99 GX multiple random misfire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99 GX multiple random misfire

I have had my civic at the dealership (San Tan Honda formally Honda Cars if Mesa) for a couple of days waiting for Honda to let me know if they will cover replacing my fuel injectors and cat on warrantee at 87k miles. A little background on this situation.

At 60k miles I complained about a misfire code and explained that I had replaced wires, plugs, cap, and rotor with aftermarket parts and still have misfires. The tech said the cause of the misfires are because of using aftermarket parts. He removed my new parts and discarded them and installed honda parts for around $400. I left the dealership discusted and with the same check engine light relit. The reason I did not return about the check engine light is that I didnt want to pay more money for random guesses as to what was wrong with the car.

At 75k miles I returned to the same dealership about a bad cat code that was from the injectors being bad and running to rich which burned the cat out. They replaced the cat under warrantee and I was off with a new cat burning it up with faulty injectors leaving me at my current problem at 87k miles.

I feel that Honda should pay for parts and labor as the problem first started under warrantee.

Anyone else have any bad experience with (San Tan Honda/ Honda Cars of Mesa)

Oh I had another problem with this car. Other than the engine mounts,trailing arm bushings, Multiple front brakes, and the AC compressor that exploded.

At 14k miles I complained about a buzzing noise coming from the engine compartment. First visit they cant replicate the buzzing noise. At around 20k miles again I complain about buzzing noise, they say it was timing belt tension too tight and adjust. At around 40k miles I again complain about noise and they say it is the exhaust heat shield and they bent the shield some. At around 50k miles I again complain of the same noise and tell them that it is the gas regulator that is making the noise and the tech agrees and replaces it. Now Honda was gracious enough to cover the cost of the regulator but charged me $152 labor to install something that was bad since 14k miles and I had the pleasure of of listening to the loud buzzing noise all the time I drove the car for 40 to 50k miles Yahoo!!

Anyway lets hope Honda pays to fix the car.

Does anyone know how I can contact Honda if they dont pay so I can explain what the dealer has put me through. I do have all the work orders to prove my little stories.

I am not sure if Honda would be interested in how San Tan performs or not.

Thanks for listening to my rants he he John

Re: 99 GX multiple random misfire

There is a special 15 year 150k mile warranty on the emissions system components which includes the regulator and perhaps the injectors as well. Don't have the text handy.
    02 GX
    01 GX
    03 Crown Vic
    06 GX
    Home Fueler

Comment

John,
      FWIW, a freind of mine is an independant repair dealer and said that if I ever get misfire codes (I understand that they are intrepreted by some crankshaft position sensor) to make sure I've had the valves adjusted. Honda says 60,000 but he says sooner. A lot cheaper than injectors. Neither one of us can see CNG injectors failing...
      Hope this helps.
      Jeff

Comment

I had all 4 injectors replaced and the Cat that burned out again. It runs good now when cold.

Honda paid for the cat and half of the injector cost. I guess the second cat on this car is for extra emission control to get the ulev rating. Im sure its burned out too but emissions testing here in Arizona doesnt care about the second cat working, they just check the engine computer for codes. No emissions are checked at the tail pipe.

Comment

John,

how were you able to get Honda to pay half of your cat replacement? I looked up that extended emissions warranty and it looks like it only covers 95-97 Hondas. Is it just because you complained to them? I am wondering because I too am having catalytic problems and am very interested in any help Honda may be able to offer. Thanks!

Comment

For the record, the emissions warranty for an Arizona car is 3/36. Only in Ca does the 15/150,000 apply. Pa has it's own emission warranty, but Az falls under the federal guidelines.

Honda customer service (corporate office in Torrence) is 800-999-1009.
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4586_1441434431016_578[/ATTACH]

Comment

I think they told me the warranty was 80000 for emissions parts. They paid the whole cost of the cat and half of the injectors. John

Comment

Just to keep you guys updated, I guess the Honda exhaust system warranty is for 8 years or 80k mi whichever comes first. I was sorely disappointed that I missed it by 6 mos! At least I won't have to pay a dealer to replace it though, they want $1500 to do it I am going to a local mechanic for about half that.

Comment

My fuel injector went out and I took it to Stevens Creek Honda in San Jose, ca and they told me my injector was bad. Didn't even mention an emissions warranty. So, I looked at the warranty for my 99 GX and fuel injectors are only covered for 8 years, not 15. Theres one of those * next to the fuel injectors. You know your screwed when you see the *. I just missed it. Dam. Only certain emissions parts are covered for 15 years here in California. If you signed up for the Honda Car care thing the warranty information is in a pdf file on the website.

FYI

Comment

Does anyone know what the emissions warranty is in Utah?

Comment

Originally posted by fo_stagnasty View Post
                      Does anyone know what the emissions warranty is in Utah?
                      Wouldn't the warranty rules apply to state that the vehicle was purchased? I didn't think they even sold GXs in Utah back then.
                      2008 GX (extended range, trunkless version)
                      Polished Metal Metallic 2012 Civic Natural Gas
                      Fuelmaker FMQ-2-36 (since 2001)
                      Previously owned: 2000 GX (11 years), 1995 Bi-fuel Sonoma, 2000 Bifuel Tahoe, 2000 Bi-fuel F150

Comment

That's a good question. I bought the car in NY where I believe it was purchased new as a fleet vehicle. Anybody able to clear that up? Think I "may" be needing a new injector or two and I'm wondering if the emissions warranty will cover it should that be the case. It's a 2001 and has 68K miles.

Comment

Let me run down my problem just in case I'm barking up the wrong tree.

The car has misfired ever since I bought it, rarely at first, but more so lately. I started with the fuel filter, then replaced the sparkplugs with the NGK Iridiums listed on their website hoping this would help. The misfire seemed to disappear completely for a couple of days and then returned with a vengence. Anyone had any bad experiences with the NGK Iridiums? Should I go back to the platinums?

I then purchased one new coilpack and traded it out on each cylinder. No position completely alleviated the problem so if coilpacks are the problem its apparently more than just one. I tested all the coilpacks resistance against the new one and looked for tracking but found none. (maybe I should invest in the other three...are coilpacks generally done around 70K anyway?)

Anyway, I'm about the swap out both O2 sensors, at 68K I'm thinking they probably need changing anyway.

I'm probably being foolish, I just hate giving the dealer $200 just to look at it when I could spend that money on things the car needs anyway and possibly run across the reason for the misfire.

Anyway, if it's not the plugs, coilpacks, or O2 sensors I'm thinking it's probably the injectors and any help in weaseling outta paying for those (via the emissions warranty) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

If you're in Ca you have the 15 yr/ 150k mi warranty on just about anything that would effect the emissions. Outside, Ca... No amount of weaseling will help. From what I've seen and experienced, it's usually injectors and or multiple coil packs. One advantage of having it professionally diagnosed it that replacing parts randomly will run lots more than the $200 you are trying to save. I've seen the mechanics have fits with them from time to time because it's a mixture of causes and parts that don't directly present themselves.

Comment

By the way, search the forum (search tool) for random misfire, or misfire). This isn't that uncommon and has been discussed in several threads.

Comment

Working...
                              X