2001 Toyota Camry 70K - Dead Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 Toyota Camry 70K - Dead Engine

I lost my engine in my 2001 Camry. I have had rod knock or some other engine noise for about 3 months and I had a mechanic check it out and he said I was headed for a rebuild. He told me to keep driving on it tell it went and I only got 3 months. The part that really has got me scratching my head is that the engine only has 70,000 miles on it. Is there anything Toyota might do with this obvious early death?
    Michael Williams
    2001 Toyota Camry

Re: 2001 Toyota Camry 70K - Dead Engine

first and formost you need a new mechanic as him telling you to keep driving now has cost you a crank and rod and a good chance a block alot of the time when you hear a knock if you stop right than you can drop the pan and roll new bearings in and mabey emery cloth the crank and drive it for a long time but when you keep driving it beats the crank up and it it will have to be turned or replaced. as far as toyota doing anything nope the car is 11 years old

Comment

Yep, even the pitiful old Yugos of years ago would go for more than 70K miles. No engine should fail at 70K miles!

Engine had to be starved of oil . . . either failing oil pump, no oil at all, or wrong bearings from day one. ASAP I sure would switch oil to something better like Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, etc.

I'd sure take car (towed of course to prevent any more driving) to an engine rebuilder expert and get their opinion. Those 4 cylinder engines in Camry NG were 2.4 liter if I remember right, which might be same bottom ends parts in common 2.4 ltr 4 banger in regular Camrys (thus lots of potential parts at salvages).

Those NG Camry's are prized vehicle . . . easily selling for $9K to $12K for over 100K mileage vehicle. Vehicle is definitely worth getting fixed, but much more affordably than at dealer.

Comment

So the engine spun a bearing. I did let the engine get low on oil once that I remedied after discovering the condition but it was obviously too late I found a CNG shop and they are rebuilding the motor.
        Michael Williams
        2001 Toyota Camry

Comment

Good to hear you have diagnosis . . . even though costly. If just one bearing race is bad, you'll be paying lots just for tear down and put back together. Might as well put in all new bearings and upgrades to crankshaft while the bottom-end is all tore apart.

Hope you can stomach the bill once it's done.

Let us know when you're back up and running.

Comment

I am having the entire bottom end rebuilt. I should have the car back by weeks end.
            Michael Williams
            2001 Toyota Camry

Comment

Hope you are on the road soon. Be sure to follow the rebuilders break-in procedure to the letter. Let us know what the final outcome is, the cost and who did the work, as it could be helpful to others. I can testify that properly maintained the CNG Camry can run for a long time. Mine is at 262k with original engine and trans and runs like a top.
              -------------
              moore101
              2000 Toyota Camry CNG
              FuelMaker Phill v1.0

Comment

Hi I am about to buy a 2001 Camry with 100k miles on it, could you tell me what proper maintenance schedule is??? The current owner I believe has NEVER changed the fuel filter! No timing belt change or water pump either. I own a civic gx so the Camry is new to me

Originally posted by moore101 View Post
                Hope you are on the road soon. Be sure to follow the rebuilders break-in procedure to the letter. Let us know what the final outcome is, the cost and who did the work, as it could be helpful to others. I can testify that properly maintained the CNG Camry can run for a long time. Mine is at 262k with original engine and trans and runs like a top.
                2013 Chevy volt 2013 Ford C-Max Energi

Comment

Beware the Camry's CNG tanks will expire soon.

Comment

Working...
                  X