Just wondering...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just wondering...

I was wondering if anyone knows why the Civic GX does not come with rear speakers. I have owned 2 so far and neither has had them. I would like to install some speakers in the rear deck but I am worried that Honda didn't put the speakers back there for a reason. Anyone have any insight as to why the speakers are not back there?

Re: Just wondering...

The tank is so close to the rear deck that there isn't room for the speakers underneath there. You need to be careful mounting speakers up there as well. You don't want to nick the tank with a screw.

Toyota put some pod speakers above the rear deck in the CNG Camry. There's no reason you couldn't do something similar on the Civic.

I believe this has been covered previously on this board, do a search for it for more info.
    www.CNGUtah.com

Comment

There was a speaker shortage when they started making the GX, so Honda decided they could reduce the shortfall by 2000 speakers a year by not installing them in the rear of the GX.
      02 GX
      01 GX
      03 Crown Vic
      06 GX
      Home Fueler

Comment

you can't hear music from the rear of the car over the tank valve click and high pressure wine anyways. Or the tank offsets so much weight that no one sit in the rear two seats anyways (BTW that's why theres no middle seat belt). Or, they are still getting us back for WWII.
        sigpichttp://WWW.CNGMOTORS.COM
        SAVE TIME. SAVE MONEY. SAVE THE ENVIRONMENT.

2003 Hummer H2 bi-fuel
        2000 GMC Yukon XL bi-fuel
        1999 International 4700 dual-fuel
        2007 Chevy Avalanche bi-fuel

FMQ2-36 Fuelmaker w/ 24 GGE cascade

Comment

All the above answers aside, I have them in the rear doors on my 04, along with an amp under the pass side front seat. Most of the 06 and newer models have had either wedge, or box, type speakers set on the rear deck. Some just upgrade the front 2 speakers with something less enemic. For many that's a happy medium that will save a lot of time and work. Extreme caution needs to be exercised when doing anything that goes through, or into the rear deck due to the tank.
          Last edited by Curtis; 10-11-2008, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Can you give us a little more detail on the rear door install?

Comment

Originally posted by kuykendallc View Post
              Can you give us a little more detail on the rear door install?
              A picture is worth a thousand words.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Curtis; 10-12-2008, 10:32 PM.

Comment

does anyone know about the keyless entry honda made one to plug into the system P/N # 08E60-S5D-100 but I cant find any dealers who has one?

Comment

How about a bit more detail? What year GX are we talking about? I would suspect that a trip to a wrecking yard may yield one from an EX Civic. The only time I saw keyless added to an LX Civic, once it became an option, they had to tear out the center console. I know in my 98 EX it's also tied to the radio and programing the fobs has to be done with the radio. I know this because mine had a radio upgrade and the keyless no longer works.

In later years programing was done by a combination of cycleing the key on/off and pressing the remore buttons in a specific sequence. You need to take a trip to your Honda dealer and get the schematics for the GX, and a (same year model) EX that has the system to make sure that the system will transition, and that you have all the needed parts. They should be willing to print these out for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis View Post
                    A picture is worth a thousand words.
                    Curtis, can you take a picture further back so we can see the whole door? Can you also get a pic with the door closed so we can see the speaker placement in relation to the rear seat?

I'm thinking of putting 6x9s in the rear doors of my '98 but I laid a templete on it and they seem slightly too big. I'm undecided at the moment.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X