Curt's custom GX "The Clean Machine"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curt's custom GX "The Clean Machine"

I put this 2007 GX together as a promo for the station grand opening at the dealership, and the 1st annual cruise-in at Thunder on the Lot.

The 2007 GX was shod in 18" custom alloy wheels with low profile tires, Window tint, rear lip spoiler, wheel locks, and custom grafix package that said "Cleanest On Earth" on the rear window, "Refuel at Home" on the hood and "Clean Natural Gas" and "AT-PZEV" on both sides. The side splash had a cloud theme.

The car was a huge smash and subsequently purchased by one of my customers who didn't particularly mind getting a lot of attention as he drives around.

I'm looking forward to putting the next "Clean Machine" together for the upcoming 2nd annual Cruise-In and car show.
    Attached Files

Re: Curt's custom GX "The Clean Machine"

Hi Curtis:

I'm getting new rims. I have a 07' GX. Did you have to do something to the brakes or the rotors to get the 18" rims? Are those 5-bolt wheels?

What would you recommend for new rims? 18" may be a bit large for me.

Thanks for your time,
    CH

Comment

Actually, no. They went strait onto the car. The key is that they must have the proper offset. When buying new from a retailer you should have no problem there. The 18's were sharp on the car, but in '07 Honda only offered a 16" and 17" upgrade on the factory wheels. They've pushed it up to 18" this year.

I'd say it's all a matter of preference and what you want to spend. The 18's never rubbed and the guy I sold the car to has had no complaints. I'd say just buy what you think looks good on your car. You may not have noticed, but I went a bit over the top on the "Clean Mchine" because it was It was for a promotion... actually 2, my station grand opening and the 1st Annual Cruise-In at Thunder on the lot.

I don't think I'm going to do up a car for Thunder this year. I'll just bring my personal GX. It has Nav/DVD, Bluetooth, XM/Serius, Tint, Wheels, Graphics, Amp with rear speakers and more.

Comment

I finally found those pictures. The 18's almost give the car a lowered look without the expense of the lowering kit. They fill the wheel wells very well.

I think if I were to select tires/rims for my car again, I would center my decision around the tires. See what tire the new hybrids are using. Since they are a "Low Rolling Resistance" tire, they will increase mileage, and range is a critical issue to most ngv'ers. Then I would select a rim I like that would work with that tire.

Do some research, several manufacturers make LRR tires, Dunlop and Mechelin offer them I think. If you have a rim selected, see if either offer a tire for it, but specify LRR to maxamize your mileage. Better to pay a little more to go a little farther. My viewpoint anyways.

Best of luck. Post us some pictures of your ride when you get it done.
        Attached Files

Comment

Great shots!

When I first looked I thought you did put on a lift-kit.

As for the low-resistance tires I hated the stock tires.

I've some Dunlop Snow tires and they are 3X as good as the stock GXs.
          The same happened with w/ the Toyota Highlander. Michelin Truck tires rock.
          There is no substitute for good rubber.

I understand the MPG but life is too short - and there are a few reasons to live in Utah, next to Questar, with a state refueling depot opening up to the public.

One of the misconceptions about the GX is that it is low performance because of the reduced HP/Torque. Well, my Triumph TR6 had about the same and was definitely not low performance.

"... while the US-variant continued to be carburetted with a mere 104 hp (78 kW)."

One reason I got the GX was to drive it and not worry about the AAA Hybrid Driving School... Easy on the gas, don't quickly accelerate, gentle on the brake. . . . These folks are in for a shock when they realize that 55 MPG is not how people really drive.

What do think about getting Bob Bondurant to use the Honda GX for the Green Driving School?

Would you mind giving us a ballpark estimate of what the person paid for that beauty?

ch4
          CH

Comment

The car was about $30k with all the mods. One of a kind though. Saw him the other day, he loves the car! Trying to talk him into coming to the cruise in.

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis View Post
              I don't think I'm going to do up a car for Thunder this year. I'll just bring my personal GX. It has Nav/DVD, Bluetooth, XM/Serius, Tint, Wheels, Graphics, Amp with rear speakers and more.

Is your nav OEM or aftermarket? If it is OEM was it a special xfer from another
              Civic or were you able to order it that way? Joe Marina told me I couldnt order a GX with NAV. I only could get XM?
              Last edited by rgliedt; 05-22-2008, 06:22 AM.

Comment

what spoiler was used and will it fit on a '12?

Comment

Working...
                X