Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

European natural gas vehicles

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • European natural gas vehicles

    Magnus,

    How do like your S60, any issues? We currently have an XC90 and we've been pretty happy with it, just wished it was bi-fuel. Does Volvo still sell bi-fuel cars in Sweden? When I contacted them a few months ago and I was told that they stopped selling them due to lack of interest. I wonder if the S60 or V70's can be imported here and if they are DOT approved? I've spotted a few used cars online in the UK that seemed to be in good condition.

    Just wondering how the bi-fuel Volvo's performed.

    Thanks,
    Al

  • #2
    Re: Alternatives to Phill?

    Originally posted by c2sox View Post
    Magnus,

    How do like your S60, any issues? We currently have an XC90 and we've been pretty happy with it, just wished it was bi-fuel. Does Volvo still sell bi-fuel cars in Sweden? When I contacted them a few months ago and I was told that they stopped selling them due to lack of interest. I wonder if the S60 or V70's can be imported here and if they are DOT approved? I've spotted a few used cars online in the UK that seemed to be in good condition.

    Just wondering how the bi-fuel Volvo's performed.

    Thanks,
    Al
    Hello there Al!

    I'm sorry to say that Volvo have stopped to produce CNG cars now according to "little interest" as they say.. I think it was a very bad timing by them to do that right now. Other car brands are on their way to release new models with CNG tanks, in our Swedish gas forum there are talks about

    Opel Corsa
    http://www.opel.ch/promo/index.cfm?lang=de&mnu=00,08,98
    http://www.tuningblogger.de/uploaded...as_Antrieb.jpg

    And also Audi A5 as CNG... One of those cars could be something for me when its time to change car...

    Volvo might start with the production of CNG models again if the demand rises.. You can still buy used Volvo cars though... But i don't know if there is much expertise to service the car for you in US (Volvo Technician with CNG knowledge).

    I think that the Volvo cars are the most popular CNG cars in Sweden.. So far anyway... The V70 and S60 CNG variant has 140hp. I like the car and have had no problems with it. I noticed one thing though. When the engine is still cold it sometimes loses power when you press the accelerator to go out on the main road or something like that.. only for half to one second or so.. My car have never died as a result of that. But other Volvo owners report that problem. I think that can be old engine software... But this is not a big problem.

    If you would like to find information about imports you could try to call Volvo Cars Corporation in Sweden. I don't know what is the best to call.. The switchboard (they suck at English.....) phone: +46 31 590 000 or a department called Global Customer Relations (they usually handles complaints i think but maybe also questions like that) i don't have their phone number in my head... But you can ask for it at the switchboard.. They also have a email address.. But you can not tell them i gave it to you..... ([email protected]) not sure you can send mail to that address from external.. But its worth a try

    I have been driving my Volvo for 40500 miles now since it was new (2005 yr model) and I'm still very happy with it. Only thing im a bit annoyed with compared with my old Volvo S40 is that the S60 is quite big car seen from the outside.. But inside its quite small... Backseat space could be better in this car... But comfort in the front seat are the best!

    I have spent some time in this car.. One weekend i was driving 1460 miles in just 48 hours (with sleep included) on a vacation trip to Norway.. And also 2500 miles in a one week trip to the most northern part in Sweden and then back again

    Well.. better stop talking now
    Last edited by taz; 12-28-2007, 03:28 PM.
    Fuel statistics -> http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/220326.html
    Volvo S60 Bi-Fuel Automatic -06
    Average consumption: 34,4MPG
    Living in Sweden (We don?t have polar bears on our streets)

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Alternatives to Phill?

      Volvo is a wholly owned subsidiary of Ford. When Ford got out of CNG, the well was poisoned for Volvo too.
      BiggJohn
      -------------------
      2000 CNG Camry
      VRA Wannabe

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: European natural gas vehicles

        Can you imagine how much corporate good will, not to mention sales, Ford could have got by introducing a cng and hybrid Edge. What a great vehicle for America. If GM built a cng Malibu it would also sell like crazy. Why can't these car companies see this? If GM just brought a boat load of Opels to the US and saw how fast they sold, that might tell them something (I know that the Feds would not let them sell them. . . ). I my gut I know it's going to take some foreign car company like Chery or Tata to do this. They will make a killing and we will miss out again.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: European natural gas vehicles

          I just got announced in the newspapers in Sweden a couple of days ago that Volvo Cars will cooperate with a CNG conversion company to have their new Volvo V70's converted to CNG+Ethanol..

          That means they will leave the new produced car that runs on Ethanol (E85) or Gasoline (either works) to the conversion company.. They will add CNG tanks in the back (loading area) raising the flor an inch or two.. Then the car will be sold at the usual Volvo sales office

          This is great news for CNG market in Sweden! This since Volvo cars are the most popular in Sweden!
          Fuel statistics -> http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/220326.html
          Volvo S60 Bi-Fuel Automatic -06
          Average consumption: 34,4MPG
          Living in Sweden (We don?t have polar bears on our streets)

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: European natural gas vehicles

            Can you talk them into sending these cars over to this side of the pond

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: European natural gas vehicles

              Originally posted by c2sox View Post
              Can you talk them into sending these cars over to this side of the pond
              Volvo has stopped making CNG cars but they will start again in coorporation with a CNG company that will convert the brand new cars.. The car that will be fitted with CNG kit is the Volvo V70 II that i know of now.. a very nice car.. it will have its gasoline or ethanol (tri-fuel car) tank intact.. (60-70 litres) and cng tanks will be placed in the back under the trunk floor.. The floor will be raised a little bit but not much..

              When i hear something more about this i can post some info here..

              I know that they have something called foreign sales at Volvocars.. Since you know they sell a LOT of Volvo cars in USA.. Mostly the XC90 SUV and C30 small car...

              Another very nice CNG car is Volkswagen Passat.. It will be released in december this year... also a Bi-Fuel car.. Gasoline/CNG gas..
              Fuel statistics -> http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/220326.html
              Volvo S60 Bi-Fuel Automatic -06
              Average consumption: 34,4MPG
              Living in Sweden (We don?t have polar bears on our streets)

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: European natural gas vehicles

                Originally posted by taz View Post
                Volvo has stopped making CNG cars but they will start again in coorporation with a CNG company that will convert the brand new cars.. The car that will be fitted with CNG kit is the Volvo V70 II that i know of now.. a very nice car.. it will have its gasoline or ethanol (tri-fuel car) tank intact.. (60-70 litres) and cng tanks will be placed in the back under the trunk floor.. The floor will be raised a little bit but not much..

                When i hear something more about this i can post some info here..

                I know that they have something called foreign sales at Volvocars.. Since you know they sell a LOT of Volvo cars in USA.. Mostly the XC90 SUV and C30 small car...

                Another very nice CNG car is Volkswagen Passat.. It will be released in december this year... also a Bi-Fuel car.. Gasoline/CNG gas..
                Do you know what components they are using?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: European natural gas vehicles

                  No but i guess its just to ask the company that does the conversion... But the cars are not ready to be produced yet, they are still testing the conversion out..
                  Fuel statistics -> http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/220326.html
                  Volvo S60 Bi-Fuel Automatic -06
                  Average consumption: 34,4MPG
                  Living in Sweden (We don?t have polar bears on our streets)

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X