Propane Fueled Vehicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Propane Fueled Vehicles

So far have not found any AZ Ford dealers signing on for the BAF CNG Conversions yet. Salesman called me from Sandersons trying to sell me the
    Rouch Propane Truck this week, said he had several in stock. But no they did not plan to offer CNG. Told him too bad, it felt like Ford had abandoned us, good bye.
    Dave Clement

Comment

Factory installed LPG bifuel systems were made for the f250 and f150hd at the same time the CNG bifuel trucks were made. They are out there and usually less than the CNG equipped versions.

Comment

et al,

The new website you need for the Roush F-150 is: http://www.propanetruck.us/

But don't get your hopes up. I think the ordering window has closed.

If you want the latest information on this program contact:

Greg Zilberfarb
        3203 Greenstone Way
        Oak Hill, Virginia 20171
        O: 703-779-4890
        H: 703-435-6744
        C: 703-626-4628
        [email protected]

He's the guy that started the whole project.

B/R,

afvman/Bill

Comment

Check out the Rousch Propane F-150. Liquid LP injection similiar to what Ford did around with about 25 Excursions around 2000. There is a pump built into the tank. It looks like a nice system, BUT it is not legal for sale in CA. It is about a $10,000 up fit. It has a small toridal tank that takes the place of the spare tire or an optional 60 gal in bed tank.

Mama won't let me have any more toys

larrycng

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis View Post
            I saw the Rousch truck in Vegas, pretty cool. I'm mid way through converting my 79 Elky to propane. Had to stop when I blew the 350 but have since dropped a 383 stroker into it. Gas prices immediately skyrocketed so I have been driving the GX exclusively as of late. I'll keep my fingers crossed when it's time to smog it again... dread...
            Propane in Ca seems to be limited to heavy trucks. Haven't seen anything else since the 70's. IMPCO is the king of LPG. They had a way cool converted Mustang in Vegas that they drove up from Texas, I think he said.
            Was that an EPA certified conversion you were doing on your elky? I thought EPA certified conversions were supposed to be done by factory trained installers? You were DIY'ing it? Oh wait, could this have perhaps been an 'illegal' conversion? Last I checked, 1979 cars are still governed by the clean air act.

Comment

By the way, upsizing your motor from 350 to 383 is illegal as well (as far as the EPA is concerned). Discussion of this material violates the TOS of this forum. We wont be discussing illegal activity on this forum.

Comment

actually it's only illegal if the engine wasn't offered by that make. in a car similar to that and i think it has to be the same year engine or newer. so in fact he could do that without any worries.

Comment

Yes, engine changes can be the same year or newer (can't go back). They must have all emission equipment they had when they left the factory (achieve certification) and it must be fully operational. Catalytic converters are required as well as evaporative system, (had those since '71 in calif, '73 federal I believe), computers, check engine light, etc.

Unless your 383 is a Mopar, it ain't legal -- but it is a nice package and they do run.

larrycng

Comment

Yes, the conversion is being done by a local propane company shop. I'm pretty fair with a wrench, but I know my limits. All emissions equipment is in place, there's no computers on this car, all performance parts carry CARB approval... and how did you know I had a MoPar engine in my Chevy?

Comment

1.69 Propane

Here's that station, it has gone up and down, I believe it is 1.79 now.
                      http://www.cngchat.com/photopost/sho...=451&ppuser=67
                      BLUE 09 GX

Comment

Re: 1.69 Propane

Originally posted by jetboatjohnny View Post
                        Here's that station, it has gone up and down, I believe it is 1.79 now.
                        http://www.cngchat.com/photopost/sho...=451&ppuser=67
                        That is very cheap. In AZ you are lucky to get LPG @ 2.25/gal.

Comment

Thanks for the info Techie. I'll be looking for some next week around Quartzite where it is usually a little cheaper.

Larrycng (& sometimes LPG)

Comment

you better make sure that EL camino is EPA certified. heaven forbid you gas yourself out because of a leaking fitting. What could happen if someone rear ended you with a propane tank in the back; thats a safety issue. what if someone asked you to grill a steak or a berger while driving.

Comment

Sigh, here we go again.

The EPA has no authority over a vehicles installation safety, only the emissions. Enforcement falls under state and local safety jurisdiction and the federal Department of Transportation.

Propane cylinders typically are under 200 psig, less than an air conditioning system. Fuel lines and fittings are rated for 5 times pressure (5 times 350 psig, or 1750 psig burst). LPG and CNG cylinders are rated for 4 times max pressure to be certified for use. In both cases, a properly installed fuel cylinder is an enhancement to the vehicle's safety structure, not a detriment. The key is properly installed, not plumbers strap or sheet metal screws.

As for upsizing an engine, both the EPA and CARB recognize engine rebuilding and service repairs (for example, an overbore on a stock engine, or a stroker within service limits). Putting in a 454 where a 4.3 was is not within service limits obviously, but a like engine resize could be. Lot more emphasis is on headers, camshafts, intakes, carbs, than with engine size.

In my case, a 383 SB Chevy looks identical on the outside as a 262 or a 267 (1978 and up Chev malibu and some Caprice's). To most people, a 396 looks almost identical to an 8.1 and some parts interchange.

Franz

Comment

I agree with Franz. The installation of curtis's system is legal as long as the LPG system had a carb EO# at the time of its manufacturer. It generally will be displayed on a decal that most mechanics put in the glove box of the vehicle. And the overbore is acceptable with in limits, but a change in the (effective) compression ratio is not (this has not been thoroughly address in my mind, because the overbore effectively raises compression even when using a factory replacement piston). The camshaft can also be swapped out for a better configuration as long as it carries an EO#. I have never heard of anyone calling someone to the plate for a violation, but if an officer stops you because your vehicle sounds like a top fuel car, he can issue a citation that would require you to see a referee ( Even if the vehicle does not require mandatory emission testing ). At that point you are guilty until proven innocent and must show that the aftermarket parts installed, carry an EO#. Never mind the fact that I have seen many Alternative fueled vehicles that operated far cleaner than the factory gasoline system. If Curtis's system is of the feed back variety, then it should run remarkably cleaner than the gasoline system it replaced. I would definately like to see some Don Gartlits style, sideways smoking, burnout photos when it is done!

Comment

Working...
                                X