Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City of Pomona Replaces Diesel Fleet with CNG Macks

July 17, 2012 – 2:00 pm | USA, Greensboro NC
    Pomona goes for an all-Mack alternative-fuel solid waste fleet.
    The City of Pomona, California, recently purchased 22 natural gas-powered Mack TerraPro Low Entry vehicles, converting its entire fleet from diesel to compressed natural gas (CNG) powered Bulldogs with the alternative-fuel technology. The vehicles are expected to be delivered in September 2012. The City ordered twenty TerraPro side-loaders and two rear-loaders for its solid waste management fleet. Read More »

Re: City of Pomona Replaces Diesel Fleet with CNG Macks

Considering I go to school in this city, I'm happy about Pomona's prominent embrace of alternative fuels.

I notice they are often at the forefront of getting AFVs. They even have an electric bus! However, I just hope they aren't overspending on AFVs to neglect other parts of government. The library is open 3-4 days a week, street cleaning is so infrequent I don't even know when it comes, neglected areas of citiy, etc. The good thing regarding CNG is, especially for these high-usage vehicles, the city will make back the extra expense within a few years.

On the side note, the Clean Energy station in Pomona is overpriced. It's almost $1/GGE more than the station in Azusa, which is a relatively short drive away. Anyone know how do we get CE to be more competitive regarding prices?

Comment

Originally posted by proeco View Post
      Considering I go to school in this city, I'm happy about Pomona's prominent embrace of alternative fuels.

I notice they are often at the forefront of getting AFVs. They even have an electric bus! However, I just hope they aren't overspending on AFVs to neglect other parts of government. The library is open 3-4 days a week, street cleaning is so infrequent I don't even know when it comes, neglected areas of citiy, etc. The good thing regarding CNG is, especially for these high-usage vehicles, the city will make back the extra expense within a few years.

On the side note, the Clean Energy station in Pomona is overpriced. It's almost $1/GGE more than the station in Azusa, which is a relatively short drive away. Anyone know how do we get CE to be more competitive regarding prices?
      yep dont buy gas at pomona ce and drive a little and vote with your money might even make some stickers with price and map of how to get to the station at azusa and just ride by and stick them on ce pumps every day or two once people find the cheaper gas they wont come back till they lower there prices

Comment

Haha, good idea!

When I return to the city in two months, I will post it up, right next to their sign pointing to the Ontario CE. With any luck, no one will take it down. It's unknown how often CE reps visit the station, because it is unmanned.

There is one thing I think will hinder my efforts, though. It seems like the transit fleet for the Foothill Transit (a decent sized bus system in the area) fills up at the Pomona station. I don't believe the drivers will care much about the price, since the bill is footed by taxpayers/government.

Comment

California is being price gouged by u-know-who monopoly big time.

Same situation applies to Palm Springs, CA which is $2.99/gge at u-know-who when nearby Thousand Palms, CA is only $1.79/gge at Sunline Transit. Need lots of Buyer Beware Knowledge with prices and maps at Palm Springs. Remember that ENTIRE state of Utah has public cng priced at $1.50/gge and many public cng pumps in OK have cng less than $1.50/gge, or at most $1.69/gge for brand new cng pump at Love's Gas Stations, etc.

Just couple years ago I filled at Desert Hot Springs, CA when it was $1.80/gge (again ran by u-know-who) and now price gouging at Desert Hot Springs has shot up to $3.10/gge !!! Simply incredible given fact that underlying natural gas commodity prices have dropped significantly from 2010 to 2012 (even reached dead bottom low price couple months ago at $1.98 per MMBtu - - - now back up to low $3/MMBtu). The new Enron is alive and well in California when it comes to cng public pricing . . . . and it's u-know-who.

Comment

Last year I was working in the Palm springs area,I went slightly out of my way each day to fill up at city of Riverside. I wish more stations could sell CNG at $1.18. Do you think they make any kind of profit or is the fuel subsidized ? Joe

Comment

Foothill Transit s electric buses are featured in this must see 20 min YouTube clip hosted by Jay Leno. Introduced by Dale Hill, Golden CO, in 2004, Proterra now has bus manufacturing plants in Greenville SC and City of Industry CA. Pomona buys energy credits to offset how the electricity is generated so it can be claimed the buses are using energy from wind turbines. The 35 ft bus in use on an 18mi loop carry the equivalent of 2 ga of fuel in the form of the charge in its battery pack. It passes through a charging station which brings the batteries from 20 to 90 per cent charge in 10 min. Bus the route runs about 10mph. Bus is projected to go 250,000 miles between brake jobs and gets 3.5mi/ga to yield 1100 passenger miles per gallon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JpMTWdPZ6c

The remainder of Foothill s fleet is CNG. Energy costs are not in for the electric fleet yet, but the agency used to pay $3.70/ga for diesel and now pays $.40/ga for CNG after rebate. The Proterra website offers a wealth of great information about the history of the company; models up to a 350 mile range bus with battery capacity of 660kWh; and a description of the fast charger:

https://www.proterra.com/technology/chargers/

Comment

Here's a video of how it is proposed to charge transit buses with coils in the roadway . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB7-5DDDGHo EV

Comment

Working...
                X