Electronic Load Detector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electronic Load Detector

Does anyone know how hard this is to install? I had my '02 GX in to the Honda dealer in Phoenix and they wanted $530 for the part and install. They were pretty sure that the Electronic Load Detector would fix the problem. I found another dealer in Mesa that will do the same thing for $330, but it looks like the ELD is in the fuse box and I could just do it myself? Anyone?

FYI - the symptoms my car has been having:

-When cold, engine will die if steering wheel is turned all the way or if the car comes to a sudden stop

- Check engine light is on

- Rough idle, especially when the car is in drive.

Thanks,
    Brett

Re: Electronic Load Detector

Makes the check engine lite come on ? Something that would cause it to fail a smog test. Sure sounds like something covered under the 8 yr/80,000 mile emissions warranty.

Comment

what code did they pull? any problem with lights dimming when driving, does blower speed
      seem to change when driving? you can monitor voltage when driving for poss alt problem
      also. the eld is easy to replace if ...
      Mark Sprowls
      Joe Marina Honda
      Tulsa, Oklahoma
      918-760-3136
      08 GX Black

Comment

Not sure what code they pulled. My bill says something about a 385 IP, and a 64431, but I'm doubting that those are even codes. I know that the diagnosis was giving them fits and that they were back and forth on the phone with Honda. The lights don't dim noticeably when driving, and I haven't noticed anything with the blower speed. I'd imagine that they checked out the alternator but I'm not sure.

ELD is easy to replace if... ?

Originally posted by cngmark View Post
        what code did they pull? any problem with lights dimming when driving, does blower speed
        seem to change when driving? you can monitor voltage when driving for poss alt problem
        also. the eld is easy to replace if ...

Comment

I might have to look into that. I have a warranty from Penn Warranty Corp, but they won't pay for any of this. Honda seems to be pretty solid with their warranty stuff though.

Originally posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
          Makes the check engine lite come on ? Something that would cause it to fail a smog test. Sure sounds like something covered under the 8 yr/80,000 mile emissions warranty.

Comment

As far as the Honda warranties go, look in the factory warranty book you received with the car. The last 2 or 3 pages will list every part that is covered by the extended emissions warranty. You have 8/80 on most everything if you are in Calif. Even if the cat is a Ca car originally, once you leave Ca. you will default to the Federal, which will also be listed in the same location in the book.
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4586_1441434431016_578[/ATTACH]

Comment

There is a 15 year 150k warranty on emissions-related components for PZEVs in California. There is also a recently issued 100k warranty on the transmission, which I would have them look at as they caused stalling problems on my 2001 and 2002, both recently replaced under warranty. Aftermarket warranties generally exclude 'weird' components like CNG or CVTs.
              02 GX
              01 GX
              03 Crown Vic
              06 GX
              Home Fueler

Comment

Extra tank and warranty

Thanks for the warranty updates. I would be able to do something with that, but I have an extra tank installed. Unfortunately, Honda won't warranty anything because of the extra tank. "We can't back up someone else's work", the service rep told me.

I talked with Todd from Honda America and I thought he was going to help me get it covered under warranty. That was until he found out I had an extra tank, then the case was pretty much closed. I told him that the problems were the same before the tank was installed and that I even took my car into Ken Garff Honda in SLC before the tank was installed so there is an official record of those problems. (Ken Garff fixed one issue and ignored the others). I would think this would be proof of the tank not being the source of the issue, but Todd wouldn't listen to "my way of seeing things".

Is anyone else having problems with the extra tank being used as a scapegoat? Both CNG Motors (Murphy knows his stuff well) and SNO Motion (I'm also impressed with them) tell me it is ridiculous to blame problems on the extra tank. Furthermore, the fact that the problems the car was having pre and post-tank install were just the same, suggest the extra tank is not the issue. (SNO Motion installed the extra tank.)

Honda seems to be super solid with warranty stuff, so maybe this is an anomaly? I'm stoked that Honda was even CONSIDERING covering this under warranty, so I don't mean to complain. Just a little confused at them using the tank as a scapegoat.

Comment

Working...
                X