
      X