drove my new toy today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drove my new toy today

I have been working on a 86 ford 3/4 ton to burn used motor oil. well I took it for a drive today and can not tell that it is not running on diesel .I start it on # 2 diesel and let it warm up than switch to used motor oil filtered to 2 microns first a wool filter than a750 luber finer holds 2and 1/2 gallons than a 2 micron spin on detroit secondairy it is heated with a heat exchanger from water to 180 before the first filter and again before going into the pump no more smoke than running on diesel I added a 165 gallon tank in the bed for traveling I will take it to maryland next week 1200 mile round trip will post how it gos when I get back I am taking a case of each filter with me LOL

Re: drove my new toy today

Cudos to your initiative. Id hate to see what the EPA would have to say about your system however...

Your idea sounds interesting, it might also be possible to mix heated motor oil with diesel/biodiesel if the motor oil eventually plugs up the injectors/injector pump. Diesel/kerosene is a very effective solvent to keep things clean.

Comment

I dont know yet what the tail pipe is .but I will try to get it tested just to see . this is not new tec. much I worked on ships that did this with bunker C or # 6 oil it is so thick that it becomes a solid at about 30 we whould run it at 250 to 260 to bring the water off and had to shovel the sand out of the fillters so waste oil is a lot better and with the dry diesel today the oil should make my pump and injectors last much longer guess we shall see I have been driving it for 3 days now it seems to smoke less with the heated oil than cold # 2diesel and it is a good way to get rid of all the old oil I was out on the west coast 10 years ago and had the oil changed in a big truck and they filtered it and pumped it into my fuel tank I did not like that but it did not seem to hurt anything no exter filters or anything like that mama seys it was 15 or 20 years ago have a great day

Comment

well it works well I am in maryland took 22 gallons about 27 mpg it is 601 miles it gets better milage on old oil than # 2 diesel must be more btus in the heavyer oil as this truck gets 23 or 24 on #2 diesel have not changed any filters yet and fuel pressure has not droped at all think I will go to florida next weekend and see if it keeps running not bad for free fuel

Comment

Woooooow. That's super cool. You should go to Jiffy Lube and ask for there used Oil. I wonder what kind of look you would get from the guy. LOL.

Comment

l I have been to md and florida and back home to tennessee and I have had zero problems not even changed filters yet with over2600 miles cheap is good but free is better

Comment

My son had a 1984 diesel Rabbit that he converted over to waste veg oil and on occasion would throw in his motor oil to the mix. He had it filtered to 2 microns as well and heated it to 160-180. He never said it ran better on that than the veg oil itself but would state that the veg oil was less power than the diesel.

He thought as long as he watched the filtering he could dispose of his motor oil and burn it up rather than set it on the curb and let another take it away.

Comment

I just got back to the house turned 5000 miles and 1 filter change and a good solid 25mpg not bad for 21 dollers in filters I have had 0 problems with this very seldom will something work out this well on the first try

Comment

it is still running no problems . the tail pipe is light grey not black as with #2 diesel . anyone got any ideas as to the why? it looks more like a gasoline burner it is also getting 2to3 more miles to the gallon .I also nead some imput on changing the coolant to a heat transfer fluid and raising the operating temp to about 250 and also the fuel temp. I think the thermal gain should give me more mpg and would like to see if I can get the pipe to look new LOL

Comment

If you want to go higher in temperature then the cooling water temperature then you need to go another route. The only thing hotter is to use the exhaust system to heat your oil. You need to add an air to oil heat exchanger in the exhaust stream and a way of controlling the temperature by diverting gas either through or around the heat exchanger as needed. I worked at GM back when we built trucks for the Alaskan pipeline and the engine exhaust passed right through the fuel tanks to keep the diesel fuel from gelling.

Comment

Yep, Alaska is another world . . . . a CNG station owner and convertor of F150 trucks said he converted around 100 pickups in AK, and that standard practice was to NEVER shut off a converted cng pickup (mainly used in oil fields), they ran 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, until they needed their oil changed ! Now that's a durability test !!

Comment

well I am at the next step I have set up my freightliner with a detroit 60 to use the oil and it is running great this is the first trip and I just fueled up at he truck stop and have goting 5.74 mpg it has averaged 5.14 for the last two years on # 2 diesel less smoke than cold diesel and this motor has a little heat exchanger when it was built now it has a big one LOL need biger tanks to carry more fuel as the rest of this trip I will be adding more diesel fuel and not saving as much money

Comment

Cowboy, you da man! It has been great to read
                          some of the creative things you have done - thank
                          you for sharing!

Comment

just turned 16000 miles no problems a few filter changes 3 I think still running good if I dont get a good purge on the pump and injectors it is a real sob to get running again in the winter I would not do this with a auto trans as the best way to get it started when I goof up is to hook a chain to it and pull it it will start right up even at 10 degrees pulling it but it dam near will not start with the starter if it aint purged I have been thinking that I might try a series parallal switch since I already have two batteries I got one off a b mack

Comment

Working...
                            X