Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CNG/LNG vehicle differences

Hi,

Do the LNG trucks (Peterbuilt in particular) use 3600psi CNG tanks? Are the regulators the same? Could a LNG truck be used or converted to CNG operation?

I need to know the differences. Any tech info or links to it would be much appreciated.

I'm not familiar with LNG other than the basics. The fuel is gasified for the fuel rail and off gassing can occur if not consistantly consumed. Its a cleaner (pure) methane....

I was contacted by a possible client that has purchased some trucks and is trying to figure out the way to go with the trucks.

There is something new to learn every day and today is no exception.

Thanks , Oscar

Re: CNG/LNG vehicle differences

LNG is not stored at high pressure, so the whole fuel storage and delivery system would have to be replaced. Once it gets to the engine it should be easy to adapt.
    02 GX
    01 GX
    03 Crown Vic
    06 GX
    Home Fueler

Comment

I looked it up and you are right freedml. Once you get past the regulator, the fuel rail and injecors should be like any CNG system. I am guessing that includes the control system too.

If I am mis-speaking, please let me know. I need as much detail as possible.

Comment

Peterbilt currently offers two NG engine platforms- The Westport GX and the Cummins Westport ISL-G. The GX uses LNG as storage, creating CNG on board and injection up to 4500 psi. The ISL-G can be LNG or CNG as storage, and as already mentioned the NG is regulated and injected at the same pressure (~125psi).

Comment

If you want more info on LNG storage check out the website at nexgenfueling.com as they are the leader in LNG storage on vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by Dual-Fuel View Post
            If you want more info on LNG storage check out the website at nexgenfueling.com as they are the leader in LNG storage on vehicles.
            Of course this is a matter of one's opinion...

Comment

Who do you think the leaders are?

Comment

Originally posted by tomdotstar View Post
                Who do you think the leaders are?
                I made the comment because of the term "the leader". Different tank manufacturers have products which will work with various fuel system and engine applications. You cannot compare the two in the same light. I work closely with BTIC.

Comment

Converting LNG to high pressure CNG is not easy or cheap. If you put a small quantity of LNG in a pressure vessel and allow it to expand, it will eventually reach 4500 psig, depending on the size of the vessel, the amount of LNG, the ambient temps etc. If an LNG tank has 125 psig saturated pressure, it cannot directly feed a vessel where pressure is approaching high direct injection pressures (low pressure feeding a high pressure storage) unless a cryo-pump is used to boost pressures. Most of the LNG-CNG fuel systems do not boost pressure but allows the boil off LNG to feed low pressure manifold based injectors. Some, however, do use boosted pressures with the use of a pump.

Franz

Comment

NOGO - I checked out the website of BTIC and I saw no reference to LNG vehicle tanks. My comment about Nexgen being the leader in LNG storage on vehicles is definitely my opinion, but one that is backed by many years of experience and likely if you were to compare # of LNG vehicle tank sales between Nexgen and any others you wont find anyone close. I have no relationship with them, just making a point to the original post that was looking for LNG information. If there is some other company providing LNG tanks with the reliability and/or cost of the Nexgen tank, please advise as I am interested.
                    NOGO - interesting name you have picked for a forum about gas vehicles and alternative fuels.

Comment

Originally posted by Dual-Fuel View Post
                      NOGO - I checked out the website of BTIC and I saw no reference to LNG vehicle tanks. My comment about Nexgen being the leader in LNG storage on vehicles is definitely my opinion, but one that is backed by many years of experience and likely if you were to compare # of LNG vehicle tank sales between Nexgen and any others you wont find anyone close. I have no relationship with them, just making a point to the original post that was looking for LNG information. If there is some other company providing LNG tanks with the reliability and/or cost of the Nexgen tank, please advise as I am interested.
                      NOGO - interesting name you have picked for a forum about gas vehicles and alternative fuels.
                      My screenname is a nickname I have had for many years on a Nova forum because I own a classic Nova.

Im not allowed to post other site links yet, but here is the BTIC website: www dot bticwestport dot com. Keep in mind about 60% of the world's NGVs are in China. I cannot speak of LNG tank market share.
                      Last edited by NOGO; 08-18-2010, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X