'07 GX: Locked My Keys In The Trunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '07 GX: Locked My Keys In The Trunk

Yesterday I locked my keys in the trunk of my '07 GX. I called the Auto Club to have them open the door. Once the Auto Club tow truck got there we found out a little more about the Honda security system.

The tow truck driver put the little "balloon" in the upper corner of the door, pumped it up to pry the door open enough to hit the inside door locks. He hit both the door lock switches on the front doors. Honda thwarted his efforts though; the door didn't unlock. He ended up having to pull the trunk lever on the floor. (then the horn blows)

It appears the security system works like this:
    You turn the engine off.
    You take the key out of the ignition.
    You get out of the car, close and lock the door.
    In about 30 seconds the security system disables the inside door locks.

Moral of the story: Don't lock one of your black keys and the valet (gray) key in the car, while leaving the other black key at home! (38 miles away, one way)

I'm going to the dealer to see about getting another valet key made. Something nice and flat to fit into my wallet.

Bill

Re: '07 GX: Locked My Keys In The Trunk

I have a 'bypass' module in my GX which lets me use $3 keys from a locksmith rather than $150 keys from the dealer. Then it makes sense to have plenty of extra keys and hide one somewhere on the car.
    02 GX
    01 GX
    03 Crown Vic
    06 GX
    Home Fueler

Comment

Originally posted by Green GX View Post
      Yesterday I locked my keys in the trunk of my '07 GX. I called the Auto Club to have them open the door. Once the Auto Club tow truck got there we found out a little more about the Honda security system.

The tow truck driver put the little "balloon" in the upper corner of the door, pumped it up to pry the door open enough to hit the inside door locks. He hit both the door lock switches on the front doors. Honda thwarted his efforts though; the door didn't unlock. He ended up having to pull the trunk lever on the floor. (then the horn blows)

It appears the security system works like this:
      You turn the engine off.
      You take the key out of the ignition.
      You get out of the car, close and lock the door.
      In about 30 seconds the security system disables the inside door locks.

Moral of the story: Don't lock one of your black keys and the valet (gray) key in the car, while leaving the other black key at home! (38 miles away, one way)

I'm going to the dealer to see about getting another valet key made. Something nice and flat to fit into my wallet.

Bill
      Honda doesn't make a flat, "dumb" key for the GX. By dumb I mean one without a chip that will start the engine.

So, what I did was bought a new valet (gray) key and skipped getting it programmed. ($20 at the dealer) The key will open the door, but shouldn't start the engine. I'll remove the gray plastic from the key and keep the flat metal part in my wallet.

I couldn't resist, I just had to see what the car does when you try to start the engine without a programmed key. The ignition lock turns like normal, all the lights light up, the engine cranks, but doesn't fire up. And, it turns a little key icon on the dash.

Bill

Comment

I was told my ignition keys for 2002 Civic GX have chips in key also, is that correct?
        Sold GX

Comment

My 2001 has chipped keys

Keep the ignition key on a lanyard. I ALWAYS loop it around the dispenser hose when fueling. On more than one occasion, have gotten back into the car ready to go and realized the key was still on the dispenser. Kind of hard to drive off with the hose using this method. I still love the "Nozzle Guy" video at CE stations, "Please unplug -- prevent drive aways!"

Couldn't find in the manual how to "un-select" the "lock-all-doors" when shifting into gear. I keep cars for decades and figure I could save wear and tear on the lock solenoids when just getting out to open the garage door.

Comment

I have 2001. I does have a chip in the key. AAA office made me a spare key, like the old days. White plastic, size of s credit card. It will however only unlock the doors. Since it doesn't have a chip. But it has saved me a few times. And you can't best the price..

Comment

JoeMechanic - Good to know, I almost forgot about those plastic wallet keys that CSAA used to do. Did not realize they could still make them.
              Sold GX

Comment

Working...
              X